Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #136

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I've paid for On1 twice now, and while it has features that are attractive, I've not been impressed by it enough to abandon other software and even force myself to use it exclusively.

I bought it as I permanently left Lightroom, testing it alongside DxO and one other program.
Yeah, I think the days of having one program doing it all, like Lightroom, have been over for some time.

QuoteQuote:
1. stability. The program seems to always crash on me, and I've had to do away with its internal catalog (i.e. no favorite folders). I've worked with their support, but it hasn't been too helpful and has not resolved my problems. Problems got worse with 2018 version of program.

2. speed. I find the program a bit slow. This isn't a huge deal (DxO isn't exactly fast), but the instability makes it painful to wait and then end up in a crash.
If it only crashes with ON1, I agree there would be an issue. Are you suggesting it's the only software on your device that is causing this?

QuoteQuote:
3. lens corrections. I am finding that it's corrections for lens, etc. are not great compared to LR and especially DxO. Running multiple RAW files through with multiple lenses, and I find it can be (not always) difficult to get equivalent results even when attempting manual lens corrections. DxO gets me there from the start 99.9%.
I agree it's wise to have alternative options for its features. For example, I tend to use Adobe's underrated Fireworks for final compressing and optimising of processed images to upload to websites, myself.

QuoteQuote:
"Ultimately, I'll keep On1 to use as a "plugin" for files processed with DxO, much as people are doing starting with LR. It's just not how I envisioned using it, especially since they seemed to be touting their software as a LR replacement."
That's just marketing tosh. It's insane to turn your back on software like Lightroom v6.14 if you have it already. Likewise with DxO.

Did you know I don't use my Pentax kit for all my photography. Lumix LX7 works well for me, when I need to travel light.

05-11-2018, 05:10 AM   #137
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnhilvert Quote
That's just marketing tosh. It's insane to turn your back on software like Lightroom v6.14 if you have it already. Likewise with DxO.
Whilst I take your point, this is exactly what I've done... I've moved to a combination of digiKam, darktable and GIMP for library management, RAW development and image editing respectively, all running under Linux Mint - leaving my entire Windows-based photo workflow behind. There are a few things I miss from Lightroom, but I can work around them, and my new platform has plenty of capabilities that Lightroom didn't offer.

I could have stuck with Lightroom 6 for a couple of years more, as I've no intention of buying any new camera models in that time frame... but this way I'm becoming proficient with the new software sooner rather than later - and I have a smaller library of images to deal with when migrating.

I can honestly say, overall, it has been quite a liberating experience

I have retained one Adobe product: DNGConverter. Whilst digiKam has a RAW-to-DNG converter built-in, it doesn't support as many cameras. Adobe's product runs under WINE for Linux quite nicely
05-11-2018, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I think the days of having one program doing it all, like Lightroom, have been over for some time.

If it only crashes with ON1, I agree there would be an issue. Are you suggesting it's the only software on your device that is causing this?
On1 is the only program I have that won't complete its scan of my photo inventory; it's bug logging makes it impossible for me to even identify what file or files are causing the problem. I went as far as manually dropping in my folders, 1 subfolder at a time to narrow it down. Oddly, this was not a problem with the 2017 version of the program, but that version was slower than all get out. OTherwise, it is the only photography software I have on my computer right now that crashes regularly (DxO, LR, Affinity Photo, Photoshop, etc never crash on me). Actually, as long as I don't use a favorite folder (i.e. its library), I am fine too. But there have been other aspects of its feature set I have not liked. I know it wouldn't be a duplicate of any other software, but it takes me a lot of work to get output I am happy with. Given those issues, it does work as a plug-in, and can continue to. That won't entice me to purchase it again, however.

QuoteQuote:
I agree it's wise to have alternative options for its features. For example, I tend to use Adobe's underrated Fireworks for final compressing and optimising of processed images to upload to websites, myself.
I agree to an extent, but no one wants to have many tools for many tasks. We'd rather have a few tools for many tasks. I do keep and use a few programs for RAW processing because none of them are perfect, but DxO Elite has gotten me there more consistently than any other software has. LR, often required me to go out to Photoshop to complete or to just use a different RAW program.

QuoteQuote:
While every program has its benefits, LR6 has been effectively dead for me from the beginning. While it added some features I liked, it was slow for me and require me to take many steps to get the same output I could get with DxO with a few steps. My problem with DxO has been that it isn't that friendly from a workflow perspective although I've learned it a lot better and have made it work for me. Otherwise, when a software advertises features that sound good or that are in the pipeline, you give it a try. Plus, I was relying on the previous On1 plugins quite heavily to make up for the limitations I was finding with LR (from an end-product perspective).

QuoteQuote:
Did you know I don't use my Pentax kit for all my photography. Lumix LX7 works well for me, when I need to travel light.
Me too, although I am using a Canon G7 x ii for my 2nd camera. Is it perfect, no, but I know when I need it and it is great with a 2 year old daughter running everywhere.

I'm not adverse to multiple tools, but I am adverse to buying tools that serve a limited function. It's a lot tidier to work with as few tools as possible that still achieve your goals, but of course no software can do everything. It is nice when they can do a lot.

