Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2018, 11:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5,198
RawTherapee Crashes after Lens Profile Correction in LR applied.

Ok, I have a few software editing hitches, the first is RT;

- lets say I have taken a waterfall pic with the KP with PixelShift
- I want to then take the PS shot to LR and apply Lens Correction, lets say I used a DA15mm, lens correction applied, and now I Save/Export as a DNG.
- Try and use this saved DNG file (from LR) and open in RT and it crashes, every time...

If I don't apply the LR lens correction, RT works fine with the DNG and I can use its Motion Correction to assist with the frame, however upon saving the file from RT (tiff I think is the best it gives), I lose any chance of applying Lens Correction in LR, the drop down menu doesn't even give Pentax as an option no more

Anyone come across this hiccup?

Bruce


Last edited by BruceBanner; 01-27-2018 at 11:21 PM.
01-28-2018, 12:31 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,296
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Anyone come across this hiccup?
I am not a RT user, but this behavior does not surprise me. DNG is a bit short of being a universal open standard and it is somewhat unusual for a non-Adobe tool to be capable of opening an Adobe-generated DNG. At least that has been my (admittedly limited) experience. What I suspect is happening is that the lens correction applied by LR was saved in the XMP meta data and that RT is choking on that.

What happens if you attempt the same thing with a straight shot (no pixel-shift)?


Steve
01-28-2018, 12:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,044
Bruce - The following link may help:

DNG build-in lens correction support · Issue #4049 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

Jack
01-28-2018, 03:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,094
I think the better thing is to apply the lens profile in Raw Therapee as you are developing the file there. At least, that's what I do.

01-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
microlight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 1,594
My understanding is that DNG files themselves are not picture files but are effectively unprocessed data dumps from the sensor, which have to be interpreted as picture files by the raw developer software, and as such are the first part of the processing chain. So what I mean is that you’d do what you need to in one raw processor (RT) followed by finishing-off processes, rather than than trying to moving the image back into another raw processor (Lr), which is what you appear to be doing; you’re probably asking too much of the different software packages.

My process is to develop in Camera Raw (pretty much the same feature set as Lr) using the lens profiles, then finish off in Photoshop, followed by Faststone, NeatImage, whatever. With pixel shift, I develop in DCU5 and apply lens corrections first before exporting as TIFF, which I then import into Camera Raw - like Lr it won’t then apply camera profiles. But the profile correction has been applied before I get to that stage.

So in your situation Bruce, I’d apply the lens profile in RT and do the PS processing, then export as a TIFF (no data are lost) and continue the PP in Lr without wanting to apply more lens corrections, because you’ve already done that in RT.
01-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 965
Since RT can use the lens correction profile from LT I suggest you apply it in RT. Do you have any specific reason for not doing so?

Your lens correction in Lt (hopefully) won't change the raw
file

---------- Post added 01-28-18 at 12:23 PM ----------

Since RT can use the lens correction profile from LT I suggest you apply it in RT. Do you have any specific reason for not doing so?

Your lens correction in Lt (hopefully) won't change the raw file just save the settings metadata suggesting what profile to use. I can see it getting real complicated with pixelshift files as there should be four images in one dng container.

Rt shouldn't crash however. You should try file a bug.
01-28-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5,198
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am not a RT user, but this behavior does not surprise me. DNG is a bit short of being a universal open standard and it is somewhat unusual for a non-Adobe tool to be capable of opening an Adobe-generated DNG. At least that has been my (admittedly limited) experience. What I suspect is happening is that the lens correction applied by LR was saved in the XMP meta data and that RT is choking on that.

What happens if you attempt the same thing with a straight shot (no pixel-shift)?


Steve
Not tried lol, honestly I only visit RT currently for the PS (and ISO stuff) files.

After posting this I googled a little and can see quite a few posts where people have issues with DNG and RT, so at least it's not a 'bruce's machine being weird' thing (which is actually a very common occurrence to those that know me well

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Thanks Jack! I didn't know RT had lens correction, or at least didn't even think of it and try and hunt around the program for it...
Is the database as good as LR?

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the better thing is to apply the lens profile in Raw Therapee as you are developing the file there. At least, that's what I do.
Yep makes sense, didn't know it could, a workaround to be sure Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
My understanding is that DNG files themselves are not picture files but are effectively unprocessed data dumps from the sensor, which have to be interpreted as picture files by the raw developer software, and as such are the first part of the processing chain. So what I mean is that you’d do what you need to in one raw processor (RT) followed by finishing-off processes, rather than than trying to moving the image back into another raw processor (Lr), which is what you appear to be doing; you’re probably asking too much of the different software packages.

My process is to develop in Camera Raw (pretty much the same feature set as Lr) using the lens profiles, then finish off in Photoshop, followed by Faststone, NeatImage, whatever. With pixel shift, I develop in DCU5 and apply lens corrections first before exporting as TIFF, which I then import into Camera Raw - like Lr it won’t then apply camera profiles. But the profile correction has been applied before I get to that stage.

So in your situation Bruce, I’d apply the lens profile in RT and do the PS processing, then export as a TIFF (no data are lost) and continue the PP in Lr without wanting to apply more lens corrections, because you’ve already done that in RT.
Thanks microlight. I mean I've been kinda doing that, I've just been lacking the lens correction stuff, but most of the time I find it can be subtle changes anyway (I could not past a test easily on many of my shots if it had been applied etc, I would have to have taken a shot of a brick wall etc to really tell). I was also gonna ask if when losing the DNG format and taking on the TIFF whether that has somehow lost some editing maneuverability, but it appears not?

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Since RT can use the lens correction profile from LT I suggest you apply it in RT. Do you have any specific reason for not doing so?

Your lens correction in Lt (hopefully) won't change the raw
file

---------- Post added 01-28-18 at 12:23 PM ----------

Since RT can use the lens correction profile from LT I suggest you apply it in RT. Do you have any specific reason for not doing so?

Your lens correction in Lt (hopefully) won't change the raw file just save the settings metadata suggesting what profile to use. I can see it getting real complicated with pixelshift files as there should be four images in one dng container.

Rt shouldn't crash however. You should try file a bug.
Yeh my stupidity
01-28-2018, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
microlight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 1,594
Bruce; TIFF is a lossless format so that all data derived from the DNG (or PEF) development process is saved on a per-pixel basis. That’s why my K-3II DNGs are around 40Mb, but the pixel shift ones can be around 160Mb! As someone else said, it would be great if all DNGs from all software were mutually compatible, but life ain’t like that unfortunately.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
change, correction, correction in lr, crashes after lens, dng, file, lens, lens correction profile, lens profile correction, lr, lt, photography, photoshop, profile, rawtherapee crashes, reason, rt
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rawtherapee & Pixelshift Automatic Motion Correction, what does it do? BruceBanner Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 3 09-24-2017 12:58 PM
Pixelshift official support and class leading motion correction - RawTherapee 5.1 beholder3 Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 9 05-17-2017 12:03 PM
Rawtherapee profile for K-50 Zerv Pentax K-30 & K-50 46 03-28-2016 07:49 AM
Shadow correction applied to raw files? outsider Pentax K-5 21 10-18-2013 11:54 PM
Man dies after motorcycle crashes during helmet protest ride jogiba General Talk 53 07-11-2011 05:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:53 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top