Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Linux color calibration dilemma - suggestions?

I bought a Spyder 3 Pro the other day. One of my machines (the one I use most) is a laptop that runs Fedora Core 9 and Windows XP under VMWare/VirtualBox - just so I can use photo-editing programs.

It turns out that the Spyder 3 hardware is not compatible with Linux - or rather there is no published API. (Spyder 2 DOES run on Linux though) So.. .I figured I would use the Spyder with VMWare/Windows. Doesn't work because VMWare doesn't have advanced enough video drivers.

After that, I moved from VMWare to VirtualBox. This worked in a sense. The spyder ran through the calibration routine just fine but the before and after shows no change - literally.

So I save the icm and copy it over to linux and try and apply it to the video driver on Xwindows - still don't notice a change. Is there an easy way to test the profile in linux?

Not sure what to do at this point. Should I return the Spyder? (I'm upset anyways that they stated outright that they have no interest in supporting Linux) Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Frank.

08-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frank Fletcher Quote
I bought a Spyder 3 Pro the other day. One of my machines (the one I use most) is a laptop that runs Fedora Core 9 and Windows XP under VMWare/VirtualBox - just so I can use photo-editing programs.

It turns out that the Spyder 3 hardware is not compatible with Linux - or rather there is no published API. (Spyder 2 DOES run on Linux though) So.. .I figured I would use the Spyder with VMWare/Windows. Doesn't work because VMWare doesn't have advanced enough video drivers.

After that, I moved from VMWare to VirtualBox. This worked in a sense. The spyder ran through the calibration routine just fine but the before and after shows no change - literally.

So I save the icm and copy it over to linux and try and apply it to the video driver on Xwindows - still don't notice a change. Is there an easy way to test the profile in linux?

Not sure what to do at this point. Should I return the Spyder? (I'm upset anyways that they stated outright that they have no interest in supporting Linux) Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Frank.
Linux doesn't support a lot of things of interest to photographers, such as colour profiles and 16bit image processing.
Were I you, I would set up a dual boot and install Windows XP Pro, rather than hacking around with a virtual environment.
FYI, laptop screens are notoriously bad for image editing.
08-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Inactive Account

It turns out that the Spyder 3 hardware is not compatible with Linux - or rather there is no published API. (Spyder 2 DOES run on Linux though)

Should I return the Spyder? (I'm upset anyways that they stated outright that they have no interest in supporting Linux)
Do you absolutely need any of the additional features of Spyder3? Probably not, as even Datacolor recognizes it and continues to sell Spyder2 Express.
Moreover, third-party software also does not support many of its features, for example Eizo's Color Navigator.

So yes, return it and buy cheaply a Spyder2 device, even second hand and without bundled software.
For how to use it effectively, refer to this entry in the Forum's Knowledge Base.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Linux doesn't support a lot of things of interest to photographers, such as colour profiles and 16bit image processing.
This is false.
Instead of spreading FUD please educate yourself by reviewing the Knowledge Base at the link posted above.

QuoteQuote:
Were I you, I would set up a dual boot and install Windows XP Pro
Another bad piece of advice.
Why should anybody (especially a Unix user) use a 9-years old 32-bit OS lacking vital features of a modern OS (e.g. package management)?
Just because MS cannot come with something better?

Linux is more than adequate for an (advanced) amateur.
For professionals there is another flavor of Unix available -- MacOS.

QuoteQuote:
Another over-generalization, typical for a Windows user.
I know of professional photographers using Macbook Pros.
The Thinkpad W700 has been created specifically for photographers.
08-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zaurus Quote
This is false.
Instead of spreading FUD please educate yourself by reviewing the Knowledge Base at the link posted above.

Another bad piece of advice.
Why should anybody (especially a Unix user) use a 9-years old 32-bit OS lacking vital features of a modern OS (e.g. package management)?
Just because MS cannot come with something better?

Linux is more than adequate for an (advanced) amateur.
For professionals there is another flavor of Unix available -- MacOS.

Another over-generalization, typical for a Windows user.
I know of professional photographers using Macbook Pros.
The Thinkpad W700 has been created specifically for photographers.
Zaurus, that post was unnecessarily rude, and I really don't believe you do your chosen cause any favours by responding to people in such a way.

I'm not going to respond to the points you made, even the ones I believe are incorrect as I don't want to be labelled as "spreading FUD", or insulted for overgeneralising.

If you believe other people are incorrect, it would be far better for your cause to correct them politely.

08-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for replying!

All of the RAW converters on linux support 16 bit processing - Bibble Pro, Raw Therapee, LightZone, (and of course UFraw, dcraw, etc). You are correct though, in that Gimp is lacking in many features that I need.

