Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2017, 04:45 AM   #31
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Agree. Software can't fix everything, at least not on my skill level. I personally try my best to get the most in–camera so I don't have to rely too much on post processing. Sometimes the conditions are limiting what we can get, but I think that is also a challenge to creativity.

11-27-2017, 06:11 AM   #32
Veteran Member

i'm a lazy post processor
as a consequence I have lots of tools that perform specific functions

after running the samples in this post through a variety of apps I found photomatix gave me the most satisfactory output in the least amount of time

as long as you are careful the tonemapping solution can give quite pleasing results
11-27-2017, 06:17 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
Great edit, great advice. This is the output I have after running it through Photoshop and Lightroom (I'm an amateur of both). I overplayed with some effects, but that's not the point :-)

Conclusion: I understand I can't take any bad photo and rely on software to have a perfect one, but there is definitely room for improvement for almost any photo. If not, what's the point of post processing?

Yes, I'm sure we can find photographic opportunity at any time, any place, under any condition, providing that we're creative enough (I'm not that good though), and by no mean I said photos can only by taken at dawn and dusk ;-) at the same time, I'm sure, for any limited time trip, to visit some of the most beautiful places of your destination, you won't wish for cloudy weather, because you are not able to return to it the next days to wait for the right chance ;-)

Thank you all for your help.
I definitely would look at Nik Effects. At least at this point, it is still free and has a lot of tools to tweak photos. I would just caution that the same as with Topaz Suite, you need to be a little careful as it is easy to push photos into the garish zone, but I use Color Efex Pro and Silver Efex a lot and they really are simple to use and can add more zip to a photo.
11-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #34
Veteran Member

late last year I went out to get my car worked on
it was a lovely autumn day...that turned grey and cold in fairly short order
however I shot quite a few landscapes hoping to get something salvageable

this is a typical edit...probably five to ten minutes start to finish

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X30  Photo