Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2018, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #121
Veteran Member

Well i think im running into my first major issue with the program. I just created a large panoramic file, tried loading it into the On1 develop modele, but the program has been crashing. No issues when i load the file into the other editing programs i have. So, id say On1 is not that great with working with large files. The file in question is 1.5 gb and the computer shows it to be roughly 450mp.

04-14-2018, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #122
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Well i think im running into my first major issue with the program. I just created a large panoramic file, tried loading it into the On1 develop modele, but the program has been crashing. No issues when i load the file into the other editing programs i have. So, id say On1 is not that great with working with large files. The file in question is 1.5 gb and the computer shows it to be roughly 450mp.
I think this might be a case of needing to ensure the program is set up properly on your system as I have been having On1 crash on my system from time to time but yesterday I built a pano over 1.4GB in size without a problem.

As a first step can you confirm whether you have gone into Edit/preferences/system and changed any of the settings? It's a simple step to do and you can clear the cache whilst you're there which can't hurt. Beyond that if you continue to have problems I'd suggest speaking to tech support.

Tas
04-14-2018, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I think this might be a case of needing to ensure the program is set up properly on your system as I have been having On1 crash on my system from time to time but yesterday I built a pano over 1.4GB in size without a problem.

As a first step can you confirm whether you have gone into Edit/preferences/system and changed any of the settings? It's a simple step to do and you can clear the cache whilst you're there which can't hurt. Beyond that if you continue to have problems I'd suggest speaking to tech support.

Tas
yeah, The program works great on my system. haven't had issues since, but then again I have limited the size of the Panorama going through ON1. once I go above the 1.4GB mark my system and ON1 give up and the program crashes, anything below that it works great. since that time Ive found a new program PTGui for panoramas that Ive been trying out and that program works great. easy to use, and does a better job then ICE with the details. With what Ive seen, so far I'm most likely going to buy a copy for my panorama needs.
04-14-2018, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #124
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yeah, The program works great on my system. haven't had issues since, but then again I have limited the size of the Panorama going through ON1. once I go above the 1.4GB mark my system and ON1 give up and the program crashes, anything below that it works great. since that time Ive found a new program PTGui for panoramas that Ive been trying out and that program works great. easy to use, and does a better job then ICE with the details. With what Ive seen, so far I'm most likely going to buy a copy for my panorama needs.
Cool that you've got a solution that will work for you. The On1 advice is to combine the pano in sections but in the end the file size is going to be the same so I don't think that will help. Hopefully they get some improvements into it soon.

PTGui is one of the programs the 'pros' use, it's one of the two best pano programs around, the other is Kolor AutoPano ( http://www.kolor.com/autopano/ ), I trialed both about five years ago so I'm guessing the current versions would be pretty flash. Both programs have similar capabilities combining good control of the auto processes and the ability to add manual adjustments at scales well beyond any freeware or PS. These programs are what you want if you're into multi-layer panos. I have a Gigapan and have been using their program for the multi-layer stuff but it's not a patch on what PTGui and Autopano can do.

I hope we get to see some of your panos around the forums.

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 04-14-2018 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Added correct hyperlink. Doh!
04-14-2018, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #125
Veteran Member

Cool that you've got a solution that will work for you. The On1 advice is to combine the pano in sections but in the end the file size is going to be the same so I don't think that will help. Hopefully they get some improvements into it soon.

PTGui is one of the programs the 'pros' use, it's one of the two best pano programs around, the other is Kolor AutoPano ( http://www.kolor.com/autopano/ ), I trialed both about five years ago so I'm guessing the current versions would be pretty flash. Both programs have similar capabilities combining good control of the auto processes and the ability to add manual adjustments at scales well beyond any freeware or PS. These programs are what you want if you're into multi-layer panos. I have a Gigapan and have been using their program for the multi-layer stuff but it's not a patch on what PTGui and Autopano can do.

I hope we get to see some of your panos around the forums.