Were I you, I would set up a dual boot and install Windows XP Pro, rather than hacking around with a virtual environment.
I've obviously considered this... but it truly is a pain to have to exclusively boot up Windows when everything else I do is Linux based.

I'm aware of this as well, but 90% of my time is away from my home computer. Also, at the end of a day of shooting (I'm often travelling to shoot), I want to review my photos and see what potential they have.
08-31-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried this?

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6635
08-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

vmware 6.5 (in beta) is supposed to support directx9 at least, not sure if working in full screen would allow it to mess with X though. Might get the software working and the beta is free to try for 30 days, VMware Workstation 6.5 Beta Program - VMware
09-01-2008, 12:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the link Clicker. I just purchased the Spyder Pro 2 along with a PrintFix printer calibrator (hardware version) for $75. that should work with Linux according to what I've read. I'm going to return the original Spyder Pro 3 ... which I purchased at full retail price ($169). I was unhappy to return to Spyder as a company because of their lack of support, but the price was right for both hardware calibrators.

Thanks, Jamonation. I didn't know that. I'll try it out. So far, VBox is working well though it doesn't seem as polished as VMWare so far.

Frank.

09-01-2008, 05:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks, Jamonation. I didn't know that. I'll try it out. So far, VBox is working well though it doesn't seem as polished as VMWare so far.
Sun bought virtualbox, but it's FOSS, whereas VMware isn't so I made the switch a few months ago too and converted all my virtual machines
09-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
Forum Member

Hello Frank, I am in the same situation as yourself. I'm running a linux environment with a windows xp guest through vmware. I thought I could calibrate in XP, but ran into the same video driver problem.

1. Did you find a solution with your new setup?
2. What calibration software are you using? Argyll CMS?
3. If we apply a profile to the Linux environment will the Window XP guest be calibrated as well (to use Photoshop)?

Thanks in advance
09-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #11

I am working under linux (fedora 8) and I have just bought a Spyder2Express that works perfectly with ArgyllCMS.

I have used this protocol proposed for Ubuntu : Link. This works great on Fedora.

Unfortunately this is in French so I can try (if I have the time) to translate that if someone is interested
09-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow. I thought this thread was dead.

My new Spyder2Pro hasn't arrived in the mail yet so I can't tell you how it worked.

I was able to convert my vmware/XP to virtualbox/XP and run the colorvision software successfully. I then copied that information directly to my host OS (FC9). Then I was able to install using "dispwin <myprofile.icm>" (argyll).

So yes, I got it to work but it's a pain. I'm not happy with Colorvision for not supporting anything but MAC/WIN but I can sort of understand it. I'm also not too happy with vmware for having a deficient graphics driver.

imadethis: #3 ... well theoretically if you apply the profile to the LUT in linux, it will effect the Windows output. I've watched the change happen as I apply the LUT, so I know windows is being effected. The caveat is ... just how is it being effected? Does the windows graphics driver "pollute" the output?

My suggestion is this - make sure no profile is used in your windows system, then run the profiler. Copy the profile to your linux box. Remove the profile from the driver on windows and finally use the linux utility (I use argyll) to load the profile into the Look Up Table.

Pain huh?

It should work. Let me know.
09-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just successfully created a profile using a Sypder2Express on Linux, no Windows needed. ArgyllCMS really worked well, and I think probably with higher quality than the software that came with the S2E would have done on WIndows.

Also, to add to the list of ways to edit and print 16-bit images, don't forget cinepaint with the gutenprint plugin.
09-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
Inactive Account

OK, I'll give a last try and spell it out as clear as I can.

I have the Spyder2 calibration device.
Using it, I calibrated my two Eizo monitors (L887 and L685) under both openSUSE and Ubuntu Linux.

The result of the calibration under Linux is vastly superior to the one performed under MacOS 10.5 using the "Express" and "Pro" versions of the bundled Datacolor software (yes, I have a Mac, too).

So stop this insanity with creating profiles under "Windoze" and copying over, or, using a virtual machine etc.

Refer to my post above, go to the attached link in the knowledge base and follow the directions.
It is as simple as that.

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
Zaurus, that post was unnecessarily rude
cpopham, I've been participating in and moderating Internet forums since 1994 and your attempt to instruct me and redefine what netiquette is pathetic.
Either you participate constructively and on topic, or else shut up and go fill the gaping holes in your computer-related knowledge.
Start with the FAQ on how to participate in forums.
09-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Zaurus - thank you for your information. I'm looking forward to receiving my Spyder2 in the mail soon so that I can do as you suggest. For the fun of it, I will also try and compare the Datacolor profiles with the one ArgyllCMS creates.

My last posting was for those who have already been suckered into purchasing the Spyder3 unit with no recourse to return the product due to it's lack of functionality with Linux. I was in this position but I was able to return the product. As mentioned, I'm waiting for my Spyder2 in the mail.