Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2017, 07:08 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

DXO acquires Nik Collection from Google

"Look alive, Nik Collection fans: the software suite is back from the (mostly) dead. It will change hands from Google to DxO, who will continue to offer it as Photoshop and Lightroom plug-ins, as well as incorporate it into their own software. DxO will offer a new flagship application called PhotoLab, a version of OpticsPro that will incorporate Nik Collection's U Point technology."

DxO acquires Nik Collection from Google and will continue to offer it for free... for now: Digital Photography Review

woohooo!

Update: DxO OpticsPro is now renamed DxO PhotoLab and will incorporate the Nik Collection Point system (and possibly? algorithms). The Nik collection will also be offered as a separate collection too. I was under the impression initially that DxO was creating a new program called 'PhotoLab' but it is essentially OpticsPro 12 with the u Point technology incorporated.

More info on PhotoLab http://www.dxo.com/us/photography/photo-software/dxo-photolab

Last edited by mee; 10-25-2017 at 10:02 AM.
10-25-2017, 07:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good news indeed! Can't wait to see what they do with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
"Look alive, Nik Collection fans: the software suite is back from the (mostly) dead. It will change hands from Google to DxO, who will continue to offer it as Photoshop and Lightroom plug-ins, as well as incorporate it into their own software. DxO will offer a new flagship application called PhotoLab, a version of OpticsPro that will incorporate Nik Collection's U Point technology."

DxO acquires Nik Collection from Google and will continue to offer it for free... for now: Digital Photography Review

woohooo!
10-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nik Collection's U Point technology."
I actually quite like this. Its great for adding contrast or sharpness in just one area of the photo. No need to sharpen the sky, just sharpen the subject. This is the main reason I use Nik. Its pretty powerful and easy to use selectively.
So I like to see it being revived, but I don't know what DxO will do with it.
10-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Indeed.. it is easy to use, powerful and the algorithms used are really nice.. even despite their age. I'm hoping they update the Noise Reduction plugin and improve upon these instead of complete overhauls. They did mention a 2018 version coming middle of next year... that probably will not be free. That's great in my book -- I will support this software.

Also interested in that Photolab app... wondering if it comes with a DAM or just an all-in-one Nik collection standalone.

10-25-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These are interesting times, indeed, for photo processing software!
10-25-2017, 08:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeW Quote
I got an email today that Macphun is changing its name to Skylum to better position themselves as an Adobe alternative...Luminar is getting Lightroom library support and will be Photoshop plug in compatible next year...Plus both Luminar and Aurora HDR are getting ported to Window$.
10-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeW Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I got an email today that Macphun is changing its name to Skylum to better position themselves as an Adobe alternative...Luminar is getting Lightroom library support and will be Photoshop plug in compatible next year...Plus both Luminar and Aurora HDR are getting ported to Window$.

Indeed. Interesting times... I'm glad MacPhun is changing their name. It sounded too childish to me .. like a TeEnAgEr might speak.

Skylum is an curious choice to me.. but better tha MacPhun.

In any case.. Lr6 will function nicely for years before I think it will start really feeling dated on support.. which gives all these software companies time to mature their products in the wake of a post-lightroom reality. Luminar with the DAM and Photoshop plugin support (DxO nik collection) could be a nice thing potentially..

Also DxO themselves seem to be developing products for and encouraging more Lightroom users over..

Alien Skin's Exposure is heating up..

Capture One is rather stable (though they offer a rental service too.. leery of them) and mature..

And Adobe will be Adobe..

10-25-2017, 10:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

hmmm, interesting.... I guess I will wait about a year or so and see what pans out with Luminar and DxO, both seem like they have some cool stuff in the future
10-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, that sort of sucks. I guess I better make sure mine are up-to-date before they disappear.

Steve
10-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smart move on the part of the DxO people, I must say. Gives some great technology a second lease of life and, who knows, a promise of further evolution?

As a long-time OpticsPro user, I'm quite intrigued, and may well end up getting PhotoLab.
10-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, that sort of sucks. I guess I better make sure mine are up-to-date before they disappear.

What do you mean? They aren't disappearing.. they just said they are continuing development with a new version coming up this Summer.
10-26-2017, 02:53 AM   #12

What do you mean? They aren't disappearing.. they just said they are continuing development with a new version coming up this Summer.
I think he is assuming the free (or possibly non-DXO) versions are going away.
10-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Good news. Google has not updated the software in 2 years, so hopefully we will see DxO bring the NIK tools into DxO and continue to improve the offering.
10-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

That's good news, it was totally abandoned and wouldn't even work with newer Adobe products (I've heard). We are completely dependent on it.
10-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Luminar from Skylum Previously Known as Macphun has a teaser of their organizer application/features here: Lightroom Alternative? LUMINAR for Mac & Windows.. (You have to click the alternative on the right about Using a New Photo Editor.) So at least it's not complete vaporware. Probably not an alternative to Lr unless one thinks stuff like Apple Photos is an alternative, but might cover most people's needs. Maybe more fairly seen in comparsion to Lr CC formerly know as Lightroom Mobile but Ported to the Desktop, Kinda.

PhotoLab from DxO is available now, OTOH. Quite nice; the Nik U point local adjustments are there. Sorta like intelligent auto masking, and integrated well in PhotoLab formerly known as Optics Pro 11. Unfortunately DxO's Lr plugins aren't working with Lr Classic Formerly Known as Lightroom CC (but not the New Lightroom CC, which is not Lightroom Classic, whew). It has good support for Pentax lenses and bodies, with color calibrations and lens corrections galore (you might need the Elite version for all that). And no, it doesn't have any new DAM capabilities. It can still make projects to organize and keep track of images you're working on, and saves changes in .dop sidecars.