Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LR Loupe mode slow, Auto-advance, 5-6 second 'Loading...' times.

I posted this question direct to Adobe forums, I'm linking and posting here also in case someone can shed any light on the subject.

Link to question; Loupe Mode, viewing imports, Auto-advance and '... |*Adobe Community

The Question;

"I'm using LR for the first time from a 'cull' perspective, that is to flag which pics to use and which to dump. I followed a very nice simple tutorial explaining how to do this, I import the pictures, I then hit 'e' for loupe mode, get rid of the side and bottom bars if I like (F6-F8) and then hit 'P' if I want to keep the pic and 'X' to mark as rejected. Afterwards I can then 'Delete Rejected Photos', cool.

My issue is, once I import, hit 'e' and start Loupe mode, it's just taking too long after hitting x or p to load the next image. Sometimes if I leave it for 1min or so, then the next 2-3 images materialize quickly, but then each subsequent image thereafter is sluggish to load. I'm waiting around 5-6 seconds for the image to finish 'loading...', this from Library mode...

At this stage I'm not sure if he volume of imported files matter. In this example i's an import of 243 raw DNG files taken from Pentax, they are large 36mp files taken from the K-1.

I'm asking the community if there is something I need to do to enhance this experience. If after importing I need to do another task (even if it means I walk away for 5mins while it works, make a coffee time etc) that then might mean as I am going through this culling process it is speedier and less painful to wait.

For sure my PC is no latest and greatest, we can talk specs and troubleshoot further if we need to, right now I just wondered if I needed a box checked somewhere that did something after the import so that the editing and culling process could be enhanced.

Cheers,

Eddy (Bruce)"

01-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What size previews are you building at import? Sounds as if Lightroom is building the previews on the fly which takes time. I build 1:1 previews on import. Which takes a long time but then when I am culling things move much faster because the previews are already built.
01-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The wait time you are experiencing has to do with the size or preview that was rendered when you imported the photos.

Choices are Minimal, Standard, 1:1 - plus some others but these are the main three.

The default is Minimal, which it just loads the JPG preview with the default JPG rendering. Standard you can set in the preferences to be a certain size, usually it is recommended to make this slightly larger than the size of your largest monitor. 1:1 is just that 100% of the original.

My guess is you have Minimal selected as the default preview. In loupe view the display size LR requires is probably bigger than the Minimal size, hence LR renders a Standard preview. This all takes time for LR too do the rendering.

As this seems to be an issue for you I suggest you do one of two things:
  1. Have LR render Standard previews on import, or
  2. From the menus get LR to render Standard previews for a selection of photos.

Regards

Chris
01-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What size previews are you building at import? Sounds as if Lightroom is building the previews on the fly which takes time. I build 1:1 previews on import. Which takes a long time but then when I am culling things move much faster because the previews are already built.
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
The wait time you are experiencing has to do with the size or preview that was rendered when you imported the photos.

Choices are Minimal, Standard, 1:1 - plus some others but these are the main three.

The default is Minimal, which it just loads the JPG preview with the default JPG rendering. Standard you can set in the preferences to be a certain size, usually it is recommended to make this slightly larger than the size of your largest monitor. 1:1 is just that 100% of the original.

My guess is you have Minimal selected as the default preview. In loupe view the display size LR requires is probably bigger than the Minimal size, hence LR renders a Standard preview. This all takes time for LR too do the rendering.

As this seems to be an issue for you I suggest you do one of two things:
  1. Have LR render Standard previews on import, or
  2. From the menus get LR to render Standard previews for a selection of photos.

Regards

Chris
Yep thanks lads, this is what the answer was given at Adobe also, I didn't even know about the Build Preview 1:1 option, fantastic looks to be working like a charm now