Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Video Editing Software Recommendations.

I need pointing in the right direction for some video editing software.

I have done minimal video editing before with other programs such as AVS Video Editor and things like that. It might be up to the job anyway, but I was curious if (like LR and PS) there is a general consensus no fuss and fairly easy to operate video editor program out there.

The footage will be shot with the KP, the audio captured by the LAV+ mic thing, so I think I ideally I want to capture video only with the KP and then merge the audio onto that? Can you even set the KP to record video without sound? Or do you erase the audio track after the fact?

This one popped up in my email today, have no idea if this is a good deal or not; Pinnacle Studio 20 Ultimate PNST20ULEFAM B&H Photo Video

TIA!

Bruce

11-28-2017, 11:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
lightworks is supposed to be good, not tried it yet, hope too soon, but I don't do much video stuff.
Lightworks: The professional editor for everyone
11-29-2017, 12:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you already paid for Adobe Creative Cloud? If so, Premiere and or AfterEffect are there.
11-29-2017, 12:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

There are Premiere Pro from Adobe, Finalcut Pro from Apple and Davinci Resolve from Blackmagic which are the three most common programs for professionals. They’re all not on the cheap side. But there are a lot of other cheaper or even freeware programs that will probably get the job done for you. I‘ve always worked with Finalcut at my job so unfortunately I don’t know any of those other options but you will probably find some very quickly or maybe other members here can point you in the right direction.

It is essential to always record the video with sound when you record the sound separately. The software uses the sound from the video file to automatically sync with the separately recorded audio file. Manual syncing is a pain in the a**.

11-29-2017, 12:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
Are you already paid for Adobe Creative Cloud? If so, Premiere and or AfterEffect are there.
Yup I am, cool will check those out.

QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
There are Premiere Pro from Adobe, Finalcut Pro from Apple and Davinci Resolve from Blackmagic which are the three most common programs for professionals. They’re all not on the cheap side. But there are a lot of other cheaper or even freeware programs that will probably get the job done for you. I‘ve always worked with Finalcut at my job so unfortunately I don’t know any of those other options but you will probably find some very quickly or maybe other members here can point you in the right direction.

It is essential to always record the video with sound when you record the sound separately. The software uses the sound from the video file to automatically sync with the separately recorded audio file. Manual syncing is a pain in the a**.
Ah, good to know. Thanks for the heads up!
11-29-2017, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I need pointing in the right direction for some video editing software.
I was curious if (like LR and PS) there is a general consensus no fuss and fairly easy to operate video editor program out there.

Bruce
For the most part, easy to learn or 'intuitive' programs are generally very limiting and are basic. On a Mac, iMovie is not perfect, but fits the bill.

Adobe Premiere is cross platform (Windows and Mac), fairly powerful, but not easy. However, there is Adobe Premiere Elements which is both affordable, cross-platform, and relatively easy and reliable.

Keep in mind, that video editing will usually require that your hardware is fast and powerful. A large SSD or Fusion drive, plenty of RAM, and a fast processor will be the difference between efficient editing and a crash-prone exercise in hell.
11-29-2017, 01:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you like something free and very powerful, the video gear experts at blackmagic design offer DaVinci Resolve 14: [download link at page bottom]

Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 14

The Windows version is a ~600MB download.

It's free to use and download. However if you want to edit 4K and above video, and do some other super fancy stuff, you'll need to upgrade to DaVinci Resolve Studio, which costs AUD$400.

Cool to see that Resolve features Fairlight Audio technology. I thought Fairlight were dead, but it looks like they have new life in software and mixing consoles. I remember their original synthesizer.

11-29-2017, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #8

I recently bought Wondershare Filmora which is a very easy to use video editing package. It has plenty of effects and titles built in. It's quite limited compared to the other things mentioned but if like me you're just making short videos for facebook then it's ideal.
11-29-2017, 01:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm starting to work with video in advance of a forthcoming trip. For free editing programs on PC, Shotcut is very good and not difficult to learn - however it doesn't use keyframes, so that you can't animate (e.g. Zoom) in PP. Openshot is a good alternative that does use keyframes.

I have my video SR turned off, and de-shake using VirtualDub with a de-shaker plugin, which does a marvellous job of stabilising. I also use the 'muted' profile and adjust saturation and contrast in PP, which seems to work better than the other built-in profiles, but it's a little more work in post.

Leave the sound on; it greatly assists in syncing and can be muted in post.
11-29-2017, 05:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Can you even set the KP to record video without sound? Or do you erase the audio track after the fact?
As per microlight: record in camera sound as well...

I prefer premiere pro and as a free solution: black magic resolve for 2k editing (thus for us pentax users :-) ).
For backyard editing, affordable programs (such as pinnacle or others mentioned here) may be a more userfriendly option..
Maybe try out premiere elements?
11-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

There's no single answer since it depends a lot on how much editing you need to do...

I use Hitfilm Express, which is free but with paying plugins if you need more functions. But for basic editing, like the ones you described, the basic free version should work fine. You can seperately edit video and audio tracks, so you should have no problem merging the video clips from the KP with the audio from the external microphone. Hitfilm is also quite easy to use, even for unexperienced users, with many tutorials available.
11-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #12

I used Premiere Pro, which is pretty comprehensive. You can find a one month trial for free online.

imovie is a very simple editor if you use mac, and is often free.
11-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

If you demand something free then I'd recommend DaVinci Resolve 14. It's pretty powerful, and is certainly the most cost effective option (can't beat 0!), and I find it plays better with real life footage than Premiere does in general.
I was actually considering swapping from premiere to DaVinci but there's a few features it's missing for the type of editing I do.

Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 14
11-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for suggestions, I now have places to go to compare prices and features

Yes this will be some 1080p max basic editing here, something that allows the merge of separate audio and some font overlay work, visual fade in and outs, stuff like that.
11-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm happy with Premiere Elements, Bruce ... very reasonably priced.

You should record with the sound on, and delete that track later in post if you're putting a separate sound recording over it.