Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Luminar Photo Editing

Anyone used a previous version of this? If so how did you like it?

What's the general opinion of this software? It looks very interesting, and the price isn't bad at all.

Luminar Photo Editor ? Best Photo Editing Software for Mac & PC | Macphun

11-08-2017, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote

What's the general opinion of this software? It looks very interesting, and the price isn't bad at all.

I've never used it, but was intrigued, so I looked up a review. Seems interesting: A Photographer's Real Take on Macphun's New Editing Platform, Luminar | Fstoppers
11-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using Luminar since it was released to the public; I've never used Lightroom or Photoshop, so cannot compare it....

I came from using LightZone to Luminar and have found Luminar to be intuitive and powerful; the online tutorials have been very helpful, along with their blog, and tech support (when I have a question that I cannot find an answer to) has been quick and helpful....
11-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That is good news about the tutorials, and tech support. I think I'm going to give it a try. I really don't like Photoshop that much, and have been using FastStone the majority of the time.

11-08-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It appears they are "not quite there yet" in regards to replacing Lightroom. The DAM functions are not included and they say those will be released some time in 2018. Most reports of the functionality that is present are positive although several posters noted that the LUT's or 'filters' produced a garish look. I suppose that is taste and application. Anyway, I am watching closely but expect at least two years of development before I would trust them with my work.

Still it is the first mainstream (WIndows / Mac) program that seems to have a chance of replacing Lightroom. As a satisfied Lightroom user since 2011 I never thought I would be interested in changing but the direction Adobe is going with it seems clear to me that I am no longer their intended customer. Why they abandon their core customers in search of new business is confusing to me but I suppose they are only chasing the money.
11-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does Luminar support Pixel Shift?
11-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote

I looked at Luminar for Windows and like jatrax stated its not quite there with the windows application plus from what I can read Macphun's excellent noise reduction application Noiseless will not be a part of Luminar for windows. Looks like the price is pretty good for what you get. I still have a copy of the Beta application on my laptop.

I also tried a 30 day trial of Capture One 10 and decided to forego it, way too pricey for me at close to $300 plus it managed my photos like lightroom.....way too intrusive for me.

I also tried a 30 day trial of DXO PhotoLab and really liked it. There is no damn DAM like Lightroom's my way or the highway DAM. What I really like about PhotoLab is its "PRIME" noise reduction plus it incorporates NIK Upoint technology also. Pricing is a bit high but they are offering an introductory special of $149, at some point in November it will go back to $199. I decided to buy PhotoLab and have been working with the trial prior to my purchase.

Larry

11-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
There is no damn DAM like Lightroom's my way or the highway DAM.
The DAM functions are TO ME the most important part of Lightroom. Anything that replaces Lightroom will need to have at least that functionality. The develop parts are to me secondary and anything Lightroom cannot do can be done with plugins or other software.

There are many options for RAW developing and most (all?) have fans and features that some prefer. But there are not many options for DAM.

I do not mind the cost of Lightroom, even the CC version. To me it is a business expense. But when I have as much time and effort invested in a program like Lightroom and they seem to be focusing on a completely different customer I am starting to get worried. I do not want to change, but at this point if a good alternative presented itself I would switch.

---------- Post added 11-08-17 at 02:21 PM ----------

There is no damn DAM like Lightroom's my way or the highway DAM.
Curious what you mean by this. Are you opposed to DAM in general or just Lightroom's implementation? Truly curious, as asset management is extremely important to me and if there is a better method would be interested in hearing about it. Currently have over 100k images in Lightroom and I need the ability to find images quickly by keyword search for clients when they need them.
11-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The DAM functions are TO ME the most important part of Lightroom. Anything that replaces Lightroom will need to have at least that functionality. The develop parts are to me secondary and anything Lightroom cannot do can be done with plugins or other software.

There are many options for RAW developing and most (all?) have fans and features that some prefer. But there are not many options for DAM.

I do not mind the cost of Lightroom, even the CC version. To me it is a business expense. But when I have as much time and effort invested in a program like Lightroom and they seem to be focusing on a completely different customer I am starting to get worried. I do not want to change, but at this point if a good alternative presented itself I would switch.

---------- Post added 11-08-17 at 02:21 PM ----------

Curious what you mean by this. Are you opposed to DAM in general or just Lightroom's implementation? Truly curious, as asset management is extremely important to me and if there is a better method would be interested in hearing about it. Currently have over 100k images in Lightroom and I need the ability to find images quickly by keyword search for clients when they need them.
I'm definitely not a professional and the way Adobe was trying to "manage" my photo folders making me learn their way of photo management really ticked me off, I dropped them like a hot potato. I'm perfectly happy storing my photos in folders sorted by date and being able to view them Zoner ZPS X based on date, keyword and location is plenty for me. Additionally, I believe DXO PhotoLab has the ability to sort and display photos based upon lens and camera data.....I just haven't used that feature yet.

