Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Lightroom "Classic"

Adobe announced their new version. As many anticipated, standalone LR is discontinued. It is only available by subscription not a permanent license.

There's a surprise fork in what used to be Lightroom CC; it's now 2 competing products. "CC" is a brand new piece of software focused more on mobile users; everything is automatically synced to Adobe servers. The current Lightroom CC was rebranded "Classic" and continues to use a local catalog.

What follows is my opinion:
  1. The new "CC" has been released prematurely. Many features from "Classic" are not in "CC" yet, such as printing, export to Flickr, HDR, panorama.
  2. Calling a product "Classic" suggests it's bound to be discontinued in the foreseeable future. I think Adobe is having trouble managing legacy source code and wants to start over from scratch.
  3. Classic+Photoshop at $10/month is still a good deal for me. If they force us to the new CC, though, online storage will more than double my costs and justify changing to a competitor. Time will tell.
Members

10-18-2017, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Classic+Photoshop at $10/month is still a good deal for me. If they force us to the new CC, though, online storage will more than double my costs and justify changing to a competitor. Time will tell.
The cost of cloud storage will presumably come down by the time "New CC" is ready for prime time and "Classic" is discontinued. Or maybe Adobe pulls a Coca-Cola and "Classic" goes back to being CC...
10-18-2017, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's why I am still using LR 4.4 and Photoshop CS 5.5.
10-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Calling a product "Classic" suggests it's bound to be discontinued in the foreseeable future.
Classic coke became regular coke again

10-18-2017, 10:51 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It has been several hours since I read this announcement and I am still seething. I don't seeth except maybe twice per decade and then usually on something political, so this is a big thing for me.

No, ADOBE, this does not work for your established LR user base.

Steve
10-18-2017, 10:54 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The cost of cloud storage will presumably come down by the time "New CC" is ready for prime time and "Classic" is discontinued. Or maybe Adobe pulls a Coca-Cola and "Classic" goes back to being CC...
My upload speed is capped at 0.8 Mb/s with no current option for increase other than (hiss) cable internet. Cloud storage for other than archive backup is not viable. No, Adobe, most of us do not have fiber.

Steve
10-18-2017, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's very disappointing, though not at all surprising, that Adobe has dropped the stand-alone version of Lightroom. I've been trying alternatives for over a year now, in anticipation of this... but - for me - no other stand-alone tool matches the capabilities and ease-of-use of Lightroom 6. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it continues to run on future versions of Windows (works great on my current Windows 10 installation).

I have no interest in moving to a subscription model, so Adobe loses a previously loyal customer here, I'm afraid.

EDIT: This is a *BIG* opportunity for Corel to up its game with Aftershot Pro 3, which I also own. In its current incarnation, it's actually rather good - not as good as Lightroom, but getting there. Sadly, it's very spotty with RAW support for various cameras... Neither my Hasselblad HV or Panasonic TZ-70 (ZS-50) files will load. Come on, Corel, this is your big chance!!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-18-2017 at 11:14 AM.
10-18-2017, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's very disappointing, though not at all surprising, that Adobe has dropped the stand-alone version of Lightroom. I've been trying alternatives for over a year now, in anticipation of this... but - for me - no other stand-alone tool matches the capabilities and ease-of-use of Lightroom 6. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it continues to run on future versions of Windows (works great on my current Windows 10 installation).

I have no interest in moving to a subscription model, so Adobe loses a previously loyal customer here, I'm afraid.

EDIT: This is a *BIG* opportunity for Corel to up its game with Aftershot Pro, which I also own. In its current incarnation, it's actually very good - not as good as Lightroom, but getting there. Sadly, it's very spotty with RAW support for various cameras... Neither my Hasselblad HV or Panasonic TZ-70 (ZS-50) files will load. Come on, Corel, this is your big chance!!
I expected this to come, which is why I've started shifting over to ON1 Photo Raw 2017 (soon to be 2018!). It seems to be currently capable of doing most of what LR and Photoshop can do and they're rapidly adding capabilities requested by users. And you own the software!
10-18-2017, 11:25 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This sucks. That's all there is to it. I live in a very rural area where my upload and download speed are both pretty low (probably similar to Steve's). I currently am using Lightroom 6 and it meets my needs. Typically I have upgraded six to nine months after a new release -- mainly giving Adobe a chance to sort out bugs (which always seem to be present on new releases).

Adobe is afraid that too many people are buying Lightroom every two to three years and avoiding their subscription and they hope by doing this they can lock them in to paying 10 dollars a month forever. I just don't see it.
10-18-2017, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I currently am using Lightroom 6 and it meets my needs. Typically I have upgraded six to nine months after a new release -- mainly giving Adobe a chance to sort out bugs (which always seem to be present on new releases).
That's my approach, too. If Lightroom 7 stand-alone had been released, I'd have almost-certainly upgraded to it within a few months of release. It's not the cost of the cloud solution that bothers me (I'd probably spend just as much on my stand-alone LR upgrade path), but the reliance on the cloud and a subscription model that I simply don't want. Adobe could halve the price of subscription and I still wouldn't want it.
10-18-2017, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't think they are going to discontinue the classic/PC version. While the subscription model makes perfect sense, it also makes sense for desktop software to not force you to use cloud storage, due to file size, connectivity, etc.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think they are going to discontinue the classic/PC version. While the subscription model makes perfect sense, it also makes sense for desktop software to not force you to use cloud storage, due to file size, connectivity, etc.
I hope you're right, Adam, but I do wonder. Cnet's article "Adobe Lightroom CC faces an uphill climb" opens with the statement: "Adobe's revamped photography strategy includes a new Lightroom CC cloud-based service and the final goodbye to no-subscription Lightroom.". Specifically, it mentions that there'll be no more CameraRaw updates for stand-alone versions, meaning any new cameras won't be supported: "With that upgrade to Camera Raw 10, Lightroom 6 users (based on ACR 9) get one last new camera codec, for the Nikon D850, before they're cut off from new camera support forever. Two-year-old Lightroom 6 is the last perpetual-license version."
10-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They've already announced that the next update to LR 6 (which will be 6.13), coming this year, will be the last update. There won't even be future new cameras or lenses to come for LR 6 after that. I suppose that DNG Converter might continue which, presumably, would give you a back door way to get new cameras and lenses into LR6, but I'm not optimistic.

Last edited by subsea; 10-18-2017 at 11:57 AM.
10-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I do not see anything specific that states the stand alone version will never be updated, though we have assumed that for some time now. I see B&H is still selling stand alone LR6. I should probably upgrade form LR4 before 6 disappears.
10-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm not a Lightroom user now. I tried it a couple years ago and didn't care for it.

I just bought myself a DVD copy of Lightroom 6 - just in case I want to try it again at some time in the future.

I don't like the cloud (CC) model. I dropped Photoshop when they went to the cloud.
For more information, Thom Hogan has an article on this subject.