Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2017, 01:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
MacBook Pro 13 mid 2017

Dear Pentaxians,

I have a chance to get Macbook pro 13 mid 2017 base model for occasional price and the question is how will it work as a mobile photos editing workstation. It has the retina display so I believe the colors and sharpness is excellent, just curious if 13 isn't too small. Does any of you guys has experience in working with this computer ? Would be great to hear your opinions.

12-13-2017, 01:29 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a bigger fan of 15" laptops because the extra screen real estate just makes everything easier. That said, 13" should still be perfectly usable if you can grow accustomed to it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-13-2017, 01:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gzub Quote
I have a chance to get Macbook pro 13 mid 2017 base model for occasional price and the question is how will it work as a mobile photos editing workstation. It has the retina display so I believe the colors and sharpness is excellent, just curious if 13 isn't too small. Does any of you guys has experience in working with this computer ?
I currently use a MacBook Pro 13 with a retina display and as a laptop, I find the 13.3-inch (2560 x 1600) display a good compromise between size and functionality. I essentially carry it between work and home and have done a lot of photo editing on it. If I don't need portability, I use both a 27" iMac or the 21.5" iMac with a dual monitor.

The question is how mobile do you need? If I really wanted mobile, I'd opt for the Retina display 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2732 x 2048 resolution @ 264 ppi) with an Apple Pencil and Affinity Photo. Procreate is also a pretty amazing digital illustration app too. You can get a keyboard/case for that as well.
12-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a non-retinal display 2012 MacBook Pro 13 for editing on the road. At home I use a 27" BENQ- monitor. The correlation between the two calibrated monitors is very good.

Thus, for an initial sorting and non-professional stuff, the 13" monitor is fine. Two other additions to the laptop that makes processing possible: 1) 16 GB of ram and 2) an SSD drive. The latter is essential for running Photoshop...

12-13-2017, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Dear Pentaxians,

I have a chance to get Macbook pro 13 mid 2017 base model for occasional price and the question is how will it work as a mobile photos editing workstation. It has the retina display so I believe the colors and sharpness is excellent, just curious if 13 isn't too small. Does any of you guys has experience in working with this computer ? Would be great to hear your opinions.
The traditional thing to do since forever on Macs, which I will be doing shortly, is to get a really good monitor (4k monitor these days) for your workspace and keep your tools etc. on the laptop so you can use the whole 4k display as workspace.

Then you have a nice portable laptop for going places and viewing images in the field, and a killer display for your serious work.
12-13-2017, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The traditional thing to do since forever on Macs, which I will be doing shortly, is to get a really good monitor (4k monitor these days) for your workspace and keep your tools etc. on the laptop so you can use the whole 4k display as workspace.

Then you have a nice portable laptop for going places and viewing images in the field, and a killer display for your serious work.
Actually that is the plan to do. Mobile workstation which I can carry around whenever I need it and to connect it to the extra 4K monitor for some extra editing.
12-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #7

Just started using a 2017 13" Macbook Pro with my work. I was a bit worried about the screen size because I previously had a 15" 2011 model. What I'd say is that if you have good eyes, I wouldn't worry about the physical size, because the resolution is pretty high (2560 x 1600), which gives you a lot of screen space as long as you don't mind small icons and text. I have also found it to be pretty fast - many times faster than my previous machine - though I haven't really tried any heavy editing yet. I'd get 16GB of RAM if you can afford it though - that's the main thing that will hold you back when editing in Photoshop.
12-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dear Pentaxians,

I'm using a MacBook Air with 13" display at 1440x900. For special use, I do have a 27" Dell monitor, but my wife has "adopted" it right now. I would have no problem plugging it in and using it. For normal work, not perhaps professional work, the 24bit built in display seems adequate.

12-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Would be great to hear your opinions.
Make sure it has the max RAM (16GB). You will need it. I edited on a 13" (Mid 2012 Macbook or 2010 I am not sure which) for almost a year before I bought a 15" Macbook Pro for myself. I bought the base early model 13" in 2015 with 4GB RAM and a 500GB HD. The reason I got the earlier model was the user upgradability. I immediately installed the max RAM of 16GB and a 256GB SSD. The machine became a beast after the upgrade. BTW Apple indicated the max RAM to be 8GB but the company that I buy my RAM from (since 1995) told me that they had tested 16GB and it worked fine (DataMemorySystems.com - Computer Memory Upgrades, PC Memory, Apple Memory, Server Memory, Flash Memory, Hard Drives and More). The 13" is still running strong with no issues. I gave it to my wife to use and she loves it. It is my backup just in case my 15" Macbook Pro goes down for some reason.
12-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #10
Pentaxian

For myself, if I was buying a laptop, I would go for the 13 inch and get a decent large monitor for at home editing. The 13 inch is more portable and for me anyhow, 15 inches is still too small a monitor to do all my editing on. Everybody's preferences are different. I do use an iPad for travel and mobile editing but still go to my Mac Mini and 23 inch monitor as soon as I get home.
12-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I went from a 17" Dell laptop (it died 1 month out of warranty and Dell wouldn't help, so bye bye Dell) to a 16 GB ram, 13" MacBook Pro (should have gotten the 15"), and I'm happy with it, but it did take a fair bit of time to adjust to the smaller screen. I'm giving myself the 27" iMac for Christmas.