Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Does this photo need post processing?
Yes 541.67%
No 758.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Does this need post processing?

I am still pretty new at post-processing. I usually only do a slight layer adjustment and try to sharpen a little bit. However, I'm not sure this picture really needs any. What do you think?

p.s. I just got this lens (smcp fa 50mm f/1.4) in the mail tonight and was so excited to try it out - wow....

08-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If it wasn't for the streak/smear whatever in the upper right corner, I'd say it is perfect as is. But the streak/sploch needs to go. Otherwise I'd say this is great!
08-23-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
If it wasn't for the streak/smear whatever in the upper right corner, I'd say it is perfect as is. But the streak/sploch needs to go. Otherwise I'd say this is great!

That's the reflection of the handle bar but yes clone/stamp that out.
08-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Forum Member

Why? I mean it was there in the original picture and isn't a film flaw or anything, so why insist that it go?

I would leave it.

08-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Personally, I'd leave it too.
08-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would leave it.

It is hard to process the shot without losing that subtle lighting on the logo.

I would not mind to add radiant gradient with a touch of cloud difference.
08-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

that reflection is very distracting, but only if you notice it. I only saw it cause you guys mentioned it. Now that I see it, I don't want it there...

08-29-2008, 12:19 AM   #8
Inactive Account

awesome photo, seriously.
Re the handle bar reflection, it doesn't bug me.
08-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I would not mind to add radiant gradient with a touch of cloud difference.
Forgive my ignorance, but how would you describe these effects?
08-29-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bartonkj Quote
Forgive my ignorance, but how would you describe these effects?

I think he meant just add a reflection with clouds in a sky.

Seriously though if this were for say an ad campaign, the creative in charge would want nothing distracting from the main focus...in this case the Harley Emblem and the handle bar reflection takes away from the main focus. if you were showing a shot that wasn't as tight say framing in the engine and fairings then the handle reflection wouldn't distract but since the frame is tight on the emblem the handle is distracting

but it's your shot, you're final decision, if it were to be sold for and ad then final say would be client.
09-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
If it were my shot (I would be proud if it were, a wall hanger) I would clone out the reflection. Just try and see which you prefere, I just think it would clean up a good image to a great image.
09-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

too many photos with details removed these days to make them "perfect". I say keep the reflection, it's part of the bike, after all... you wouldn't go to take that picture and cut off the handlebars with a hacksaw just to remove that reflection, would you?
09-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #13

Nice pic.. leave as is.

I just knew it was taken with a fa 50mm f/1.4 as soon as I saw it.. after I scrolled down a bit I saw the confirmation
09-10-2008, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Don't touch that reflection! Without it that shot is just an OOF medallion on a convex piece of metal. With it, you have a great shot of the pristine tank on a genuine Harley Davidson.

My opinion, since you're asking , is that people are generally too eager to alter photos they take. The world is a pretty spectacular place and beautiful images of it have been made for a century or so now without having to boost saturation and contrast or cloning/dodging/burning every subtle "imperfection" out of them.
Sure there is a place for post-processing to improve the quality or aesthetic of a given photo, or to add an artistic touch, but in my concerted opinion more often than not what's coming through the lens needs no further interpretation.
09-11-2008, 12:00 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Don't touch that reflection! Without it that shot is just an OOF medallion on a convex piece of metal. With it, you have a great shot of the pristine tank on a genuine Harley Davidson.
Yep. In fact if anything, enhance it! It provides context to the medallion.