Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-25-2017, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Darktable for windows - recommendation as LR replacement

I just tried the most recent build of Darktable under Windows 10.
darktable for Windows - darktable - discuss.pixls.us

I have to say I like it a lot. And while it is different and obviously new stuff means learning new things, I think I would have learned it faster than compared to LR.
It works very stable.

I especially like to option to configure a set of favorite tools in the right pane.
Also I like the map view option as I am very unhappy that Adobe simply stopped map support for version 5.7.1 recently.

Online manual is here: darktable 2.2 | user manual | darktable
Offline manual: resources | darktable

11-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
LR's Map module continues to work great in my copy of ver 5.7.1 (Windows 7.1)... easy, no problems.
Interesting. Seems like you have a special copy:

lightroom map module offline |*Adobe Community
Map Module Constantly Going Offline |*Adobe Community
Map won't load "Map is offline" in LR... |*Adobe Community
Map module, strange behaviour | Lightroom Forums
11-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah Darktable is great. As Linux user I have been pretty happy to have a good cross platform option!
Amazingly though its not the only good free option. I now use RawTherapee which I like better. RawTherapee is more straight forward to set up to get decent NR and has great support for Pixelshift!
11-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's always nice to see applications go cross-platform so a wider audience than just us linux users can appreciate them. Although I always have the feeling they run that much more responsive and efficient on Linux and are less prone to crashing, eventually we'll end up in a world where the OS is no longer relevant to the choice of software available and that is excellent. The computer will merely be an appliance with the OS as an almost invisible layer that supports the user running any software he chooses.

11-26-2017, 12:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like darkroom. But I find its UI a little confusing compared to RAwtherapee, which I use most. I like the daheze and perspective tools, and some presets for the developing like "Velvia".