Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2018, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thinking about building a PC in the summer - what do you think of these configs?

My 21.5" iMac is coming up to 6 years of use and it due for retirement based on my past experience. I'm toying with the idea of building a PC specifically for Capture One. Here are two builds I came up with on PC Part Picker.

The first is built around an AMD Ryzen 7.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($345.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - X370 SLI PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($259.89 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus - PCE-AC55BT B1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.19 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1219.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-25 23:13 EST-0500

This next one is built around an i7-8700.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($378.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($21.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-4000 Memory ($274.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($206.53 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG - WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($49.20 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus - PCE-AC55BT B1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1366.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-25 23:14 EST-0500

How would you change these builds if they were yours? Would you swap out the GPU? Different motherboard.

01-25-2018, 09:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Either is good in my eyes. However, there is no way I would be content with just one SSD hard drive. The drive listed would be fine for the operating system only, but you should think hard about how you are going to store your images.
01-25-2018, 10:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I think your choice is pragmatic, go by how much want to spend rather than what is greatest as of "now". I would have done the same. My suggestions is get one more hard drive. Anti-virus software slows your machine. Come up with a way so you do not have to run anti-virus s/w on that machine. There are few ways of doing it. Dedicate this machine for just photo editing, and do the web-browsing on different machine. Different machine could be a Virtual machine also.

Last edited by pentaxfall; 01-25-2018 at 10:41 PM.
01-25-2018, 11:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ahhh, hard drives! Yes.

My Capture One catalogs are on external USB drives. The internal SSD will only have the operating system and the Capture One program. Iím not a gamer so I donít need gigs and gigs of internal storage for programs. Maybe one day I can add an internal magnetic mechanical drive if USB is too slow.

01-25-2018, 11:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Note that you shouldn't compare the total prices as the same components (video card, power supply, ...) have different prices in your configurations. Also, the second configuration has an optical drive, whereas the first one does not. Many people forgo optical drives these days, but I can see why you'd still want one.

In general, it is not an ideal time to build a PC due to inflated memory prices and video card prices. Make sure you are not paying premiums for video cards in particular, as the mining craze has driven up prices to insane amounts.

Unless you are planning on a dual video card system, I'd say your power supply is over dimensioned. For what you have planned, a 650W unit would be just fine.

Consider not going for DDR4-4000 memory, as you may struggle to achieve that performance. Not all boards are capable of that. Even DDR4-3200 memory already represents an overclocking situation (which shouldn't be a problem, though).
01-26-2018, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
A couple of thoughts, if this is to be just for photo...if for other use cases too, some of the comments below might be irrelevant =):

I agree about overdimensioned power supply...remember that they need to use at least about half to reach good efficiency, while those CPUs + graphics card draws something like 200w together in "worst case" maths torture tests?, but maybe half that during the export part of photo processing..the rest of the components aren't too hungry so I'd go for something even lower more like 4-500w.

About the CPU, I guess it depends on if the software is properly multithreaded or not...if it is, ryzen gives better bang for the buck and performance usually, but if not there are lower-end intel CPUs with higher clocks that will save money while not being slower than the 8700. Also remember that the current meltdown security issues are making the intels a bit slower (5-30% is mentioned) than most benchmarks are currently showing (until updated), but how much slower depends on the workload and I don't know how much photo processing is going to be affected..

Also, I'm not sure if GPU is used a lot yet? Either way, there is a 30% price difference between the 1050 and 1050TI, and while RAM is being used, the GPU memory maybe not as much in photo processing (which is one large difference between ti and non-ti)? Also benchmarks show less difference between the two if going with cards that stick to the base TDP, so if going with the TI, make sure to pick one that has a higher tdp than the reference TI cards, otherwise that will prevent the card to be any faster than a regular 1050 (throttling due to power restrictions), or maybe there is some software allowing you to adjust the TDP ceiling for the card yourself. If going with the intel cpu perhaps skip the GPU and see if the built in graphics works good enough (I don't know if that software uses GPU or not, but if not a lot, the built in might do fine).

(Agree that memory could be overkill with higher clocks and maybe not worth the price increase?)

And a last part about the wifi...perhaps there are motherboards that are just a little bit more expensive but has wifi built in for a lower price and complexity in total? This card could be faster than some of those but depends on the use case if that's needed...

just my 2c =)

---------- Post added 01-26-2018 at 08:41 AM ----------

Oh, and one more thing, I think I read that AMD will release some APUs with ryzen cores (if not already available)...if GPU isn'd used a lot by the software, and since the AMD APUs have more beefed up graphics parts than the one built in into the intel CPUs, maybe that could be an option to reduce price further?
01-26-2018, 01:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Igor123 Quote
(I don't know if that software uses GPU or not, ...
Capture One does make use of GPUs through OpenCL.

