Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2017, 11:51 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
And this is the direction and cause of the thread, I cannot help feel that I need to deliver a level of consistency with the images I supply to the client at the end of the job, rather than a jumbled up mess of miss matched shots.
What kind of jobs are you talking about?

If you are taking many closely-related photos for a client, then they would be of the same subject(s), and therefore you should be PPing them very similarly. You should be able to do PP on one of them, and then apply the same modifications to all of them (usually very easy depending on the software). Is that not what you are doing? What types of photos are you taking for clients?

There are kind of two things you are mentioning here: 1) Providing consistently-PPed photos for one project 2) Developing a personal style so your photos have a consistent signature across projects. You should probably at least get #1 down before worrying about #2.

Last edited by leekil; 11-19-2017 at 12:00 AM.
11-19-2017, 04:03 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think for personal photography focusing yourself in any particular post processing style is important. There is plenty of room to experiment.

When you are shooting professionally, I do think clients want to have an idea ahead of time of how you are going to shoot and process their images. There, I think some level of consistency is probably important. There is still room for fun stuff, but the bulk of the photos should fit with a general style that you have advertised yourself to shoot in.
11-19-2017, 05:19 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
What kind of jobs are you talking about?

If you are taking many closely-related photos for a client, then they would be of the same subject(s), and therefore you should be PPing them very similarly. You should be able to do PP on one of them, and then apply the same modifications to all of them (usually very easy depending on the software). Is that not what you are doing? What types of photos are you taking for clients?

There are kind of two things you are mentioning here: 1) Providing consistently-PPed photos for one project 2) Developing a personal style so your photos have a consistent signature across projects. You should probably at least get #1 down before worrying about #2.
Hopefully weddings. I have one booked for early December (they are aware of my limited experience in this regard but are happy to push forward), and hopefully more in 2018. I also do a few other low key paid jobs such as photographing speakers etc.
I also aim to do more landscaping, I'm not sure if this is revenue making however, but it would be nice to have a consistency across the board with them.

You're bang on about points 1 and 2. So far I have applied point 1 before, for a few different jobs and indeed are applying that process to a job I am working on now, I am now pondering if it is worth trying to stop doing lots of point 1)'s and instead move to point 2 for pretty much everything (well not everything but certainly subject related). For example, apply this tone and these presets for portraits etc, but when landscaping do this (possibly even b&w only for landscaping etc). (not saying I would do that, just example to get the idea across).

I could start linking people I follow, some do landscape and waterfalls only in b&w (often infrared as well I think), there work is of a very high standard. Other people I know shoot models, street fashion, all the pics have a certain desaturated warm tone etc. Point is, their work becomes identifiable, when looking at a profile of their work (many shots on the screen etc) it flows nicely, and it actually also got me thinking about it from a PP perspective that it might also assist in speeding up that process rather than overly analysing each and every shot thinking about what to adjust and where to go with it (which is what I currently do for my personal photography).

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think for personal photography focusing yourself in any particular post processing style is important. There is plenty of room to experiment.

When you are shooting professionally, I do think clients want to have an idea ahead of time of how you are going to shoot and process their images. There, I think some level of consistency is probably important. There is still room for fun stuff, but the bulk of the photos should fit with a general style that you have advertised yourself to shoot in.
Yep, and going forward in 2018 I want to be able to show more of a consistent portfolio of images, rather than a mixed bag of goodies.

I'm appreciating all the feed back currently, I'm not hearing of many users however saying 'this is the style I do' or 'I adore these presets from this place and apply them 90% of the time' etc. I just wondered if some folk wanted to chime in with that sorta thing or whether its top secret hush hush don't steal my flow lol.
11-19-2017, 11:03 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For example, apply this tone and these presets for portraits etc, but when landscaping do this (possibly even b&w only for landscaping etc). (not saying I would do that, just example to get the idea across).
It makes sense to not apply the same presets to all types of subjects -- especially if you are talking about using more "distinctive " presets.

You might also use different presets for different sets of photos (particular sets, not necessarily different subjects), if you are trying to convey a certain mood with those photos.

I could start linking people I follow, some do landscape and waterfalls only in b&w (often infrared as well I think), there work is of a very high standard. Other people I know shoot models, street fashion, all the pics have a certain desaturated warm tone etc. Point is, their work becomes identifiable, when looking at a profile of their work (many shots on the screen etc) it flows nicely, and it actually also got me thinking about it from a PP perspective that it might also assist in speeding up that process rather than overly analysing each and every shot thinking about what to adjust and where to go with it (which is what I currently do for my personal photography).
Is there any particular "look" you want? And would that look be different from anyone else's particular look?

Yep, and going forward in 2018 I want to be able to show more of a consistent portfolio of images, rather than a mixed bag of goodies.
I looked through a bunch of your Flickr photos' and I didn't think they looked particularly like a mixed bag. They generally looked relatively "normal" -- other than the obvious difference between the color vs. b&w. But perhaps there is more of a difference than I noticed, just by looking at the thumbnail photostream view?

