Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2017, 04:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom Upgrade Caution

I upgraded recently from LR5 to LR6.

Last weekend I inadvertently opened LR5 (due to a quick-launch shortcut that I have since corrected) and spent a couple of hours poking through photos, editing them and moving them to other folders. A few days later I opened LR6 and found a bunch of "The file could not be found" messages on photos. Clearly a disconnect between LR5 and LR6, and also clearly my fault, but I'm a bit annoyed that the upgrade process didn't either uninstall or deactivate the older version of LR. I can't recall all the moves I made, so I can't go into LR5, move the photos back where they were and then go back to LR6. I'm resigned to having lost a few hours of my extremely valueless time.

I looked at Control Panel / Programs and Features and found that I currently have three versions of LR installed on my computer. Generally I'm a fan of being able to make my own decisions on things like this so I shouldn't be annoyed except that I lost some work.

So if you're not already aware, note that the LR upgrade process does not uninstall or over-write the previous version and if you have any shortcuts to the program you could get into some trouble...

In any event, my opinion is that upgrading to LR6 from LR5 was not worth my time or money. It still doesn't recognize my DA 16-85 lens (sadly, this is largely why I upgraded) and doesn't really have anything new (native HDR is useful though).

09-27-2017, 05:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
It still doesn't recognize my DA 16-85 lens (sadly, this is largely why I upgraded) and doesn't really have anything new (native HDR is useful though).
If you spend some time with Google you'll find that even LR 3 can be made to use the most recent lens profiles for free (as they are delivered by the free DNG converter).
Lenses are definitely no reason to ever upgrade LR or ACR.
09-27-2017, 05:27 AM   #3

Catalog Issue?

On your managing multiple versions, did you check to see if the previous version was sharing the same catalog DB? I think you can check the preferences of LR and see what it's using. It might be possible during the update to 6 that you can import and preserve previous version catalogs.

(I did do an upgrade last year from 5 to ver 6 and once that upgrade was behind me I haven't had an issue - catalog mgt is the most important aspect of LR I think as that's how it does in non-destructive edit management).
09-27-2017, 05:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

With your LR 6 Catalog open, go to File > Import From Another Catalog and then select your old LR 5 catalog where you made the changes.

It will find the files you moved and any with changes. Examine the options carefully before proceeding, you'd want to make sure you add the missing files in their existing locations (as opposed to copying to a new location which would duplicate the file on your hard drive).

Things are a little trickier with the edits, you do have the option of making virtual copies that will keep the edits in your LR5 catalog from overwriting the edits in your LR6 catalog. I'd suggest to turn this on if you're unsure. I'd also suggest you test it on a handful of files to make sure this process behaves the way you'd want it to.

09-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
If you spend some time with Google you'll find that even LR 3 can be made to use the most recent lens profiles for free (as they are delivered by the free DNG converter).
+1. What he said.
09-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adoble Downloader Tool - What's Next?

I've downloaded the Adobe lens profile downloader but what do I do with it now? I checked on-line, specifically You Tube and found only one video but it was a in an unknown language. Can anyone either point me in the right direction or explain how to use this tool to import a new lens profile into Lightroom 5?
09-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
In any event, my opinion is that upgrading to LR6 from LR5 was not worth my time or money. It still doesn't recognize my DA 16-85 lens (sadly, this is largely why I upgraded) and doesn't really have anything new (native HDR is useful though).
Admittedly, I do use the CC version of LR6, however the DA 16-85 lens is definitely in the list of lens profiles in the Lens Corrections tab of the Develop module - see attachment. If I recall correctly once you have selected the profile manually once or twice, LR will automatically pick that profile when your check the "Enable Profile Corrections" box.
And as far as improvements go, the Dehaze tool alone is worth the price of admission IMHO.

Attached Images

09-30-2017, 12:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
I've downloaded the Adobe lens profile downloader but what do I do with it now? I checked on-line, specifically You Tube and found only one video but it was a in an unknown language. Can anyone either point me in the right direction or explain how to use this tool to import a new lens profile into Lightroom 5?
In short (the rest you have to google and try out yourself or actually the great Adobe support you pay for quite some money has to tell you):
  1. No need for the downloader.
  2. Download and install most recent DNG converter.
  3. Search for the .lcp files of your desire that now landed on your hdd somewhere
  4. copy them to C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded\ and C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded\
  5. restart LR
  6. now manually choose the profile and make/save it as standard for that lens.
If it doesnt work, you made some errors. Obviously this all only applies to raw files.
09-30-2017, 09:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

In short (the rest you have to google and try out yourself or actually the great Adobe support you pay for quite some money has to tell you):
  1. No need for the downloader.
  2. Download and install most recent DNG converter.
  3. Search for the .lcp files of your desire that now landed on your hdd somewhere
  4. copy them to C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded\ and C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded\
  5. restart LR
  6. now manually choose the profile and make/save it as standard for that lens.
If it doesnt work, you made some errors. Obviously this all only applies to raw files.
I did it all but can't find any of the support files such as .lcp. I did a search and still nothing, although DGN Converter appears to work.
10-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adobe Lens Profiles

I've downloaded the Adobe lens profile downloader but what do I do with it now?
Quoting from the Adobe support page:
Adobe Lens Profile Downloader 1.0.1

Adobe Lens Profile Downloader is a free companion application to Photoshop CS6, Photoshop Lightroom 4, and the Camera Raw 7 plug-in. It allows customers to search, download, rate and comment on the online lens correction profiles that are created and shared by the user community.

In short it only helps you find profiles created by other users. It does not install the profiles.

Camera and lens profiles are found in the following locations:

Windows -

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\CameraProfiles\Camera
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0

Once you get to the 1.0 directory, it has subdirectories under it for each lens brand and under each brand a file for each lens.
10-02-2017, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I did it all but can't find any of the support files such as .lcp. I did a search and still nothing, although DGN Converter appears to work.
I installed the dng converter the other day and found the .lcp files somewhere under C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw
10-02-2017, 07:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

DNG Converter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I installed the dng converter the other day and found the .lcp files somewhere under C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw
Well that is strange. I'm going to uninstall it and the AIR program from Adobe (what ever it is) and download again.

---------- Post added 10-02-2017 at 09:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
Quoting from the Adobe support page:
Adobe Lens Profile Downloader 1.0.1

Adobe Lens Profile Downloader is a free companion application to Photoshop CS6, Photoshop Lightroom 4, and the Camera Raw 7 plug-in. It allows customers to search, download, rate and comment on the online lens correction profiles that are created and shared by the user community.

In short it only helps you find profiles created by other users. It does not install the profiles.

Camera and lens profiles are found in the following locations:

Windows -

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\CameraProfiles\Camera
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0

Once you get to the 1.0 directory, it has subdirectories under it for each lens brand and under each brand a file for each lens.
That is where the existing lens profiles are. I have found those. What I haven't found are the new profiles that are supposed to be available from Adobe DNG Converter. I have searched everywhere.

---------- Post added 10-02-2017 at 09:50 AM ----------

I reinstalled it and found the folders but they remain empty. Clearly I'm missing something.
10-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I found them. They were in programdata files not program.