Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pixel Shift Raw and DxO PhotoLab?

Has DXo added support for Pixel Shifted Raw files yet?

If not, are there any standalone packages which support Raw Pixel Shifted files?

I know there is Adobe, but neither am I a fan of the interface or the subscription based cloud package. Personally I like the 'if it works don't change it' approach to computers and software in particular and don't like new versions automatically forced upon me... but that is another topic.

10-31-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe rawtherapee does. Because of Adobe’s move to cloud, I’ve been looking at other options also.
10-31-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Grosvenor Quote
Has DxO added support for Pixel Shifted Raw files yet?
Not yet, I believe. Aside from PDCU, RawTherapee seems to be only other RAW processor with full pixelshift support. I think you can also save pixelshift RAWs to JPEG or TIFF using the in-camera image development options too.
10-31-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One possibility is to install dcrawps (a command line application) which will allow you to export a pixel-shifted TIFF which can be imported into your favourite post processor.
dcrawps provides a lot of useful options, and includes the ability to manage any subject movement between the PS shots.

Cheers,
Terry

10-31-2017, 11:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I suggest using the rawyherapee for pixelshift files, it has a lot of control of motion artifacts. You can export a tiff from there and import into any other app for final tweaks
11-01-2017, 03:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I tend to use Raw Therapee and create TIFF files that I finish processing in Lightroom. As others have said, it is the best for pixel shift in the real world as it automatically masks out motion artifacts and has the ability to do some manual control of the process as well. Pentax's Digital Camera Utility does offer motion correction, but it is a "dumb" feature with little control -- you can turn it on or off and that's it. I don't like DCU much and with that, I generate TIFF files too to process elsewhere.
11-01-2017, 06:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter

In the Mac world, I think Iridient supports pixel-shifted files.

11-01-2017, 06:28 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks.

Raw Therapee to TIFF
then using DxO Photolab with the TIFF
11-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Has anyone had much experience with using Silkypix? Just found that it is a third package supporting PixelShift and seems reasonably priced.
11-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Grosvenor Quote
Has anyone had much experience with using Silkypix? Just found that it is a third package supporting PixelShift and seems reasonably priced.
It is a very good RAW converter, but I find it slow, not very intuitive, & expensive. Silkypix makes the software that comes with your K-1. They also make the software that ships with Fuji cameras.

Once you learn the software, it is very good and will give you great results. I just don't like using it.
11-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
They also make the software that ships with Fuji cameras.
And Nikon (Capture-NXD).
11-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PhotoLab can open and work on Pentax pixel shift images. It doesn't have a specific motion correction feature, though. And how well it works with them is a question; I seemed to get some decent results with some extra sharpening just now but I haven't messed with it extensively by any means. Great program.
11-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
PhotoLab can open and work on Pentax pixel shift images. It doesn't have a specific motion correction feature, though. And how well it works with them is a question; I seemed to get some decent results with some extra sharpening just now but I haven't messed with it extensively by any means. Great program.
Have you compared the Raw conversion to that done by Pentax 's DCU 5? If it even comes close, it would definitely seem to be worth the price to get away from the horrible DCU interface.