Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Software recommendations please

Hi! After several years of using Lightroom 5 ( and rather enjoying it ) I'm looking at expanding my small library of software to enable me to do a little bit more. I'm looking for recommendations for software that allows me to do: ( apologies if I use the incorrect terminology )

Layering - For example, stitching an AstroTraced night sky over a non-Traced foreground.
HDR merging - Probably the same as above, but just the ability to merge bracketed photos together.
Focus stacking - Layers again perhaps? Intended for use with landscape photography, but will probably move into macro work at some point as well.
Regular stacking - For star trails, or to otherwise simulate longer exposures.

- Extra capabilities that would be a bonus:

Stitching panoramas - I currently use a free program that I downloaded off the Microsoft website for this. I've found it to be very good, but it's just another step in a process that could be covered by just one piece of software.
Standalone software - I'm not really interested in paying a monthly subscription for the software. I bought Lightroom outright, and have not regretted it. I would prefer to do the same again.
Just one program! - However, if one cannot do it all, I would happily consider using other software programs for certain functions.
Inexpensive - I can't really justify spending up big.

Perhaps for a little more context, I've been experimenting a little recently with panoramas and have taken some shots that require both focus stacking and stitching together to get the finished product that I envisaged, which juggling between different programs might begin to get pretty messy/time consuming. I've also taken some AstroTraced photos I'd like to polish off. I've been considering Photoshop Elements 15, which I understand would work in well with Lightroom; however I've also heard that Elements does not do focus stacking very well. Any clarification on that or otherwise some different software recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

08-25-2017, 05:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a look at Affinity Photo. USD50 and I think does everything on your list.
08-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Paid: Corel Paintshop Pro 2018 Ultimate (only option that comes to my mind right away) + Topaz Labs selection of plug ins or Nik Software (free)
Paid: Kolor Autopano Giga
Free: Gimp
Free: Nik Software
Free: Hugin

Download trials and try it out... the best way to see if it is working for you.
08-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #4

You can also take a look at On1 Photo RAW: ON1, Inc. – Award Winning Photography Software and Plug-ins
Non-destructive RAW editor.
Buy once.
30 Day trial.

08-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cool, thanks for the replies. I've been looking at reviews, and it seems I'm pretty spoiled for choice. On1 intrigued me to begin with, having Lightroom plug-ins; however some of the other programs would likely replace Lightroom altogether. Affinity looks good, as does Corel Paintshop. I haven't looked at any of the plugins or freeware yet.

I'll keep looking at reviews and reading articles and see what I settle on. Thanks again!
08-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You could just upgrade Lr 5 to Lr CC and get Photoshop. It's the standard for all that stuff, and one huge benefit is that there are more educational materials for it, live courses, etc than any other product by far.

You could also try the public beta of Luminar by Macphun. It's easier to use than either Affinity Photo or Lr, and has a nice simple implementation of layers (at least on macOS; I assume the PC version is similar. And the beta is free I believe: Luminar for Windows is coming. Join Beta
08-29-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'll echo Oakland Rob and suggest CC. I know a lot of people don't like the subscription model but I've found it a good solution for a very reasonable price. If you don't like it after a while, you can always drop it. I still use Lightroom for 90% or more of my editing but Photoshop does everything if I need it and there are plenty of tutorials to help you learn it.