Installed on my newer Macs:
17" mid 2010 HDD
15" mid 2012 SSD
15" mid 2016 SSD
Good news, all is working as it should.

09-28-2017, 05:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wacom tablets don't currently work with High Sierra so if you use one, you might want to wait until Wacom gets off their butts and makes a new driver. It's the reason I'm holding off for now. Sometime in October.
09-28-2017, 05:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My 2009 mini won't even run Sierra, let alone High Sierra
09-28-2017, 06:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
My 2009 mini won't even run Sierra, let alone High Sierra
There are ways to do that...but they vary in success rate

09-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What does High Sierra have that Sierra does not and are any improvements/new features relevant for photographers? I’ve kind of reached a saturation point for new Apple features that I do not need on both my iPhone and my Macs.
09-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
What does High Sierra have that Sierra does not and are any improvements/new features relevant for photographers? I’ve kind of reached a saturation point for new Apple features that I do not need on both my iPhone and my Macs.
High Sierra is basically the same as what snow leopard was to leopard.
Underhood refinement without a whole lot of new features. (on the surface)

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Wacom tablets don't currently work with High Sierra so if you use one, you might want to wait until Wacom gets off their butts and makes a new driver. It's the reason I'm holding off for now. Sometime in October.
Mine still works fine.
Intous touch small i think
09-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
The biggest thing is the new filesystem (APFS), which is (generally) faster, and less prone to data corruption than the current file system (HFS+).

09-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The new file system only works on flash drives, too. It won't work with a hard drive or fusion drive.

I haven't updated yet but probably will soon. I'm 3/4 of the way done with a newsletter I do every month and I'm waiting until I'm finished. I've never had a problem in the past but I want to get this project done "just in case". I don't really have time to deal with any hassles right now. I'm really looking forward to the new Safari feature that blocks auto play videos.
09-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The new file system only works on flash drives, too. It won't work with a hard drive or fusion drive.

I haven't updated yet but probably will soon. I'm 3/4 of the way done with a newsletter I do every month and I'm waiting until I'm finished. I've never had a problem in the past but I want to get this project done "just in case". I don't really have time to deal with any hassles right now. I'm really looking forward to the new Safari feature that blocks auto play videos.
A bit of an exaggeration. Non-flash drives aren't automatically converted to the new file system, but they can be converted. Fusion drives are not supported yet, but I suspect that is due to a late-running bug, judging by the back off from the pre-release versions.
09-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
A bit of an exaggeration. Non-flash drives aren't automatically converted to the new file system, but they can be converted. Fusion drives are not supported yet, but I suspect that is due to a late-running bug, judging by the back off from the pre-release versions.
Fusion support is confirmed to be coming in a future update.
09-29-2017, 06:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I just based this on an article in Ars Technica which stated the new file system only supported systems with all flash storage at this time. They most likely will fix this. While all flash is becoming common in computers these days, a lot of people are still using hard drives for external storage, backups, etc and I can't imagine Apple not addressing this.

For me, I'm never in a rush to update. I always wait a couple of weeks because there are always issues that pop up.
09-29-2017, 07:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

High Sierra finally breaks Adobe CS4 apps.
10-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Wacom tablets don't currently work with High Sierra
My tablet works fine with High Sierra. Install went without a hitch and afterwards I seem to have recovered several gigs of available HD space. I also managed to finally get rid of all those pesky garage band files that took up mega space on my hard drive even after trashing the program.
10-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple of gotchas: Airfoil must be upgraded; the older version can really bork your system. Some have had graphics flickering; I got it, and one recommended fix was to zap the NVRAM. I haven't been able to reproduce it yet. At one point High Sierra erased my list of startup items (on two computers). Yuck, but adding them back solved that.

Do NOT format your TM volumes as APFS; leave them as HFS+. TM can still back up your APFS volumes, but it can't use an APFS volume as the repository of a TM backup (at least now; dunno if that'll change).

Apple's Photos gets some project extensions, so you can to the MAS and get say a Shutterfly extension to print stuff. But I think the most important upgrade is that Photos now has an "Edit with..." command. So you can say "Edit with..." to Nik's Silver Efex, and when you hit "save" you get a TIFF back in Photos. Nice.

Lots of disk management type applications don't work, like Tech Tool Pro. Superduper has a beta out for High Sierra, but they aren't exactly hot on using APFS.
10-28-2017, 04:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Capture One 9 is broken on my system

And version 10 is described as

QuoteQuote:
Compatible with Mac OSX 10.11.6 or macOS 10.12.x
See Phase One download page

So that's disappointing ...