My eye is still on the end product, but workflow, speed, even economy play a factor in selecting and balancing compromises, especially as a hobbyist that derives no income from photography. Case in point, if I was making money, I might make more of an effort with Capture 1, which might actually be what I need, but it's cost keeps me away from it. DxO isn't too economical either, but I got it cheap once and bought the upgrade because of the Nik purchase. Not sure I'll do it again, although if the company can stick out its current financial woes, I will support it.

Last edited by emalvick; 05-11-2018 at 03:42 PM.
05-11-2018, 08:47 PM   #139
Veteran Member

Well for the update they are releasing, its suppose to help with much of the speed issues and a good number of bugs, along with adding some extra features that should be welcoming. Hopefully it will fix much of the issues that it appears everyone is having.

05-12-2018, 04:07 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Well for the update they are releasing, its suppose to help with much of the speed issues and a good number of bugs, along with adding some extra features that should be welcoming. Hopefully it will fix much of the issues that it appears everyone is having.
They have a really massive number of bugs. Another one : meta-data filter. If I do a searched based on one of my keywords (tags), I never get the same number of matches twice. Makes the whole metadata catalog completely useless.
Must be some pretty bad bug/race condition. No other program I have tried does this.
05-14-2018, 12:45 AM   #141
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is an interesting thread to keep tabs on John, ta for kicking it off.

I'm glad to see more forum members have given On1 a go but having used their products for years must say I'm disappointed that people are not particularly enamored with Photo RAW 2018. Having had many frustrations myself I can understand this and appreciate the open discussion this thread has established for both positives and negatives.

Thankfully On1 do listen and I'd have to say that since the end of 2016 they've been making significant efforts to improve the capability and functionality of the program. There's still a bit of 'holy grail' about the program so far as 'getting it to do what the spiel says it will' but there are improvements so I hope I won't be the only one who continues with On1.

I made this post as recently I received a couple of emails that offered significant savings on a renewal which for me was due back in March where I chose not to do a renewal. So this offer meant my renewal would be from May to May and includes the On1 Plus program. The price was too good to say no.

All in all the offer has had me interested in using the program again and hoping this next update is as revolutionary as it looks. They've started talking about the updates and releasing videos demonstrating how the program will work. The video below was posted 2 days ago but nobody has added a link and I thought it worthwhile doing so as the way it seems to function reminds me of LR. With luck a lot of the problems will be sorted and the frustrations sated or at least reduced to a level that lets people see the positives as outweighing the negatives.

Tas
05-14-2018, 06:34 AM   #142

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
...The video below was posted 2 days ago but nobody has added a link and I thought it worthwhile doing so as the way it seems to function reminds me of LR. With luck a lot of the problems will be sorted and the frustrations sated or at least reduced to a level that lets people see the positives as outweighing the negatives.
Yeah, I like ON1 Photo RAW and the improvements demonstrated are welcome but trivial in my view. About the only new thing that made me take notice was to introduce LUTs or (look up tables for colour grading) - which Lightroom v 7 introduced already..

If they'd rolled out more fundamental Lightroom features like a history log to get me easily out of a post-processing hole or support for dual displays, that would have made me smile more.

I did notice that ON1 is offering discounts of $69.99 (USD) well below its notional RRP of $119.99 with a 30-day money back guarantee, suggesting they are starting to be hurt by other competitors.

That said, the more I use it, the more I like it.

05-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #143
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the improvements demonstrated are welcome but trivial in my view
Many posting in this thread have said the program is slow compared to their experience with other programs, hence I thought it would interest those subscribed to the thread.

The other big complaint is the crashing which I don't expect a video on and as each person's system is different only time will tell how that pans out. They're indicating some big under the hood improvements which is what was needed to stabilise Photo RAW 2017, after which it became a much better program. I hope the same here as they've identified faulty file handling will alter to not load the file instead of crashing the program. An interesting thing to point to I thought.

I too have lamented the loss of dual screen compatibility, it worked a treat with LR & PS so that will be something to look forward to. I've not considered LUT's before, will need to read up a bit on them and see whether they will be of use to me or not. Like a lot of this stuff it's obviously been a priority for many more people and I get something I may never use. There's a new video on LUT's in FX BTW if you want to see how they're implementing it.

I've not used the history log in ages so no longer miss it. I used to use it in LR semi-regularly but without one Photo RAW has forced me to be more diligent in what is applied and how I apply it. If something doesn't seem to be working I can turn off an individual filter at a time to see where the problem is which is my way of stepping back. It's not as precise but it gets me to what's causing the problem so I can focus on that. Usually the difficult errors centre around a less than perfect mask, but maybe that's just me.

Yet whilst I've been mostly happy with the program it took a price reduction to tempt me back into the next version and the Plus program. And I wouldn't read too much into this price reduction, every year they seem to make a really good offer so maybe it's less about the competition and more to do with trying to appeal to new customers. But who knows, you might be right.

Last edited by Tas; 05-16-2018 at 03:04 PM.
06-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #144

Original Poster
Processing for Infrared images

I’ve been doing some infrared photography with my k-01 and loving it .

