Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #16

I don't do video professionally, so I am happy enough using Corel VideoStudio. It does a decent job for everything that I have to do with it, plus it is very inexpensive. Click here for the PC Mag Review of version X10.

Last edited by Joe Dusel; 11-29-2017 at 05:44 PM.
11-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Didn't see this mentioned above (or else I missed it) but you can download HitFilm Express and use it for free. Apparently it's got all the same features as Hit Film Pro.

HitFilm Express: Free editing & VFX software - HitFilm.com

I've used Premiere and After Effects, Final Cut, iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, and a couple of others.

For the price (free) it's excellent. it's fairly intuitive and high quality.
11-30-2017, 01:06 AM   #18

Sony Vegas Pro / VEGAS Movie Studio 14 Platinum VEGAS Pro ? Customisable workflow for professional video editing
12-01-2017, 12:03 AM   #19
Pentaxian

ColorDirector - Effortless Color Grading. Pro Results. | CyberLink

Came as an add-on with PhotoDirector, works ok despite my weak video skills. I guess Power director is the video app that Color works with.

12-01-2017, 12:31 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'm happy with Premiere Elements, Bruce ... very reasonably priced.

You should record with the sound on, and delete that track later in post if you're putting a separate sound recording over it.
Premiere Elements is the Adobe one? I'm currently around the $14AUD/month subscription for I think LR/PS and Portfolio. I think using Elements shoves that up to around double that per month right? Get's a bit pricey then for someone like me who is gonna be a semi casual video user (tho obviously it's ok value for someone who uses it a lot).
12-01-2017, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Premiere Elements is the Adobe one? I'm currently around the $14AUD/month subscription for I think LR/PS and Portfolio. I think using Elements shoves that up to around double that per month right? Get's a bit pricey then for someone like me who is gonna be a semi casual video user (tho obviously it's ok value for someone who uses it a lot).
Adobe Premiere Elements right now is downloadable on sale for $60 USD (not subscription! yay!)
Adobe Premiere Elements 2018 (Download) 65281748 B&H Photo Video
12-01-2017, 02:09 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Adobe Premiere Elements right now is downloadable on sale for $60 USD (not subscription! yay!)
Adobe Premiere Elements 2018 (Download) 65281748 B&H Photo Video
Ah interesting, very good! I think to own LR or PS outright its very pricey no? How does this all work if you're a subscriber to LR and PS and use CC etc and then installed Elements by way of this purchase, it doesn't get all messy right? Does adobe try and bully you to a later version of Elements that you don't have, even perhaps auto update and then all of a sudden its charging you more for a later version of elements than you have purchased? I'm so cynical lol...

12-01-2017, 02:19 AM   #23
Veteran Member

How does this all work if you're a subscriber to LR and PS and use CC etc and then installed Elements by way of this purchase, it doesn't get all messy right? Does adobe try and bully you to a later version of Elements that you don't have, even perhaps auto update and then all of a sudden its charging you more for a later version of elements than you have purchased?
Once you subscribe, they will hunt you for life, yes!
12-01-2017, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah interesting, very good! I think to own LR or PS outright its very pricey no? How does this all work if you're a subscriber to LR and PS and use CC etc and then installed Elements by way of this purchase, it doesn't get all messy right?
Currently LR and PS is no longer available for purchase; only subscription and you pay per month. There are different plans and prices for individuals, students and educators, business, or schools/universities. You can subscribe to just one app or their whole suite of apps. If you pre-pay for a year you get the best price. If you commit to one year, but pay monthly, you get the best monthly price. If you pay month to month, you pay the most.

The carrot is that you will always have the latest version. But because of their marketshare, when Adobe went to a subscription base, they've made record profits. Too many addicts like me.

Adobe, however is too greedy and wants every potential way of making money. So they still offer their entry-level Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements as an outright purchase. It will not interfere with any other Adobe software you might have. The only caveat is that about once a month, it seems like you must be online so they can invisibly verify that you are the authorized user of their app. Naive pirates get disabled while clever pirates get away with it at the expense for the rest of us.

Why does Adobe sell Elements outright? Because they assume you will eventually outgrow it and the upgrade is CC. But based on your situation, I think Premiere Elements makes the most sense and at worse, you'll master it and then be ready for Premiere CC.
12-01-2017, 03:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

to be honest, i'm not such a fan of their monthly billing schedule. Yes, you always have the latest features, but if you only occasionally use it & do make use of some of the pro features, a one time purchase of something may be worth it. But a monthly fee may simply not be worth it.
It is a personal balance to make & a bit sad that the option of a one time purchase is gone.

They have the right to optimize their revenues by doing this & for some people this may be even in their benefit, but for others it will not.