Tas

Yeah i was searching on one of the many forums and that one program came up. Ill need to try that autopano program before i commit to one or the other, thanks for the tip. Im currently in between tripods, but ill post some when i get a chance

04-16-2018, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #126
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah i was searching on one of the many forums and that one program came up. Ill need to try that autopano program before i commit to one or the other, thanks for the tip. Im currently in between tripods, but ill post some when i get a chance
This might interest you. It's a pano of 14 x 10sec images combined in On1. I left the camera in landscape orientation to avoid potential stitching faults so it's not really tall but I'd I'd have to say that On1 did a particularly good job of creating an image just under 31,000 pixels wide that doesn't looked warped.

Post your K-1 pictures! - Page 1046 - PentaxForums.com

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 04-16-2018 at 12:54 AM.
04-16-2018, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #127
Veteran Member

This might interest you. It's a pano of 14 x 10sec images combined in On1. I left the camera in landscape orientation to avoid potential stitching faults so it's not really tall but I'd I'd have to say that On1 did a particularly good job of creating an image just under 31,000 pixels wide that doesn't looked warped.

Post your K-1 pictures! - Page 1046 - PentaxForums.com

Tas

Wow nice panorama, that thing sure is wide

04-25-2018, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member

Looks like On1 put out a survey on how their program is. I liked how thorough their questions were asking things about each small detail of the program and finding ways to improve their program even more. I made sure to include some of the issues some of us have had to hopefully make a difference.
04-25-2018, 07:13 PM   #129

Original Poster
Looks like On1 put out a survey on how their program is. I liked how thorough their questions were asking things about each small detail of the program and finding ways to improve their program even more. I made sure to include some of the issues some of us have had to hopefully make a difference.
Me, too. I asked for
a) gridlines for transformation
b) quick mask moved to Effects
c) Support for dual displays
d) Support for Pentax HDR and Pixel Shift
e) A decent history file of actions that I can go to rather than rely on virtual pix or Cntr-Z

Fingers crossed. :-)
04-25-2018, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #130
Veteran Member

Just did it. It's nice they ask for our feedback, now Im crossing fingers that they will listen to the community.
04-27-2018, 04:15 PM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been experimenting with On1 too.

For me there are two deal breakers that are keeping me from using it full time insted of Lightroom.

The 1st, is that it doesn't handle pixel shift images. It just takes one image from teh envelope and works on that one. Worse there are no plans for them to support it.

The 2nd is the general instability of the program. It takes a long time to load a single non pixel shifted image and the program ferequently locks up doing so.

Until they get those two items fixed (The second one is urgent to me) it's a non starter. I may wind up using it in hybrid mode and transfer images there from Lightroom. though I hate the thought of converting to Tiff first.
04-27-2018, 05:01 PM   #132
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote

For me there are two deal breakers that are keeping me from using it full time insted of Lightroom.

The 1st, is that it doesn't handle pixel shift images. It just takes one image from teh envelope and works on that one. Worse there are no plans for them to support it.

The 2nd is the general instability of the program. It takes a long time to load a single non pixel shifted image and the program ferequently locks up doing so.

Until they get those two items fixed (The second one is urgent to me) it's a non starter. I may wind up using it in hybrid mode and transfer images there from Lightroom. though I hate the thought of converting to Tiff first.
If you already have LR why don't you just use On1 as an add-on? You can create a PSD, this will give you Layers if you want and you get the benefit of FX masking tools and PSD Layers will be intact if you also work in PS. It also means you can use Resize to export making use of the genuine fractals algorithms if you want to enlarge an image. Of course if you don't want to run two programs then none of those suggestions will help.

One thing many of us have found is the way On1 works compared to LR. LR takes a lot of time at the import stage. This is where LR is way slower than On1. The flip side to this is, as all the background framework/cataloguing is completed at the start it is quicker to work on an image within LR Develop etc. Everyone coming from LR identifies this but often they may miss linking that the trade off for speed in LR PP is the slow import at the start.

