Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2017, 04:46 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Matt - Many linux togs swear by Rapid Photo Downloader for their photo transfers. Check it out here:

Rapid Photo Downloader: Documentation

Maybe enough to persuade you to install a real linux box?

Jack

10-25-2017, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Billed as a LR substitute at the time I had just assumed it also performed that task like LR did. I eventually figured it out.
I run what is practical for me which has included Linux (Redhat, Ubuntu) in the past and probably could in the future. My work is Windows based currently, so that is what I run for now. Works fine and supports the apps I need.
I think it's cool Darktable is on multiple platforms and they might pick up some momentum with the timing.
10-26-2017, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I recently installed DarkTable for Windows
And I think that is in alpha, so it can only get better

---------- Post added 26-10-17 at 07:05 PM ----------

realizing DT does not do the file copy from your memory card
I've never been a fan of the automated cataloguing system (like in ligtroom) much prefer the manual file management, and like the way DT does side car files, much better for the way I do things.

Trying to wean myself off lightroom
10-26-2017, 01:05 AM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Billed as a LR substitute at the time I had just assumed it also performed that task like LR did. I eventually figured it out.
I run what is practical for me which has included Linux (Redhat, Ubuntu) in the past and probably could in the future. My work is Windows based currently, so that is what I run for now. Works fine and supports the apps I need.
I think it's cool Darktable is on multiple platforms and they might pick up some momentum with the timing.
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I tried the Windows version of Darktable and wasn't keen on it. I'm sure it will evolve into an excellent application, but for now it's a long way off the Linux versions. If you can get along with it, though, it certainly seems to be powerful enough

10-26-2017, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Windows version of Darktable
I'm sure it will progress, and is why I use LinuxMint
10-26-2017, 01:29 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've abandoned Windows many, many years ago (late nineties) and have watched Linux progress both as an OS as well as an excellent ecosystem for very capable software, software which often outstripped the capabilities of commercial offerings on OSX or WinX.

Many years ago I built and released the "PCLinuxOS Digital Photography Edition" (or DPE for short) - a remastered PCLOS installable LiveCD - which brought together a stable OS suitable for both beginners as well as advanced users and all of the photography tools, scripts and profiles available from any number of sources. I even got permission from the original author of RawTherapee himself to include it on the CD even though he had not yet decided to open-source this awesome piece of software at that time.

A lot has happened since and generic and advanced photography tools have come to mainstream Linux distros such as Ubuntu, Mint and Arch. The distros themselves have become smoother to install and easy to maintain, accessible to anyone willing to make the mindswitch from Windows. I now see a wonderful development with many of the Linux-only software packages making an appearance as true cross-system capable packages, available to Apple and/or Windows users. Eventually this will benefit everyone even though I am still seeing the benefit of running Linux - software such as Gimp, Rawtherapee, Digikam, Darktable etc. just runs smoother, faster and glitch-free on Linux.

Given time, even that last distinction will disappear and people will benefit from access to open-source digital photography apps on any platform - just perfect!

As to the history of the PclinuxOS DPE, have a read here: PCLinuxOS Magazine - HTML
10-26-2017, 03:57 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I recently installed DarkTable for Windows, also looking into potential LR replacements. I've only messed around a little bit but so far, so good!

The hardest part was realizing DT does not do the file copy from your memory card (as far as I can tell) so you have to do that manually or with another tool before importing your images.
Where did you download that from?

I can only read their silly excusing blog posts about "no, never", "no not now", and "yes, somehow", but there doesnt seem to be a link to an installer.

10-26-2017, 04:01 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Index of /files/

[EDIT] Or of course DT's homepage: https://www.darktable.org/
10-26-2017, 04:49 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I posted this in another thread here, but I'm another person who's using the recent Adobe news as an excuse to try out Darktable. I've long wanted a reason to set up a dual-boot Linux system, and since I installed Xubuntu last weekend I've only been back to Win7 once or twice. I love the fact it's light and fast. My initial plan is to keep the Linux install simple, and at least for now it's very quick.

So far I've set up Rapid File Downloader and almost have it where I want it to be. I think I have an old version from the Ubuntu software center, but I'll fix that.

Darktable... I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve. I'm going to have to watch some tutorials because I'm still at that frustrating point where I can't quite figure out how to do things that became second nature in Lightroom 6. But I'm willing to put in the time. I've always been a somewhat reluctant Windows user, way back in the 1990s I had a dual-boot OS/2 Warp box, so dual booting an Ubuntu system isn't so odd. So I will put in the time to learn something a little different.
10-26-2017, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote

I can only read their silly excusing blog posts about "no, never", "no not now", and "yes, somehow", but there doesnt seem to be a link to an installer.
darktable for Windows - darktable - discuss.pixls.us
10-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote

---------- Post added 26-10-17 at 07:05 PM ----------

I've never been a fan of the automated cataloguing system (like in ligtroom) much prefer the manual file management, and like the way DT does side car files, much better for the way I do things.

Trying to wean myself off lightroom
I like the feature for one stop shopping. I still don't understand why they don't want to have it. It's not like like you would have to use it if you had a different method you preferred.
10-27-2017, 11:21 PM   #27
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Matt - Many linux togs swear by Rapid Photo Downloader for their photo transfers. Check it out here:

Rapid Photo Downloader: Documentation

Maybe enough to persuade you to install a real linux box?

Jack
I just use Digicam to download from the Camera on my Ubuntu. Is there an advantage to using Rapid Photo Downloader?
10-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out the link and judge for yourself.
11-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Rapid Photo Downloader is a single purpose app. Get stuff from your storage onto your hard drive. You can configure it with renaming and locations, where to put videos, etc. It works very well. I have it run automatically, plug in the card reader and it does it without fuss. Darktable opens the last folder and there are my images.

The Darktable import doesn't (or didn't, haven't tried it in a while) see folders on the sd card, only a very long list of image files.
11-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A question for you Linux and Darktable users...

What are the benefits of using Linux with Darktable? I haven't used Linux since the early days, so I'm a little behind on that part. My current computer is about 2 weeks old, and there's a couple of things I'm going to add in the next few weeks. With this in mind, will it benefit me to use Linux? My primary use of this computer is my photography, I have two laptops for everything else.

I'm new to Darktable also. Although in just one day of using the Windows version, I've been able to find my way around a lot of it. I was a Lightroom user since version 1, but I will not do subscription, as many here have said also.