Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom 6 on an iMac

My Dell laptop crashed after many years of super service. I learned digital processing on it with Elements and Lightroom through several iterations. It was the top of the line 15" media edition. Any way I was a able to reload my Lightroom 6 on the the iMac but of course all my files are saved on a remote disc in the pc's different format. Two things I need info on: 1) I have been able to copy some images from the WD to the Mac, But not all. When I import through Lightroom the images seem to get shuffled a bit and one of my main files for work doesn't even show up for the import...I have to adjust it after the import. I guess I'm asking for a recommendation for a manual that is specifically written for using Lightroom on iMac for someone who has used pc forever. Any suggestions. 2) I would also like to get all of my images into a file formatted for Mac.

10-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I switched over to a Mac Mini last year after years of Windows computers. Since I had nearly 2 TB of photos spread across 3 hard drives, I bought a new WD 3TB hard drive and formatted for the Mac and then moved my photos to the new external HD from my old one. It went easy. One advantage I had was my old external drive was formatted in FAT 32. I then had to tell Lightroom on my Mac where my photos were. The best help I got was from Lightroom Queen Victoria Brampton's site. She has tutorials on how to move your Lightroom catalog to new computers. It wasn't quick, mostly because my old catalog files were all over the place on my Windows computer. I first had to straighten out my mess on my Windows computer.
The Lightroom Queen - Tips, Tutorials & Troubleshooting for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
10-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You need two things to transfer Lightroom from one computer to another.

1 - The Lightroom catalogue and associated preview files. This is the .LRCAT file.
2 - The actual photos themselves.

I store ALL my photos and my Lightroom catalogue on an external drive. (Some people store their catalogue on an internal drive and the photos on an external drive.)

If I were to shift my photos and Lightroom catalogue to a new computer with a different OS I'd do the following:

1 - Buy a new external hard drive and format it for the new OS.
2 - Connect new and old hard drives to the new computer
3 - Copy the photo folder and the Lightroom catalogue folder from the old hard drive to the new one. Keep the photo files in the same folders relative to the Lightroom catalogue.
4 - Start Lightroom by holding down SHIFT while launching Lightroom. This will prompt Lightroom to ask for a catalogue to open. Navigate to the location of the .LRCAT file on the new hard drive and then open it. Lightroom should then start normally with your catalogue and files. Assuming that you maintained the same relative location of your Lightroom files and photos on your new hard drive Lightroom should hook up the previews in the catalogue with the actual photos. If not. In Lightroom go to Library/Find all Missing Photos. Find the first photo and then let Lightroom make the connection to all the remaining file.

This process does not involve reimporting any photos.

Regards

Chris
10-27-2017, 12:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have Paragon NTFS for Mac 15 installed on all my macs , that will allow you to write and read any WIN created external disc.

---------- Post added 10-27-17 at 15:04 ----------

https://www.paragon-software.com/ufsdhome/ntfs-mac/