Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I can understand it, opencl is a library that can be used to offload processing from a computer's CPU to the GPU (video card processor). Since GPU processors can be many times faster than CPUs, this is a win, especially for intensive video processing found in digital photo post-processing. But the program has to be written with opencl in mind so I do not think you can just have opencl on your system and expect everything to automatically use it.

01-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #47
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Your pricing on your video card is 50 more in the Ryzen build. I would go with the Ryzen since it appears to be a monster at multi- threaded tasks, and should be good for gaming also.

Spend the extra money on a Gold or Platinum rated Power Supply, that will save you in the long run electricity cost-wise and is the weakest point in most peoples build. When I was running 2 AMD cards I would crash playing Bioshock Infinite when things got tough, and that was with a Silver rated 750Watt PS. Now running an 850 Platinum, but with a single 480 instead of dual 7950s.

More cooling with filters and upgrade to Windows 10 Professional. Those are the things I see.
01-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Do you think AMD and Intel will be updating their previous processor designs to address the Spectre and Meltdown bugs? Or, are they going to leave it to the operating system to work around them?
01-28-2018, 09:36 PM   #49
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Both AMD and Intel have said that they will change the design of their systems to mitigate Spectre and Meltdown. However, the new chips will not be available until 3rd or 4th quarter of 2018 and they will most likely be higher priced than current designs.
Remember, Meltdown is a set of bugs that would mostly effect multiuser systems i.e. servers. Spectre is different but still not all that easy to do on a isolated end user device.

01-29-2018, 12:07 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.My main desktop recently crashed.

Does anyone know of a good place that I could hire to build me a new one? I edit videos too so I suppose I'd need a fairly well equipped unit.
01-29-2018, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
.My main desktop recently crashed.

Does anyone know of a good place that I could hire to build me a new one? I edit videos too so I suppose I'd need a fairly well equipped unit.
A lot of local shops will do a build if you supply the components or will bring in the components for about the same cost as they buy in bulk which individuals do not. To be honest, my recent build was done by a local shop as the charge to put the system together (I supplied the top of the lilne case and GOLD power supply from my previous machine) was $50. I have built a number of machines myself over the years, but that was cheap at the price in my opinion.