Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #1

Photoshop Vs Lightroom

Hi all

What is the difference between Photoshop and light room? Do you need both?

Thanks Larry

08-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photoshop is a much more powerful image editor, but it will not help with organizing and managing your photographs.
Lightroom is a tool for managing your library of images. It is a workflow tool, but it also has many powerful features for basic image enhancement. You can use Lightroom for most of your work and then open individual images in Photoshop for more advanced work.
08-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love Lightroom and I use Paint Shop Pro XII as my editor if I need more than Lightroom can do. But that isn't very often. I rarely use more than Lightroom can do. You can use any external editor in tandem with Lightroom very easily.
08-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My son gave me both lightroom and photoshop elements 6. Two weeks ago updated to LR V2 and it is great. It has a graduated filter mode that has worked great on some pictures and a dodge and burn paintbrush with an automatic mask that is a littl slow but works great. About 90% of my processing is doen with LR. PS Element 6 has great pano stiching program but a lot of other features to help clean up photos for printing more than snapshots. If you have a student (any age) in the house they can buy the student version with all the features but at a discount.

I had tried a few other programs before and these were the easist to learn and the most features. Both can be tried for 30 days. LR2 is really an improvement.