The automated RAW processing features of PhotoLab are what attracted me.

Larry
11-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In your situation with over 100,000 photos that might pose a problem for you switching to any DAM besides what you are using in Lightroom. I am very opposed to Adobe's implementation. I'm not sure if there is any standardization in keywording among asset managers. I do believe I remember Lightroom recognizing my Zoner Keywords although that was several months ago.
11-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm perfectly happy storing my photos in folders sorted by date
Ok. All my images are in folders by date. (yyyy-mm-dd) Lightroom imports and puts them that way all by itself. One of the drawbacks of Lightroom is that it is so powerful and has so many options and configurations that many give up trying to get it to do what they want. Many of these functions are not explained very well to be honest. But thanks for explaining, I am always on the lookout for something better.

My Lightroom import preset:
1) Renames all files to yyyy.mm.dd@hh.mm.ss.camera.sequence#
2) Creates a new directory on the server for each day and copies the files to that directory based on date taken
3) Makes a second backup on an external hard drive connected locally
4) Applies a basic develop preset that covers 80% of my needs
5) Adds keywords as directed

I'm not sure if there is any standardization in keywording among asset managers. I do believe I remember Lightroom recognizing my Zoner Keywords
I believe keywords are standardized as part of the IPTC specification so they should move across to any application that uses that standard. What is not likely to move is Lightroom's hierarchical keyword structure. This is key to quickly keywording an image but I think Lightroom's implementation is not something that is part of the IPTC. Same with pick and reject flags, that is Lightroom only and not part of the standard.

I am very opposed to Adobe's implementation.
What do you dislike about it?
11-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
from what I can read Macphun's excellent noise reduction application Noiseless will not be a part of Luminar for windows. Looks like the price is pretty good for what you get. I still have a copy of the Beta application on my laptop.
I'm sorry to hear this, as noise reduction is something I use. Wonder why it's not available in the Windows version?
11-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is noiseless and snapheal part of luminar or seperate? I like those two can be plugged in to Lightroom. Not sure I need a new raw program -just want to try these two things out with Lightroom which I am still learning and have invested quite a bit of money into already.

Luminar is stand alone, right? Or does it incorporate all their seperate programs into one?

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I've been using Luminar since it was released to the public; I've never used Lightroom or Photoshop, so cannot compare it....

I came from using LightZone to Luminar and have found Luminar to be intuitive and powerful; the online tutorials have been very helpful, along with their blog, and tech support (when I have a question that I cannot find an answer to) has been quick and helpful....
11-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #14
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Is noiseless and snapheal part of luminar or seperate? I like those two can be plugged in to Lightroom. Not sure I need a new raw program -just want to try these two things out with Lightroom which I am still learning and have invested quite a bit of money into already.

Luminar is stand alone, right? Or does it incorporate all their seperate programs into one?

Luminar is stand-alone, but can import/export directly to LR or PS or Photos or Aperture; neither Noiseless nor Snapheal are part of Luminar - they are part of the Creative Kit and can be purchased as a kit together with Tonality (which is awesome for monochrome), FX, and Intensify....
11-09-2017, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote

I am currently trying and comparing Luminar, Affinity, and Darktable. You can use the entire Creative Kit (SnapHeal, Noiseless, Tonality, etc.) through plugins in Luminar.

I find Luminar is rather intuitive to use and yields nice results. The latest version has incorporated a few new filters. They will be bringing out an asset management module in 2018, and it will be a no-charge upgrade.

If asset management is critical, you might look at Darktable which has a pretty nice asset management system. Right now I am using Mac’s Photos for organizing my images. Many find it less than ideal, but as I work with it I am learning that it has its own advantages.

Interestingly, if you are using a Mac, you can access all three of these programs - and more, including both Creative Kit and the Nik plugins - as plugins directly through the Photos edit module.

Both Luminar and Affinity have excellent video tutorials - and many of them. Right now I am editing the same photo in all three programs by watching a video and then going to the photo and using that particular tutorial to make changes. Darktable also has tutorials, but they are not from the seller (it is freeware) so their quality is a bit variable and there are not as many.

At the moment I am leaning strongly toward Luminar. It is more intuitive than Affinity for me, but this a personal thing. Darktable is similar to Lightroom (that’s not a bad thing), but I am having a small problem with the cursor not quite aligning properly on some menu lists. This may be fixed at any time as it is freeware which tends to be updated without a set schedule.

I still have Lightroom/PhotoShop subscription, but will probably be changing. Why? I am not really sure; sometimes I just need to try new things. It is really amazing how many post-processing programs there are from which to choose, but to me Affinity and Luminar seem to be the cutting edge.

I hope this helps.

Don