Luckily we have also have the right to look elsewhere first.
Which i would do in your case.
12-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
sad that the option of a one time purchase is gone.
Agreed, but LR/PS and Premiere = subscription;

PS Elements & Premiere Elements = one time purchase.
12-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Currently LR and PS is no longer available for purchase; only subscription and you pay per month. There are different plans and prices for individuals, students and educators, business, or schools/universities. You can subscribe to just one app or their whole suite of apps. If you pre-pay for a year you get the best price. If you commit to one year, but pay monthly, you get the best monthly price. If you pay month to month, you pay the most.

The carrot is that you will always have the latest version. But because of their marketshare, when Adobe went to a subscription base, they've made record profits. Too many addicts like me.

Adobe, however is too greedy and wants every potential way of making money. So they still offer their entry-level Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements as an outright purchase. It will not interfere with any other Adobe software you might have. The only caveat is that about once a month, it seems like you must be online so they can invisibly verify that you are the authorized user of their app. Naive pirates get disabled while clever pirates get away with it at the expense for the rest of us.

Why does Adobe sell Elements outright? Because they assume you will eventually outgrow it and the upgrade is CC. But based on your situation, I think Premiere Elements makes the most sense and at worse, you'll master it and then be ready for Premiere CC.
Are you sure about that? I checked this very year I believe and I think there was an option to purchase both outright, LR seemed to be more reasonably priced but PS was still in the high hundreds if not low thousands to buy outright, so I went with subscription. I recall actually having a conversation with my wife about this very fact, I'm not even a heavy PS user but occasionally I do tend to pop in and use features that are omit from LR so in the end I went with subscription.

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
to be honest, i'm not such a fan of their monthly billing schedule. Yes, you always have the latest features, but if you only occasionally use it & do make use of some of the pro features, a one time purchase of something may be worth it. But a monthly fee may simply not be worth it.
It is a personal balance to make & a bit sad that the option of a one time purchase is gone.

They have the right to optimize their revenues by doing this & for some people this may be even in their benefit, but for others it will not.

Luckily we have also have the right to look elsewhere first.
Which i would do in your case.
Funny you should say that as last month or so I was thinking similarly. A few new editing programs (RawTherapee etc) really impressed me, however I discovered that because I am a LR/PS subscriber I am also entitled to Adobe Portfolio (which comes free with that subscription). As I am trying to set myself up as something more than a casual shooter that's actually quite an important selling point. For $14/month I get the editing tools and 'website', it's actually a great deal. I couldn't find a website on it's own for less than $14/month!
12-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you sure about that? I checked this very year I believe and I think there was an option to purchase both outright, LR seemed to be more reasonably priced but PS was still in the high hundreds if not low thousands to buy outright, so I went with subscription.
I could be wrong, but I am sure...at least for PS. It has been a long time since PS CS6 was sold, although it is possible that someone still had a new unsold copy. LR6 is still being sold and is sometimes called "classic" for around $150....so you're correct there. But since LR CC is out, which means Adobe probably will not release a LR7, and therefore it's just a matter of time before it disappears as a one time purchase.
12-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I could be wrong, but I am sure...at least for PS. It has been a long time since PS CS6 was sold, although it is possible that someone still had a new unsold copy. LR6 is still being sold and is sometimes called "classic" for around $150....so you're correct there. But since LR CC is out, which means Adobe probably will not release a LR7, and therefore it's just a matter of time before it disappears as a one time purchase.
I believe the version's I saw earlier this year were definitely official and sanctioned by Adobe (ie not a copy off a different seller), however they may well have been a few iterations behind what is currently available.

If I wasn't looking for a 'website like hosting place' to showcase my work (which by the way I am currently working on, hopefully have something complete by the end of the year) then I would be really tempted to own LR outright, and this Elements and look elsewhere for other software that might do what PS can do. LR for $150 I think is actually pretty reasonable, even if its not completely up to date. I wanted to try Luminar recently but the 14 day trial failed and $99 was too much to try, and although it comes with a 30 day guarantee I joined two of their fb groups where there were a lot of people struggling to get refunds, the support looks weak and the complaints pretty high, meh... may have just caught them on a bad week.
12-01-2017, 09:05 PM   #30
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something to trial?

I forgot you'd asked this question and meant to drop by and call you names, er provide some feedback on a program I picked up earlier this year.

I have the previous version of Cyberlink Director Suite so with Christmas approaching I'm receiving discount offer emails for their range of programs.

I've only used the program a small amount so I can't give you much honest feedback though if you want to check it out you can do a free trial as is the norm.

The details are here: Best Video Editing, Photo Editing, & Blu-ray Media Player | CyberLink You can buy Director Suite 6 outright or opt for a subscription.

Tas