Not all operations are boosted -- brushing is not, IIRC -- but processing of images definitely benefits.
01-26-2018, 03:10 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I would wait till the end of the year because of the Meltdown and Spectre CPU bugs in current Intel, AMD (,ARM,...) processors. Intel today annaunced a fix in the next gen 10nm Ice Lake processors for these bugs in thsi year.
The Meltdown and Spectre software fixes deployed by Microsoft, Apple, and Linux are slowing down the processor, so we need an in processor fix.
I would like to build a new PC in this year too.

01-26-2018, 03:55 AM   #9

Both configs are good, and agree with the previous comments, with just the following notes:
-agree with the overpowered PSU comment by others, and suggested power rating
-AMD processors aren't affected by Meltdown, only by Spectre, so shouldn't have as much of a performance hit
-does the graphics card make such a difference in your workflow? Since you're already putting high-end CPUs in your configs, and considering the currently [super] inflated prices of graphics cards, and that you're not doing gaming, it might be worth considering a cheap (50$) graphics card. The GPU mining craze should subside, and then you'll be able to buy a 1060 for less than the 1050ti on your list+the cheap GPU, if you feel the need. You can always check what usage your graphics card is really getting by using any one of the performance analyzers (including task manager) around
01-26-2018, 04:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

AMD doesn't affectid by Meltdown, but one of the two variants of the Spectre affects it.
01-26-2018, 06:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
I would wait till the end of the year because of the Meltdown and Spectre CPU bugs in current Intel, AMD (,ARM,...) processors. Intel today annaunced a fix in the next gen 10nm Ice Lake processors for these bugs in thsi year.
The Meltdown and Spectre software fixes deployed by Microsoft, Apple, and Linux are slowing down the processor, so we need an in processor fix.
I would like to build a new PC in this year too.
This, +1
If I had to buy a PC, I would buy a Ryzen, but it's not immune to Spectre so it would be a half-baked solution.
01-26-2018, 07:07 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Here's a few toughts in addition to the good suggestions given above.

For the Ryzen system, unless you're planning to agressively overclock the systme, you don't need to buy a third-party cooler. The one included with the CPU is already quite good. Same thing for the motherboard, you could go for a significantly cheaper B350 or even a A320 motherboard, the major differences between them being related to the available overclocking options and support of SLI... Unless absolutely needing the best performance, the Ryzen 1700X would be a much better value. The 0.2Ghz difference with the 1800x will not be noticeable outside of benchmarks, but the difference of 25% in price is...

Since you're not gaming, the 1050Ti isn't really needed. It's a good video card for a gamer on a budget, but actually cost too much due to the video card shortage. Its usual price is more around 150$... I would go for a cheaper video card or simply use the IGP with the Intel. No matter what, it's easy to change the video card in the future if the need arise.

Both systems should give you great performance for photo editing purpose.
01-26-2018, 07:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
IGOR123 raises an important question which is the extent to which any of the software we use (Photoshop, Darktable, GIMP, etc) is multithreaded.
If not then the fastest single processor will be the one to choose, if they are capable of multithreading then to what extent, 2 threads? 4 threads? multithreads?
Writing multithread software is not necessarily the easiest thing and there's little or no benefit to the developer/vendor in doing it.

So do forum members have any knowledge in this area?
01-26-2018, 08:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
IGOR123 raises an important question which is the extent to which any of the software we use (Photoshop, Darktable, GIMP, etc) is multithreaded.
If not then the fastest single processor will be the one to choose, if they are capable of multithreading then to what extent, 2 threads? 4 threads? multithreads?
Writing multithread software is not necessarily the easiest thing and there's little or no benefit to the developer/vendor in doing it.

So do forum members have any knowledge in this area?
OP talked about using Capture One. From what can be found on the web, this software use all available cores. So, I guess multithreading will trump CPU frequency, since it's usually what happens with well multithreaded applications. But since it also uses GPU acceleration, it's also not that clear at which point it begins to be more efficient to put more money on the GPU than the CPU... Phase one is only recommending at least 4 cores, which is met by almost any CPU today, and a fast GPU with 2GB of VRAM, without specifying what is their standard for a "fast GPU". Maybe OP should send email to Phase One to ask them more details about that. If they favor more a configuration like, let say 8+8 CPU with a low end GPU or a similarly priced 4+4 CPU with a higher end GPU... Unfortunately, not much information seems available about this.
01-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just built a Ryzen 12-core/NVidia 1060 6 GB system. 480 gig SSD. I am EXTREMELY happy with it.This is a tad hotter than yours but not that much more expensive. I think the slight extra money those three places might be something to consider. It makes photo processing pretty much instantaneous.

I'm also using the stock cooler which is fine even when 10% overclocked (which really isn't necessary if the software is using all cores so I usually don't bother unless gaming). I'd suggest putting the cooler money into upgrading the the three areas I mentioned.

I should add I do Monte Carlo modeling a lot where I might resample a model 10^7 times and the 12 cores make a HUGE difference over my previous AMD Phenom and Intel i-7 machines regardless of overclocking or not using the multicore capabilities in R.