Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #1

Paper Cutter Recommendation

I would appreciate a recommendation, based on personal experience, for a paper cutter. The key criterion is a device that cuts precisely straight, but at less that $200 if possible.

The use will be for non-professional, home use with up to 19" x 13" photo paper. I have a Fiskar rotary cutter that does not cut precisely straight.

Thank you for suggestions.

11-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Best rotary trimmers from the likes of Rotatrim but they will fall outside of your current budget, probably by quite a large margin.

Dahle are quite ok and should be able to cut quite accurately. This one probably minimum for your needs
Dahle 552 Professional Rolling Trimmer (20-1/8") 552 B&H!

At a little more this unit pretty good - I have a larger version of this
Dahle 442 Premium Rolling Trimmer (20.1") 442 B&H Photo!
11-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try to find a used Rotatrim which should be just within your budget. They are very precise and last a lifetime. I just used mine to trim 35 prints for an exhibition, perfectly.

ME
11-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you can't find one used, I'd really invest in a Rotatrim although it's over $200: Rotatrim RC RCM20 Professional-20 (20" Cut) Rotary RCM20

I've bought many less expensive cutters/trimmers over the years and they ended up in the trash and ruined a lot of work. When I finally got a dual rail Rotatrim (15 years ago, used nearly daily to cut paper and matte board) it has never needed adjustment, repair, etc. It's a lifetime purchase. Monorail cutters are cheaper, but I would not recommend them.

11-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As other have noted. Rotatrim make the best cutters. A caveat: do not be tempted by a bargain price on a used or new old-fashioned guillotine type paper cutter. The modern rotary cutter is a significantly better design.
11-04-2017, 10:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do not have a worldly experience with different cutters, but after over a year of hemming and hawing I went with one of the dual rail Rotatrims. Many of the reviews I looked at read like Alex's post above, after disappointment with other brands people end up happy with a Rotatrim. It's somewhat annoying to have suggestions that are above your budget but some things are just worth saving for if possible.

I've had mine for 2 years now, I was pretty impressed with how square it cut and just how thin a strip it can accurately cut off. Trouble free so far and I expect it will outlast me.

Last edited by BrianR; 11-05-2017 at 06:13 AM.
11-05-2017, 02:07 AM   #7

Yep, a Rotatrim is the one to go for. I bought a used one on Ebay and it's great. I've used it for cutting 1mm thick camera light seal foam into 1.5mm strips and it just does it. It's a far bigger Rotatrim than I'll probably ever need, but better that than too small.

11-05-2017, 05:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
If you can't find one used, I'd really invest in a Rotatrim although it's over $200: Rotatrim RC RCM20 Professional-20 (20" Cut) Rotary RCM20
At this price I would go for this one over the Dahle that I posted if budget permits. As already suggested you may end up buying cheap and being dissatisfied and having to buy again having wasted your money. A good trimmer such as this should last for very many years and the manufacturer likely to have spares for a long time. When you figure in the lifetime of the product vs price you may find that even though intial purchase more that the real cost of ownership insignificant.
11-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the sharing of experiences, thoughts and suggestions. I am giving Rotatrim a serious look.