Another thing that many of us have found with On1 is how it works on the system you own whether that be Apple or Windows. It is less forgiving and it is worthwhile investing a bit of time setting up On1 to make the most out of your system. I find the minimum system recommendations from On1 ironic as technically the program may run on those machines but I don't think it would be much good. Of course that's an assumption as my system is at a higher spec. Disappointingly though I still have problems, but there are patterns to this and maybe this is worth trying before you write off On1 completely.

I have a lot of images, most on an attached NAS (>500, 000 images) and more than a gig on an internal drive. My system is about 5 years old and runs Win 7 with 32GB of RAM and 6GB of VRAM. So I have a lot of images but more than enough memory but the age of my system is a problem and soon I'll be doing the first OS refresh it's had in about four years. The aim is to fix some problems with the OS and hopefully improve the way On1 works for me. An OS refresh is a pretty significant maintenance routine so I don't suggest you must do one yourself for On1 to work, but I wanted you to understand my context and what I'm seeing with On1 on my system.

The point to make out of all of this relates to the number of images you have on your system and the size of the batches of new images you're loading. For that latter one are you returning home and importing 100 images or 1000?

Nobody at On1 Tech Support has confirmed this as I haven't asked, but I think On1 does a bit of image file management work in the background. So you load 100 new images, start sorting and processing and all the while you're doing this On1 is doing the type of LR import stuff (less cataloguing) on the rest of your images to make it more efficient during PP once it's done. Because of this I have regularly left On1 up and just sitting there in the background whilst I do other things. I think this has helped but I might be wrong as it still stops responding from time to time. It is however more stable than in the past.

So that's my experience with some conjecture thrown in. I came from LR6 as I wasn't interested in doing a subscription. Of course when you look at Adobe's rates per year and compare an annual On1 update there's no real difference other than the ownership of On1, it's portability without the internet and you choose how often you update. I recommend considering the above and seeing if any of it helps before you throw On1 into the bin as there are some features it has that goes way beyond LR capabilities as it sits more at a level of half LR and half PS. But unlike the Adobe offerings the masking options and the control you have over adjustments in FX is on a par or better than PS. IMHO, YMMV etc.

Tas
04-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote

I agree with Tas in what he said about the program. When I was dealing with adobe, they weren't any better at working with Pixelshift files, I had to work with raw therapee if I wanted to get the most out of those files. At times I do miss Photoshop and ACR. I wasn't much into lightroom it was always too slow for my work flow and ON1 felt light years ahead, granted I did love photoshop and ACR for how flexible those programs are especially the brushes, something that ON1 is not quite there, especially with the sharpening and noise control. for those reasons Ive been tempted on going back to photoshop. I just cant support their subscription process and if they offered a standalone non subscription photoshop/acr I would buy a license. I did have issues with On1 when I initially started with the program, ended up upgrading my whole computer and I haven't had issues with it at all since no crashes or locking up (exception being creating large Panoramas over a couple GB, but I started using PGUI for that)
05-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #134
Veteran Member

Looks like an update is coming in june

05-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've paid for On1 twice now, and while it has features that are attractive, I've not been impressed by it enough to abandon other software and even force myself to use it exclusively.

I bought it as I permanently left Lightroom, testing it alongside DxO and one other program.

While there are features in On1 that I've liked, there are some that I haven't been too happy with:

1. stability. The program seems to always crash on me, and I've had to do away with its internal catalog (i.e. no favorite folders). I've worked with their support, but it hasn't been too helpful and has not resolved my problems. Problems got worse with 2018 version of program.

2. speed. I find the program a bit slow. This isn't a huge deal (DxO isn't exactly fast), but the instability makes it painful to wait and then end up in a crash.

3. lens corrections. I am finding that it's corrections for lens, etc. are not great compared to LR and especially DxO. Running multiple RAW files through with multiple lenses, and I find it can be (not always) difficult to get equivalent results even when attempting manual lens corrections. DxO gets me there from the start 99.9%.

Ultimately, I'll keep On1 to use as a "plugin" for files processed with DxO, much as people are doing starting with LR. It's just not how I envisioned using it, especially since they seemed to be touting their software as a LR replacement.

-Erik