Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for a Large Format Printer or Plotter. Suggestions?!

My work is looking to replace a 15 year old HP plotter and is asking for suggestions...

The current one takes 42" rolls of paper and has two tracks, so based on settings the plotter will switch between bond and photo paper automatically.

Is there an advantage for a printer vs a plotter?

Content is 99% images/maps.
We are a GIS cooperative, so the majority of our prints are cartographic.

Only requirement is to not go backwards - the new plotter/printer must handle automatic switching between the two rolls, and shouldn't be smaller than 42" paper width.

If you have advice/suggestions please let me know!

Cheers all!

09-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
CDW
Site Supporter

I've used large format fine art/photographic printers for over ten years--Canon along with one ill-advised excursion with an HP. If most of your work is cartographic, I doubt you'll be interested in a large format printer especially designed for art/gallery quality printing needs. I'm not aware of any model that will automatically switch between two rolls. Photographic quality printers will yield far better image quality for art reproduction vs plotters. Most photo/fine art printers utilize 10-12 color print systems, have wider color gamut, accept 16 bit files and have profiles for a wide variety of branded and generic paper types, including canvas. I think your goals may not be easily reconciled.
09-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Epson has a few 2 roll models but don't know if they auto-switch.