Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2017, 09:49 PM   #1

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best all in one Photo Printer?

It's time to upgrade..who's using what & why?

HP / Canon / Epson...?? best DPI/resolution for large file photo prints?

All Ears... Let's hear what all you folks like/use...

10-08-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My main printer is the Epson SureColor P800 inkjet printer, although I'd have total confidence in the P400 or P600 if I didn't need as much volume. 9 HD pigment-based inks, up to 17x22" sheet paper, advanced black & white mode, and Wifi.

Epson SureColor P800 Inkjet Printer SCP800SE B&H Photo Video

For anything larger, I use an older large format Epson Stylus Pro 9800 (44" width) inkjet printer.

The key to quality is testing through trial and error many different inkjet papers and tweaking the print driver settings. Most times, the best results come with 'Epson Color Controls" and "Printer Manages Color" instead of ColorSync or "Photoshop Manages Color".

If I need to crank out prints, I use a DNP DS80 dye sublimation printer (up to 8x12"). It's almost as good as Sony's now discontinued dye sub printer, but doesn't produce neutral gray tones like the Sony did. Nevertheless, it's fast and is a work horse.

Whoops...all-in-one? I use a cheap (under $50 new) Epson XP-434 at home for scanning and printing mostly text.
10-09-2017, 01:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I use all in one A4 format XP- 750. I use ultra glossy, premium glossy and premium semigloss Epson paper (and original inks) for best results. If you want to print to put your pictures on the wall, behind a glass, the best is semigloss. The advice about to let color management at the printer is correct.

Best Regards.
10-09-2017, 04:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Epson and Canon produce fine printers for home, semi pro or pro. You will need to decide on features needed and your budget

Between similar size printers in these ranges DPI is really irrelevant - it means the amount of ink the printer lays down and may even be listed as Draft, Standard or High. What will be of importance maintaining highest IQ is the PPI you are sending to the printer either 300/600 ppi or 360/720 ppi Canon or Epson respectively.

You need to decide what size you are printing and if you are using Photoshop or Lightroom and are using soft proofing within a proper colour managed workflow you should use Application manages Colour should you wish to match print to screen. Letting Printer manage colour is a poor choice generally for accurate printing, although this does not mean you will not get a 'nice print', just no guarantee of a match or even consistent results

For everyday printing I am happy with a Canon Ts8050, but for A3 printing use a now discontinued HP B9180

10-09-2017, 07:28 AM   #5
Unregistered User

I've used many Canon and Epson printers at various levels. All of the Epsons have had head clogging problems, none of the Canons have. I could get better quality out of the Epsons with the K3 inks, but I don't think they come in an "all-in-one" (Printer, Copier, Scanner) version. I have had good results with Printer Manages Color printing, but only with certain papers, generally the "standard" premium glossy or luster. Most modern newer monitors or LCD screens are pretty close "out of the box" and only need minor tweaking. Beware of older or cheap monitors. You can get better results from fine tuning your color management, but it is a lot of work with no guarantees. Your printer should have least 8 inks. What ever printer you choose, only use OEM inks.
10-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a Epson 6 Claria inks all in one printer (RX-595 purchased refurbished about 8 years), which still works great. I use the copying, scanning and printing features. Recently I attached the "printer potty" to it.
-- It sits for 1-2 months sometimes between prints and has never clogged.
-- Epson's luster, glossy and matte paper results look great.**
-- Matte results are indistinguishable from the large Epson roll printers (never compared others).
-- RX-595 has flexibility of custom paper sizes (I routinely print 8.25" x 18.75"), but it takes paper from top rear, and not a tray. That feature may no longer be available.
_____
**I probably should mention that I use photoshop and let it, and not the printer, handle the colors.

Last edited by dms; 10-09-2017 at 08:25 AM.
10-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Most monitors are very far from matching anything relating to photographic paper with an out of the box luminence far exceeding the requirements for photo printing matching. They need to be calibrated and profiled and the resulting profile used by the OS as both Lightroom and Photoshop are correctly colour managed applications that rely on the monitor ICC profile to accurately describe the state of the monitor. With this in place these and other colour aware applications will display your image data correctly

Implementation of colour management is vital if you require print matching conditions and actually guarantees a consistent and reliable view very close to the on screen view - IF not then you are not colour managing or colour management has broken down!

If you are serious about pursuing a professional level of printing then you should be calibrating your monitor to a given standard and setting the luminosity to match that of your paper including ideally the white point. If not then you can get very acceptable results from most labs or your own printer without much trouble but do not look for screen to print match.

