Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2017, 04:52 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you soft proof using the SAME profile you will get those results. Soft proofing is supposed to compare what the image looks like in two different profiles. I'm no expert on this at all. I achieved my results with long trial and error. However, I am not sure that you should be softproofing to sRGB or AdobeRGB but rather to the profile of the intended output device. sRGB and AdobeRGB are colorspaces, not profiles although it is possible to have a profile that matches the whole colorspace. In that case you would not get good results because NO output device is capable of the complete colorspace gamut.

The purpose of softproofing is to adjust the image so that it will print to match your display. Softproofing to the full colorspace does not make sense. I think................

10-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My point here is that by using that output profile in soft-proofing, I see exactly what I see when editing my RAW image in Darktable. If I set soft-proof to sRGB (or AdobeRGB for that matter), I see significant impact on highly-saturated colours, and in fact I see those affected areas highlighted when I select the gamut checking option.

Clearly, what I'm seeing during live editing is much richer and more saturated in some areas than the soft-proofed and exported files using the sRGB output profile.
So what is happening is that your monitor probably can't display the full Rec. 2020 color space, so it does the best it can. Which is basically the same as when you have no soft-proof restriction on the image you are viewing. Which is basically what matrix also said, that a color space can easily be larger than your monitor, so it won't make sense to soft-proof for that.

You see a difference with Adobe RGB vs. Rec. 2020 because Rec. 2020 is a bigger space than Adobe RGB is (plus some other things).
10-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
All... thank you for the helpful replies

I've started a new thread, which includes my findings from the helpful responses you've provided. Thanks again!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-28-2017 at 04:43 PM.
10-29-2017, 05:32 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you link me to it please? I'll follow as well, interesting topic for me

10-30-2017, 01:43 AM   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Can you link me to it please? I'll follow as well, interesting topic for me
Sure

Fun and confusion with colour spaces - RAW vs. output JPEGs (yellows especially!) - PentaxForums.com