Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tips on portrait retouching?

Hey all, long time no see (sorry, life has been... busy).

Photo in question: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I shot with a model on Saturday, and she wasn't happy with the size of her pores on her cheeks in the photos. I've tried frequency separation (I end up smudging so much it looks just like the 'beauty filter' photo she sent me), and an inverted high-pass filter (I'm not sure it does enough), and the healing brush tool (which just makes her cheeks look weird).

I've scoured my postprocessing books, skimmed Amazon's options, looked on YouTube and Lynda, and I haven't found an answer three days in to this endeavour, help? I want to share about half a dozen of these shots, so I really need to learn how to do this.

Raw photo if you'd like to take a crack at it: Dropbox - Headshot.dng

01-16-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
My Take

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Tips on portrait retouching?
Just basic skin softening technique, localised brush, reduce clarity and increase both sharpness and noise.

I think as you point out, with all retouching work the trick is not to over do it. So here the texture is left in but is not rendered as so prominent. I just did this quickly from the jpeg image, as the dropbox link didn't work for me.

So this is just quick and dirty version to give you the idea, what do you think. I'm sure with more time and a raw file the overall effect could be made to look much better.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 01-16-2018 at 02:52 PM.
01-16-2018, 02:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Just basic skin softening technique, localised brush, reduce clarity and increase both sharpness and noise.
I'm not sure I get this. You mean you reduce Clarity and increase Noise Reduction on the part you want softened. But why increase sharpness? Wouldn't that make blemishes, pores stand out more?
Good work, though. Seems you did some desaturation on her cheeks as well

Sometimes its good to use a lens with lower sharpness and contrast to begin with. I can't really help with portrait PP, but Id like to learn as well
01-16-2018, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

so I really need to learn how to do this.
Here is a technique I used for a while

I eventually ended up getting Perfectly Clear to make the retouching faster and to have more control.

01-16-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kerrowdown just beat me to it! Same technique; local adjustment brush in Camera Raw taking down the clarity. This is rough and ready with the DNG file, I'm sure that you could do better with a little more time.

01-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We ended up agreeing on a high-pass filter + making the eyes pop more with some selective adjustments, we're both really happy with the result:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

---------- Post added 01-16-18 at 02:00 PM ----------

Thanks y'all for all the input!
01-16-2018, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You mean you reduce Clarity and increase Noise Reduction on the part you want softened
Yep.

But why increase sharpness? Wouldn't that make blemishes, pores stand out more?
It offsets the clarity reduction slightly.

Seems you did some desaturation on her cheeks as well
No, the combination of this technique tends to do that, dependant on the flow and density of your application of the brush.

01-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for the details, Kerrowdown!
We ended up agreeing on a high-pass filter + making the eyes pop
If you are using PS you can easily do some blemish removal with the Healing Brush. Lightroom has this function, as well. You just click on every scar, blemish, pimple, whatever and usually it is automatically fixed. Sometimes you have to fiddle a bit more with opacity or choosing a different source. You should really zoom in when doing this work. This takes some time to do for everything, but it goes a long way!
01-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the details, Kerrowdown!
Yw.
01-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #10

Retouching

Brought down the highlights generally to reduce the harshness on the face and cheeks globally then local brush with a tad reduced sharpness and reduced clarity, then spot removal to remove any residual pores and blemishes. JPEG on here but link below to DNG on Dropbox

Dropbox - Headshot.dng
Attached Images

01-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #11
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to hear your model was happy with your solution.

I'm not a portrait person myself, but wanted to offer a version that focuses on evening out the skin tones overall so the bags are less obvious as well as the pores.

I also reset the black/white points and reduced the exposure on the hair and neck, finishing with some sharpening of the eyes and lips.

Tas
01-16-2018, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Soften pores by dodging with the dodge tool on 1% flow for both shadows and mid-tones.

Do that on a new layer and constantly compare the new layer to the original one so you don't overdo it. Unless you can still see pores, the image won't look real.
Attached Images

08-08-2021, 02:43 PM   #13

Hey all, long time no see (sorry, life has been... busy).

Photo in question: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I shot with a model on Saturday, and she wasn't happy with the size of her pores on her cheeks in the photos. I've tried frequency separation (I end up smudging so much it looks just like the 'beauty filter' photo she sent me), and an inverted high-pass filter (I'm not sure it does enough), and the healing brush tool (which just makes her cheeks look weird).

I've scoured my postprocessing books, skimmed Amazon's options, looked on YouTube and Lynda, and I haven't found an answer three days in to this endeavour, help? I want to share about half a dozen of these shots, so I really need to learn how to do this.

Raw photo if you'd like to take a crack at it: Dropbox - Headshot.dng
Is there anyone else here alive? I recently discovered Photoshop, but I don't know where to start. Can you give me any tips?
08-08-2021, 02:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Donna and welcome.
If you're hoping to get some specific advice, then best would be to start a thread with a question.
I have found for both Photoshop and Lightroom that one of the best places to start is Youtube. There are many people who post very helpful tutorial on Youtube.
Kind regards,
Mark
08-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by DonnaFernando Quote
Is there anyone else here alive? I recently discovered Photoshop, but I don't know where to start. Can you give me any tips?
Wow, hi, how did you stumble across such an old thread? Photoshop is such a cool thing, now you can "play" with details as much as you like. The main thing is not to go overboard, and there are a lot of tips on how to use some tools not for their intended purpose, but get a great result. And nowadays there are a lot of services that do it, so it doesn't take you too much time. I use retouching services sometimes if i have lazy vibes, haha. I love photography, but it's hard to find the strength to become a pro at retouching. It takes talent and savvy.