Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #136
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Has anybody here mentioned how much quicker the new Classic it seems to be?

No scientific measurements or stopwatches involved, just a feeling when using it.
Glad to know that they met that stated goal.

Steve

10-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I think the software looks promising and has lens profile although missing some lenses such as the 35mm macro.
I checked today and their is a profile for all of my lenses, but I don't like the fact that I have to lick the lens from a drop down menu instead of it being automatically populated. My 55-300 was the only one that automatically populated for me.
10-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #138
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I checked today and their is a profile for all of my lenses, but I don't like the fact that I have to lick the lens from a drop down menu instead of it being automatically populated. My 55-300 was the only one that automatically populated for me.
I can't say for that version of LR, but it is possible in v5.7 to have a particular copy of a lens auto-detected to populate the profile corrections box. The steps:
  1. Enable profile corrections in Lens Corrections/Profile
  2. Pick the lens from the drop menus
  3. Click the "Setup" drop menu and select "Save New Lens Profile Defaults"
That last step sets as "default" the particular lens/camera combination as recorded in the EXIF until overridden or set back to Lightrooms default (whatever that is).

Steve
10-25-2017, 07:17 AM   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I can't say for that version of LR,
The comment was about ACDESee not auto populating... unlike LR which does.

10-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #140
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
The comment was about ACDESee not auto populating... unlike LR which does.
Ooops! My bad! As for LR and auto-populating...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the lens and LR version. It is not enough to simply have the profile present.

Steve
10-28-2017, 02:17 AM   #141
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
a question:
does anybody know, if LR classic will support Pixelshift RAW developing now?
10-28-2017, 02:28 AM   #142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
a question:
does anybody know, if LR classic will support Pixelshift RAW developing now?
I guess you mean with motion correction enabled? Because Lightroom 6 will develop Pixelshift Raws right now, you just get motion artifacts. My guess is that it doesn't because no one has mentioned it in the pixel shift threads on the forum.

10-28-2017, 04:38 AM   #143
pid
Pentaxian

RAW Thearapie is not bad, but very uncompfortable and complicated. What can we do, to force Adobe to integrate the Motion Correction?
10-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
What can we do, to force Adobe to integrate the Motion Correction?
Nothing.

Adobe forces the customer, not the other way round.

Sorry, I realise this is not helpful but I feel it describes the truth. They don't give some people the ownership options they like and have resisted requests to make LR more useful to portrait photographers for many, many years now, so that they can still maintain a clear delineation to Photoshop.

Adobe makes some good products (although they suck in some details, they are very useful overall), but their history shows that they will first and foremost look after themselves. They are not too dissimilar to Apple. If their stuff works for you, great. If not, you are out of luck.
10-31-2017, 07:10 AM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Nothing.

Adobe forces the customer, not the other way round.

Sorry, I realise this is not helpful but I feel it describes the truth. They don't give some people the ownership options they like and have resisted requests to make LR more useful to portrait photographers for many, many years now, so that they can still maintain a clear delineation to Photoshop.

Adobe makes some good products (although they suck in some details, they are very useful overall), but their history shows that they will first and foremost look after themselves. They are not too dissimilar to Apple. If their stuff works for you, great. If not, you are out of luck.
In Adobe's defense, at one time Photoshop was the most pirated software program in the world. It easier to understand why they are the way they are when you look at their history. I'm not agreeing with it, just pointing out one of the reasons they are the way they are.
10-31-2017, 10:00 AM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would lay more criticism at Pentax' feet than Adobe's.

If Pentax really wanted to sell the benefits of their pixel shift technology, they could provide a Photoshop plugin to deal with pixel shifted images, not just the horrid software they provide with the camera. But nope. Olympus at least provided a plugin for their version of the technology, although I don't think it does motion correction. But since it provides an index file it's easier to mask out motion than with Pentax images, although Rawtherapee does that perhaps best of all (did Pentac help with that project?).
10-31-2017, 04:09 PM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
not just the horrid software they provide with the camera. But nope.
On a related note, I notice that even the 'full' Silkypix software itself (Silkypix Developer Studio Pro 8, not the basic version Pentax provides) doesn't fully support Pixel Shift either.

QuoteQuote:
For RAW images shot with “Pixel Shift Resolution”, several features such as a demosaicing sharpness are unavailable.

Supported digital cameras | SILKYPIX Developer Studio Pro8 | SILKYPIX

And Pentax is obviously quite close to the makers of Silkypix Pro. So Ricoh clearly do need to offer more support to developers who are working with pixel shift.
10-31-2017, 04:44 PM   #148
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
In Adobe's defense, at one time Photoshop was the most pirated software program in the world. It easier to understand why they are the way they are when you look at their history. I'm not agreeing with it, just pointing out one of the reasons they are the way they are.
I agree with you. Someone is probably going to reply "but Photoshop was too expensive and deserved to be pirated". Stupid opinions are not uncommon.
10-31-2017, 05:33 PM   #149
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As a brief aside, I'll just mention that I'm on day six (I think) of running Darktable under Linux, and it's really excellent. This isn't to criticise Lightroom in any way (other than the subscription model, which I personally don't like), or to call out Darktable as the best alternative, but merely to say that I personally believe there are other excellent alternatives I can now be very happy with. I'm not sure I'd have been able to say that even two or three years ago. But now...

Apologies for the interruption. I just wanted to leave this here...
11-02-2017, 07:38 AM   #150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As a brief aside, I'll just mention that I'm on day six (I think) of running Darktable under Linux, and it's really excellent. This isn't to criticise Lightroom in any way (other than the subscription model, which I personally don't like), or to call out Darktable as the best alternative, but merely to say that I personally believe there are other excellent alternatives I can now be very happy with. I'm not sure I'd have been able to say that even two or three years ago. But now...

Apologies for the interruption. I just wanted to leave this here...
And you have used RawTherapee in the past, haven't you? How do you compare the two if you have? Both in terms of usability and results.