I'm appreciating all the feed back currently, I'm not hearing of many users however saying 'this is the style I do' or 'I adore these presets from this place and apply them 90% of the time' etc. I just wondered if some folk wanted to chime in with that sorta thing or whether its top secret hush hush don't steal my flow lol.
I haven't noticed many people on here having a specific "look", though there are plenty of subforums that I don't look at as much. Most people seem to just make their photos "look good".

Is there a particular type of emotion you want to convey with your photography? The particular processing may convey something in particular; is there something you want it to convey? Is there something you don't want it to convey? How does that emotion work in the work of other photographers with a distinctive look?

Another focus could be that you achieve a particular look though the tone of the subject matter, rather than the processing. The subject, composition, and mood covered in the image you have snapped could also be an individual style that might or might not be accompanied by a processing style.

There is also the aspect that something that is distinctly processed, if not sufficiently unique or interesting, could look cliched, if it is a commonly-seen style.

11-20-2017, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Yeah, I know. It was kinda a stream of consciousness, and I thought about going back and trying to make it pretty....

Actually fighting a killer headache - yes, had it before I started writing - not a result of writing (weather triggers these for me), but as I just looked back to see if I could break it apart, well, ugh! Maybe when the haze lifts.

---------- Post added 11-18-17 at 02:17 PM ----------

OK, gave a quick attempt at breaking it up. Please don't hold me to any writing style standards - my only explanation to even looking at the computer right now is being unwilling to surrender another day to these blasted weather triggered head pounders.
Sorry for your pain. I used to have crazy 3 day migraines when I was a teenager. Mine was not weather triggered anyway.

I do have a friend though who was in a motor accident a few years back. Wet cold weather causes him extreme pain. He has to take medication on a daily basis.

He has moved somewhere in Africa, where the weather is warm and dry. He does not need medication when he is there. Go figure.

Thanks taking the time even with the headache. I wouldnt have bothered if I was having one of my migraines.

Culture.
11-20-2017, 04:14 AM   #21
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, so I don't really know what to call this, but I'm just trying to open up a forum of discussion on peoples various styles for PP. You see, if you check out my flickr page you'll see I'll wildly flip from one style to the next, image to image, I have little consistency. One minute it could be b&w, and the next even another b&w but this time processed very differently, then onto a colour pic with declarity, then onto a vibrant desaturated but high clarity shot. I have no 'style guide'. Looking at each picture one at a time is fine, but take a step back and look at many at once and it can look a bit off putting and amateurish.

I think partially this is due to my feeling that each and every picture is taken with its own unique composition and settings therefore rather than trying to stuff it into a particular preset I feel it benefits from going in this direction or that.

But now I might have to develop some consistency from a job or workflow/presentation perspective. Even framing or bordering every shot with the same thickness and colour of bordering might bring out that kinda consistency I think some of my work may need.

I haven't gotten into LR presets yet, and I just wondered if anyone out there takes this kinda thing seriously or deems it important?
First off, I don't sell anything, I shoot for myself. In that sense, I don't need a style.

Now, if I have developed a style, it mainly means:
1. I have done a lot of experimentation and have started to figure out what I like and what I don't like (although that changes over time)
2. I'm lazy - so when I find a look I like I create a preset/recipe so I don't have to do the same stuff over and over
3. I have found that I do some of the same basic adjustments for every picture no matter what kind. These I have implemented as automatic import settings in LR (separate presets for each camera-ISO combo so I can have different sharpening and NR applied by default, etc.). Saves me a lot of manual work.

One thing I have learnt is to stay off the clarity and saturation sliders (with a very few exceptions). I see too many over-saturated and "over-clarified" images. Yes, they're punchy, but rather boring - and they look just like all the other over-saturated images out there. And I don't really think of a "thirteen to the dozen" approach as a style

So to re-iterate, I think developing a style involves trying out wildly different workflows to figure out what works for you. Then create presets and recipes to save yourself from repeating the same steps. This will automatically lead to more consistency.

One more thing; consistency is all well and good, but I think it's important to keep experimenting, keep evolving your "style" to avoid getting boring - and bored.
11-20-2017, 05:59 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I'm not hearing of many users however saying 'this is the style I do'
Agreed. This thread calls for images!

11-20-2017, 06:35 AM   #23
Pentaxian

If I have a style, I'm not aware of it.
I suspect most of the world is like me. I sue what makes the most of my circumstances.

My style this week.
Hi key.

My style last week, colour accents.

You go with what you have.