What I find irksome with ON1 is it does not seem to support mixing of red and blue channels, which is vital for getting faux colours such as blue skies. My workaround is to export a white balanced version as a TIFF file and open it in GIMP to mix channels in its colour mixer and then re-import to ON1 for final touch ups.

In Lightroom there’s a one click solution as it supports 3rd party editors.

I’ve supported an ON1 forum to press for the ability to mix red and blue channels as well as more support for external editors.

Are there any other options for processing infrared in ON1?
06-19-2018, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #145
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Release of Photo RAW 2018.5

It's finally out: ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 - Release Notes ? ON1 Support

This image was processed using 2018.5.

Some notes on the update:

• It's big, about 1GB in size.
  • It does let you go to Develop from Browse quicker however whilst the image appears straight away it's like loading an image in Browse where there's a delay before the full image is available to work on. If there's a time difference it's small IMHO etc.
  • The export whilst working on other images is the most noticeable difference in working on the one image so far. The panel is completely revamped and whilst it had my default 2000px on the longside in the Photo size thingy it appears to be defaulting to full size so I need to check that out. It did indeed however export in the background whilst I went back to Browse to sort some images so a very handy improvement.
That's all I have time for now but anyone else who downloads the update might like to share their experiences here too.

Oh, and in case you missed it: Adobe reports record revenue (yes, again) | Photo Rumors

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 06-19-2018 at 05:57 PM.
06-19-2018, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #146

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
It's finally out: ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 - Release Notes ? ON1 Support

This image was processed using 2018.5.

Some notes on the update:

• It's big, about 1GB in size.
  • It does let you go to Develop from Browse quicker however whilst the image appears straight away it's like loading an image in Browse where there's a delay before the full image is available to work on. If there's a time difference it's small IMHO etc.
  • The export whilst working on other images is the most noticeable difference in working on the one image so far. The panel is completely revamped and whilst it had my default 2000px on the longside in the Photo size thingy it appears to be defaulting to full size so I need to check that out. It did indeed however export in the background whilst I went back to Browse to sort some images so a very handy improvement.
That's all I have time for now but anyone else who downloads the update might like to share their experiences here too.

Oh, and in case you missed it: Adobe reports record revenue (yes, again) | Photo Rumors

Tas
I'm downloading it now, and excited to see the updates; I've been using this since last November and love it!
06-20-2018, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #147
Veteran Member

Yeah i only got to play with it for a little but of time. It does seem quicker, and the added profiles are nice. Not much of an update in relation to medium format lenses, but ill hopefully be able to dive into more detail when ill use it later.

06-21-2018, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #148
Veteran Member

I'll have to check the update out, but I am generally less than thrilled. When the 2017 was released a year and a half ago, I was excited, but then the features described early on have come about slowly and then I had to buy and update for 2018 to get the potential for features I thought I would get with 2017, and now that is dragging.

No real offense to On1 directly, but most of these developers and software are working on an unofficial subscription model with slow feature updates and a requirement to buy an update every year. It's just a yearly subscription, and to our benefit we get to keep what we got if we choose to opt out... So, I won't complain too much, and all the software is doing this. It's just a little irksome. I've tried to get into Luminar and On1 to keep my eyes on anything that might become a default for my editing, especially if DxO goes away, but both are dragging their feet on getting all the features I thought were coming.
06-21-2018, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I'll have to check the update out, but I am generally less than thrilled. When the 2017 was released a year and a half ago, I was excited, but then the features described early on have come about slowly and then I had to buy and update for 2018 to get the potential for features I thought I would get with 2017, and now that is dragging.

No real offense to On1 directly, but most of these developers and software are working on an unofficial subscription model with slow feature updates and a requirement to buy an update every year. It's just a yearly subscription, and to our benefit we get to keep what we got if we choose to opt out... So, I won't complain too much, and all the software is doing this. It's just a little irksome. I've tried to get into Luminar and On1 to keep my eyes on anything that might become a default for my editing, especially if DxO goes away, but both are dragging their feet on getting all the features I thought were coming.

I wouldnt say its a unofficial subscription. The software will continue to work as it should, without needing to continue to pay for it. I mean should we say that a k1ii is an unofficial update to the k1 and we should be able to get the improvements for free?

06-21-2018, 08:49 AM - 2 Likes   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
I wouldnt say its a unofficial subscription. The software will continue to work as it should, without needing to continue to pay for it. I mean should we say that a k1ii is an unofficial update to the k1 and we should be able to get the improvements for free?
Actually it is... Only Adobe sets up a subscription so that the software is crippled at the end. In the other cases, I am paying about $100 a year for small incremental updates with the only benefit over Adobe that I do get to keep the software.

BTW, Adobe's model is like having a magazine subscription that when it's run out, you're only allowed to look at the cover and perhaps the table of contents. Real subscriptions would let you freeze where you stop and keep the whole magazine. It's more like a rental than a subscription. Just my opinion.

Really, I should stop with all the little upgrades and bite the bullet and get CO, and perhaps I will save up for that route. DxO is quite good and will hold me over for a few more years (should DxO close up shop) at which point I could buy CO and move on.