Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2021, 05:16 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Ah apologies , you did say DNG earlier, I missed it.

I don't know what the answer is to be honest. I use DNG exclusively and process them in Silkypix DSPro or sometimes Adobe Camera raw. I have never seen that message, but then I never save as .png. Do you get the same result if you save as jpeg ?
Yes, same with jpeg.

02-02-2021, 05:46 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Yes, same with jpeg.
I can only suggest you check the colour management settings in the software, and ask on their forums for advice.

Hopefully someone else here has seen the issue also and can chip in too.
02-02-2021, 08:49 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I can only suggest you check the colour management settings in the software, and ask on their forums for advice.

Hopefully someone else here has seen the issue also and can chip in too.
I submitted the question to Acdsee and will report what they say about the implications of the message.

Update: after a couple of days Acdsee wrote to say they couldn't reproduce the message. I sent them a link to a file that produces it for me and will see if they reply.

Another update: Acdsee says that the profile isn't saved when exporting (saving as) PNG, but is with JPG, and they were correct. I had incorrectly thought I was receiving the warning message when saving to both formats. So it's just a limitation with their software that is producing the error when saving in PNG format.

Last edited by tibbitts; 02-10-2021 at 09:03 PM.
02-06-2021, 11:45 AM   #34

Another way to see PEF files in Windows 10

This is the most effective way that will enable to view PEF files using Windows 10. I also included instructions for DNG files.

1) There was an article in Petapixel.com that Microsoft released a FREE RAW image viewer Extension that works with Windows 10 Photos
that enable viewing of PEF files. It also support Nikon NEF files because I am both a NIKON and PENTAX camera user.
This is the article - Microsoft Releases Free RAW Image Viewer Extension for Windows 10

2) Go to the Microsoft Website - Get Raw Image Extension - Microsoft Store
Click the "GET" button and follow the instructions and the extension will be installed in Windows 10. Please read the system requirements
if your PC meet the required hardware and software specifications.

3) If you want to view DNG files, you will need to download Version 2.00 DNG Codec from this Softpedia website as it is no longer available from
any Adobe website. I have the DNG Codec from way back in 2015 and I tested the download from this Softpedia site and the site's DNG binary
file is the same as what I downloaded from the Adobe website in 2015.
Download website URL is: Download Adobe DNG Codec 2.0.0.0
The DNG Codec is Version 2.0.0.0 and has not been updated since I first downloaded it. There is no virus and when I compared the downloaded
DNG codec executable with my 2015 version, the 2 files are BINARY equal. I used open-source KDIF3 utility to compare the downloaded
DNG codec and my 2015 version.

I used Adobe DNG Converter to convert my Nikon V-LS 50 Scanner NEF files to DNG so it can be processed by CaptureOne and Exposure X6
software. Adobe DNG RAW converter is found in this URL - Adobe Digital Negative Converter .
Click "Windows: Adobe DNG converter" link to be re-directed to the Adobe site where the DNG covnerter is found.

3) If you have Windows 7 Picture Viewer, and you upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, you can still use Windows 7 Picture Viewer and it
also use the extension I mentioned in item 2 for you to also view PEF files. Uploaded are the 4 images rendered using "Windows 10 Photos"
and "Windows 7 Photo Viewer" for both Pentax PEF files and DNG files I converted from the original PEF files. All my PEF and DNG files use
the Adobe Color Standard and my Lenovo P32 monitor is also set to Adobe Color standard. The images I uploaded have been converted to
JPEG SRGB using Expossure X6 so people who view this post can see the real colors whether in Adobe or RGB calibrated montiors.

4) Uploaded images are:
4.1) Windows 10 Photos rendering a PEF file - file name is "#1Windows10_Photos_PEF.jpg"
4.2) Windows 7 Photo Viewer rendering a PEF file - file name is "#2Windows7_PhotoViewer_PEF.jpg"
4.3) Windows 10 Photos rendering a DNG file - file name is "#3Windows10_Photos_DNG.jpg"
4.4) Windows 7 Photo Viewer rendering a DNG file - file name is "#4Windows7_PhotoViewer_DNG.jpg"

Attached Images

02-06-2021, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by E1R2F3 Quote
This is the most effective way that will enable to view PEF files using Windows 10. I also included instructions for DNG files.
Helpful, but.....

If folk want to shoot in raw format (PEF or DNG) then they need to use a proper raw converter to process those images and save as an image file format

Using software that will allow one to view either the jpeg preview or the raw file rendered as a picture image is a pointless exercise. Raw files need to be processed.

My advice has always been.....if you want to process your raw files yourself then use a proper raw converter (Pentax DCU; Silkypix; Adobe Camera Raw; or many of the other free and pay-ware offerings. If you do not, then stick to using the jpeg output in-camera.

Raw files, rendered for viewing without proper processing are dull and unsharp.
02-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #36

Helpful, but.....

If folk want to shoot in raw format (PEF or DNG) then they need to use a proper raw converter to process those images and save as an image file format

Using software that will allow one to view either the jpeg preview or the raw file rendered as a picture image is a pointless exercise. Raw files need to be processed.

My advice has always been.....if you want to process your raw files yourself then use a proper raw converter (Pentax DCU; Silkypix; Adobe Camera Raw; or many of the other free and pay-ware offerings. If you do not, then stick to using the jpeg output in-camera.

Raw files, rendered for viewing without proper processing are dull and unsharp.
I use CaptureOne20 (perpetual license) to process (convert to 16-bit TIFF) both my PEF and NEF files (Nikon D3, D850 and Nikon V-LS 50 scanned images) to be further processed by Exposured X6
(perpetual license) to apply LUT profiles and other post-processing as I find Exposure X6 easier to obtain my desired results. CaptureOne20 gives the best color rendition and interpretation of the raw
files and will enable me to make minor adjustments and get the final result much quicker.

I would never go back to any paid Adobe photography software products because one pays tribute monthly or yearly for the use of their software, as if I am paying the Mafiosos. If Adobe want to get
my money, they better innovate their software on a yearly basis. I previously used the Nikon NX-D software but I still like the color interpretation of my NEF files by CaptureOne20. I only bought the
peprpetual license of CaptureOne20 when I first bought the Pextax K-1 Mark II in March of 2020.

When I first tested Silkypix, they can only process DNG files which to me degrade the the information stored in the PEF and NEF files and would cause me to have too much disk space required for
both my PEF and NEF files and also involve too much work for myself. Comparing CaptureOne20 and SilkyPix, CaptureOne20 beats SilkyPix in the interpretation of the raw files in color rendition.

I never heard of Pextax DCU when I bought my Pentax K-1 II and I like the better interpretation of the PEF and NEF files by CaptureOne20. I only downloaded Pextax DCU this Jaunary 2021 when I
compared the output of Pextax DCU and CaptureOne20 and published the results of my test.

My second post was just to give tips to people who just want to use a FREE utility to immediately view the raw files as there are many people in this forum having a tough time finding something that
can immediately open the files to take a look of what they have just captured from their Pentax cameras. I only knew about the free Microsoft photo extension this February 2021 and that was the
purpose of my second post. I WILL NEVER never shoot in JPEG as software improves on a yearly basis to give the better inrepretation of the RAW files and once shot in JPEG one can never recover
any badly exposed image.
02-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by E1R2F3 Quote
If Adobe want to get my money, they better innovate their software on a yearly basis.
Since I signed up they update about 4 times a year. One of which is a major upgrade.