Back in my black and white days I preferred a hi contrast presentation of images. I really liked snappy. You have so much more control of DR with digital I find that is now often un-necessary.
11-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If I have a style, I'm not aware of it.
That first high key picture is one I would say bears a certain signature style of yours, although I'd have a hard time defining said style. There's something in that image that is consistent with many other snowtime shots I have seen from you. And your landscape shots (including non-winter) have that same something about them. I'm not saying I'd recognize any and all of your pictures, but I could definitely pick out a few in a random set
11-20-2017, 08:00 AM   #25
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not hearing of many users however saying 'this is the style I do' or 'I adore these presets from this place and apply them 90% of the time' etc
Ah, didn't see that one. I did start out looking for ready-made presets for Lightroom but quickly concluded that I might as well roll my own. I'm not at my "darkroom" PC now, but from memory my LR import settings are roughly:
- Highlights pulled down (different settings per ISO and camera, but say 50-90 down)
- Shadows pulled up (depending on ISO say 50-70 up)
- Pulling in the black and white points to increase contrast (Whites up about 10-20, Blacks roughly 10 down)
- Lens profile applied
- CA correction applied
- Noise reduction set to none for lower ISO values, applied to taste for higher ISOs
- Sharpening; for cameras with AA filters I use roughly 100 minus the value of NR; much less for AA-less cameras
- Important - add a sharpening mask of 50-100 depending on NR and sharpening values (basically increase until you don't sharpen image noise).
- I set Camera Calibration to Embedded rather than Adobe Default
- Everything else I apply by hand on an image-to-image basis.

Of course, this is all a matter of taste, and highlights, shadows, whites, and blacks need to be adjusted per image anyway, but usually not by too much. Maybe 80% of the work is done automatically on import.

Btw, by pulling in the white and black points you will also increase perceived saturation. I will sometimes knock the saturation slider a few points down to compensate.

Also worth checking out is the Split Toning - there are some nice videos on the topic. I don't have any presets for this, though.
11-20-2017, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Sorry for your pain. I used to have crazy 3 day migraines when I was a teenager. Mine was not weather triggered anyway.

I do have a friend though who was in a motor accident a few years back. Wet cold weather causes him extreme pain. He has to take medication on a daily basis.

He has moved somewhere in Africa, where the weather is warm and dry. He does not need medication when he is there. Go figure.

Thanks taking the time even with the headache. I wouldnt have bothered if I was having one of my migraines.

Culture.
Thank you. I don't mean to bitch - more trying to explain the chaos of my ramble, but sometimes do end up feeling like howling at the moon. Loosing life to stuff like this sucks, and I just try to push through as much as I can. 3 herniated discs in the neck are I think tied into this - nerve compression, stenosis, etc. - think it all amplifies the weather as stuff gets compressed with changes. But, I'm grateful I can still get around. Others are not so lucky. Thanks again for the kind thoughts.

Last edited by clickclick; 11-20-2017 at 12:47 PM.
11-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's consistency to the shots of a particular event, and there's consistency across your entire portfolio and career. The former is far more important than the latter in my opinion. If I'm shooting a wedding, I want that wedding's portfolio to have a consistency and a "style" to it that matches the event, the location, the couple and family, etc. But this weekend's informal outdoor wedding at a vineyard can have a different style than next week's traditional big church wedding. There can and should be an undercurrent of similarity running between the two (your signature so to speak) but they will be differently styled.

I think I'm confusing myself now lol.
11-21-2017, 11:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I think the problem is not only about consistency PP but also consistency of light.
I shoot an event at one place. and the light was basically the same the whole event.
This makes it possible to shoot and apply the same style of PP.

But most wedding for example, have atleast 2 different locations.
Getting the light to be on the same level can be difficult.

This basically means that you have to figure out how to be consistent with the PP mood for atleast 2 different locations.
11-22-2017, 12:16 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I think the problem is not only about consistency PP but also consistency of light.
I shoot an event at one place. and the light was basically the same the whole event.
This makes it possible to shoot and apply the same style of PP.

But most wedding for example, have atleast 2 different locations.
Getting the light to be on the same level can be difficult.

This basically means that you have to figure out how to be consistent with the PP mood for atleast 2 different locations.
+1 ^ This!

I already can be consistent at one event, it's when doing several events at different venues, that things get harder to control, I do use the Reference Photo feature of LR occasionally but I'm wondering if it needs to become a more integral part of my PP.
11-22-2017, 08:19 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 ^ This!

I already can be consistent at one event, it's when doing several events at different venues, that things get harder to control, I do use the Reference Photo feature of LR occasionally but I'm wondering if it needs to become a more integral part of my PP.
Are you using a color calibration tool like the X-rite Colorchecker Passport? I would think it could be quite helpful for consistency in your baseline, even between lenses at the same location. Awhile back, there was a post here where differences in color rendition between lenses of the same subject was shown. The solution for consistency was use of a color calibration tool.

Last edited by clickclick; 11-22-2017 at 08:28 PM.