10-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
Most monitors are very far from matching anything relating to photographic paper with an out of the box luminence far exceeding the requirements for photo printing matching. They need to be calibrated and profiled and the resulting profile used by the OS as both Lightroom and Photoshop are correctly colour managed applications that rely on the monitor ICC profile to accurately describe the state of the monitor. With this in place these and other colour aware applications will display your image data correctly

Implementation of colour management is vital if you require print matching conditions and actually guarantees a consistent and reliable view very close to the on screen view - IF not then you are not colour managing or colour management has broken down!

If you are serious about pursuing a professional level of printing then you should be calibrating your monitor to a given standard and setting the luminosity to match that of your paper including ideally the white point. If not then you can get very acceptable results from most labs or your own printer without much trouble but do not look for screen to print match.
I think this is massive overkill for someone who was just looking for a "all-in-one" printer.
10-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
I think this is massive overkill for someone who was just looking for a "all-in-one" printer.
Well fair enough, however dont you think the OP must really be the judge of that? And it seem that overkill made in your own responses about monitor, colour management etc. when all he asked about was a printer

The OP brief appears to be what upgrade to make for large file photo prints, with no other supporting evidence general requirement A4 A3 etc.

By their nature All in Ones are not necessarily the best choice for premium prints, some compromises are usually made.

I am sorry but the advice offered of allowing Printer to manage colour is poor at best and not doing the OP any favours. As is mention of monitors with 'minor tweaking'.

Which all in one printers have 8 inks or more?
10-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
Which all in one printers have 8 inks or more?
Several of the Canon Pixmas. Some have six with gray, also good.

I talked about monitors because he might be using an old one which will probably not work very well. I mentioned color management because he has to choose a system: Printer Manages Color with manufacturer recommended papers and ink is by far the easiest way to get good results without going down the rabbit hole of advanced color management. The guy was only looking for an "all-in-one" printer. I don't think it is even possible spend more than a couple hundred dollars (or pounds) on that at most; he wasn't looking for a professional print lab system, which is what you have to have to make advanced color management work. How much have you spent on your system?
10-09-2017, 01:36 PM   #11

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks all for the info so far...as far as what I'm looking for, doesn't have to be high end, top shelf. I rarely print, but my old Canon is just not up to snuff anymore. Would probably only go 8X10, perhaps 11X14 on ocassion. Already have a scanner, so in all reality, probably doesn't need to be "all in one".
10-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote

I talked about monitors because he might be using an old one which will probably not work very well. I mentioned color management because he has to choose a system: Printer Manages Color with manufacturer recommended papers and ink is by far the easiest way to get good results without going down the rabbit hole of advanced color management. The guy was only looking for an "all-in-one" printer. I don't think it is even possible spend more than a couple hundred dollars (or pounds) on that at most; he wasn't looking for a professional print lab system, which is what you have to have to make advanced color management work. How much have you spent on your system?
I talked about Printer manages printing as he might be interested in getting the best out of his system

Colour management is no more a rabbit hole than shooting correctly exposed images or editing those images and a cheap print system does preclude wanting to keep hold of control of IQ as much as possible.

In truth neither of could say with any certainty what quality he was looking for in spite of modest printer requirements.

I do not think it particularly relevant my system expenditure, however I would not want to live without a quality monitor without internal programmable LUT’s and a decent calibration device. To that end I have an Eizo ColorEdge CS240 24” - a bargain entry level from the Eizo range and an X rite i1 Display pro fir calibration.

---------- Post added 10-09-17 at 02:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SKYGZR Quote
Thanks all for the info so far...as far as what I'm looking for, doesn't have to be high end, top shelf. I rarely print, but my old Canon is just not up to snuff anymore. Would probably only go 8X10, perhaps 11X14 on ocassion. Already have a scanner, so in all reality, probably doesn't need to be "all in one".
Then any of the printers mentioned will do a satisfactory job and if you already have a decent scanner why not look at printer only you may find better value for money
10-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #13
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
-- As you have a scanner/don't need an all in one, you would likely do better today with a larger dedicated printer, except that it is another machine and it takes up quite a bit of space.
-- Based on my favourable experience using the Epson Claria inks, I would choose the Epson model 1430 if I wanted to print larger, and (as I mentioned earlier) I really like the idea of buying larger paper (both 13" x 19" and 17" x22") and cutting it to desired size (the 1430 is said to support custom sizes).
-- Again, as I mentioned earlier, If you intend to use it a lot/long time I suggest getting the "Printer Potty."
10-22-2017, 07:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I use a HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 AIO in black, it also comes in white. If I get all the settings right this thing prints drug store quality 8X10’s or even 8.5X11’s on HP photo paper. It isn’t a super high end machine but with the four dedicated colors it does a nice job. Not super pricey to refill either.

It has taken some incredible photos from my KP and K3II and made stuff I would hang in my home.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-officejet-pro-8720-wireless-all-in-one-print...?skuId=5623289