Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2017, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also would recommend FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... which is free. It has many utilities that are handy.

12-04-2017, 07:19 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Here we go again.
Microsoft DOES NOT WRITE CODEC'S FOR CAMERA MANUFACTURES.
It is Ricoh's responsibility to provide CODEC's the last Codec for PEF file was written by HOYA.
What happened to PEF support in Windows. - PentaxForums.com
Window 10 natively supports PEF files (showing thumbnails) up to the K-5.

Why to the Microsoft camera packs for Window 7, 8 and 8.1 say they add support for certain Pentax models?
12-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #18
PDL
Pentaxian

There was a time when Manufactures supported their own codec's and had links at the Microsoft web site starting with Windows Vista and WIC (Windows Image Component). When - in the case of Pentax - Hoya released the codec for PEF files (still available at the Ricoh site) it supported the cameras listed in the previous posts.

With Windows 7 and 8.x Microsoft had the RAW camera codec pack, which they stopped supporting. Microsoft actually had a third party gather the various codecs from the manufacturers and put them into the RAW camera codec. For some reason both the third party and Microsoft stopped creating the codec pack. On my three Windows 10 devices (all running the current Fall Creators Update) do NOT show thumbnail previews, icons for my K-3II PEF files. I even had to go back to the 32 bit codec to get them to read my *ist Ds, K10D and K20D that I have on disk. Oh - and two of the three have been bare metal re-installs of Windows 10 (to the point where I had to reformat the C: drive in order to get Windows 10 back up and running due to hard drive failure, memory failure - not really Windows 10 OS issues) After reinstalling with nothing but the OS and connecting to external/NAS drives containing the original PEF files, Windows 10 did not see PEF or DNG files in explorer without the codec.

Ricoh does not supply a codex for K-3II PEF files or any "Newer" Pentax camera after they acquired Pentax from Hoya and I suspect they never will. Ricoh has left its RAW format up to Adobe and DNG PEF is abandonware on the Windows platform. The support for PEF files is Ricoh's responsibility and they have dropped the ball. Other manufacturers have dropped the ball too. Do a search for Canon, Nikon, Fuji etc. and you will find that codec's for later cameras are sorely missing.

To reiterate - Microsoft DOES NOT WRITE CODEC'S FOR CAMERA MANUFACTURES.

Last edited by PDL; 12-04-2017 at 10:49 PM. Reason: wording
01-31-2021, 11:23 AM   #19

Comparing Faststone PEF Viewer & Ricoh Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5 For Windows

Comparing the Faststone PEF Viewer and the Ricoh Digital Camera Utility 5 for Windows, I would say that the Ricoh Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5 for Windows renders the image better and as close as possible in color to what CaptureOne20 renders in my Adobe calibrated Lenovo P32 display tested today 01/31/2021. Test images are attached. The attached _IMG0050.jpg image is the SRGB converted image from the original PEF raw file captured in Adobe RGB color space.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo       
01-31-2021, 11:45 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducky13 Quote
Hi All,

I recently got myself a KP & have been shooting in RAW, but I can't open the PEF files on my Windows PC. I don't do any major post processing & hence don't own Photoshop or Lightroom. How can I open the PEF files on the Windows photo viewer? Is there a plugin that I can download or do I need a special program to view them? If the latter then could you please recommend one that's free?

Thanks,
Ducky
One that's "free" is the one that was included when you bought your KP, assuming you bought it new.

Otherwise there are free alternatives as others have mentioned; everyone has different preferences for free or fee-based software.

I like Faststone and have contributed to the developers. I use it often for browsing but definitely never now for raw conversion. At least for me it just doesn't seem to produce the same dynamic range as some other programs.
01-31-2021, 12:42 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by E1R2F3 Quote
The attached _IMG0050.jpg image is the SRGB converted image from the original PEF raw file captured in Adobe RGB color space.
A PEF, or any raw file for that matter, does not have a colour space. It is impossible to capture a raw image in a specific colour space like AdobeRGB.
02-01-2021, 10:22 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
A PEF, or any raw file for that matter, does not have a colour space. It is impossible to capture a raw image in a specific colour space like AdobeRGB.
Maybe because I haven't done any serious printing (as in ordering prints) for a decade or two, I haven't thought that much about this, but I have some new software that, when I edit a Pentax DNG, issues a warning that it "can't preserve the embedded color profile" when saving to a format like PNG. I've not seen this from any other software. So I ran Imagemagick to try to see if there was any embedded color information in the DNG, and found "sRGB." I don't know if that refers to a thumbnail or ... well in any case, it seems like somewhere in the raw file there's some color profile information.

02-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
" I don't know if that refers to a thumbnail or ... well in any case, it seems like somewhere in the raw file there's some color profile information.
Within every raw file there is a preview image. This image has been developed/produced from the raw data and will be dependent on the camera/setting used. It could be a jpeg or tiff. It could have a sRGB or AdobeRGB colour space. This is the image you see on your lcd screen after to capture an image in raw format.

Raw files themselves are not image files, and as such have no colour space. Image files like jpeg and tiff have colour spaces.
02-01-2021, 02:18 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Within every raw file there is a preview image. This image has been developed/produced from the raw data and will be dependent on the camera/setting used. It could be a jpeg or tiff. It could have a sRGB or AdobeRGB colour space. This is the image you see on your lcd screen after to capture an image in raw format.

Raw files themselves are not image files, and as such have no colour space. Image files like jpeg and tiff have colour spaces.
So it might be that the preview image, which I referred to as a thumbnail, could be what the software is referring to as the color profile that can't be preserved, although ever since I wrote that, the last few images I've saved haven't generated any error messages.
02-02-2021, 12:29 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So it might be that the preview image, which I referred to as a thumbnail, could be what the software is referring to as the color profile that can't be preserved
What software are you using ?
02-02-2021, 08:17 AM   #26
Pentaxian

What software are you using ?
Acdsee Editor, v11.
02-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducky13 Quote
Hi All,

I recently got myself a KP & have been shooting in RAW, but I can't open the PEF files on my Windows PC. I don't do any major post processing & hence don't own Photoshop or Lightroom. How can I open the PEF files on the Windows photo viewer? Is there a plugin that I can download or do I need a special program to view them? If the latter then could you please recommend one that's free?

Thanks,
Ducky
The CD that came with your camera does have software on it that will unscramble the raw files from your camera. It won't make Windows Photo Viewer work, but it will let you brows your PEF files.
02-02-2021, 01:12 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Acdsee Editor, v11.
I have no experience of this software. Does it say it is compatible with PEF files ?
02-02-2021, 01:43 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I have no experience of this software. Does it say it is compatible with PEF files ?
I use DNG, but it's still raw. No other software I have produces that message when saving/exporting from raw. Anyway I just checked and yes it can open a PEF, and when I save/export to PNG.... I do get the same message about not being able to save the color profile.
02-02-2021, 05:07 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use DNG, but it's still raw. No other software I have produces that message when saving/exporting from raw. Anyway I just checked and yes it can open a PEF, and when I save/export to PNG.... I do get the same message about not being able to save the color profile.
Ah apologies , you did say DNG earlier, I missed it.

I don't know what the answer is to be honest. I use DNG exclusively and process them in Silkypix DSPro or sometimes Adobe Camera raw. I have never seen that message, but then I never save as .png. Do you get the same result if you save as jpeg ?