Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
That's the problem for me in a nutshell.

There's no way to turn the cloud function off, and so that forces the user to either fight with inadequate cloud storage (doing unnecessary file management to keep below the limit) or pay Adobe even more, to reduce the pain. Once someone has, say, half a terabyte of photos there, moving them out is not something most people will do - and that's exactly what Adobe is hoping will happen. Increased subscription revenue, driven by the pain of inconvenience. Yay for vendor lock-in.

Adobe would like us to forget that there's a much easier option: saving photos to local storage, wherever we want, whenever we want, in whatever backup scheme we want, and only using cloud services when it makes sense.
I don't understand. CC comes with Classic in the Plans, and the only version of the Photography Plan without Classic is one with CC and 1TB of storage, which is obviously only for very heavy cloud users. So it doesn't force anyone to do anything. Just use the already-included Classic, which doesn't require any cloud storage. Classic is more capable than CC anyway, and for the large numbers of us that aren't gonna use the cloud much, if at all, it's business as usual. I dunno why anyone would care about CC if they don't use the cloud; just ignore it like one would have done with Lr Mobile.

02-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I don't understand. CC comes with Classic in the Plans, and the only version of the Photography Plan without Classic is one with CC and 1TB of storage, which is obviously only for very heavy cloud users. So it doesn't force anyone to do anything. Just use the already-included Classic, which doesn't require any cloud storage. Classic is more capable than CC anyway, and for the large numbers of us that aren't gonna use the cloud much, if at all, it's business as usual. I dunno why anyone would care about CC if they don't use the cloud; just ignore it like one would have done with Lr Mobile.
I have no problem with Lightroom Classic. I actually like the program a lot, and have used it extensively in the past year. But in my original post, earlier in the thread, I indicated that I don't believe Adobe is going to support both Classic and CC any longer than they have to. CC is clearly the future for Adobe, if for no other reason than that it's newer code, and easier to maintain. (I suspect, also, that the reason Adobe has had so much trouble speeding up Classic is because the code is legacy, and has a lot of cruft in it that can't be easily walked back.)

The big question, for me, is what Lightroom is going to be a year from now. If Adobe goes full-on cloud and kills Classic, I think that's a problem. I also think it's very possible.
02-03-2018, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote

And yeah, the USA badly needs an infrastructure plan for broadband in rural and other underserved areas a la the electrification push decades ago.
If the present attitude in the WH had existed back then, rural people would still be using battery operated radios and would be pumping water from wells by hand.
02-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
I have no problem with Lightroom Classic. I actually like the program a lot, and have used it extensively in the past year. But in my original post, earlier in the thread, I indicated that I don't believe Adobe is going to support both Classic and CC any longer than they have to. CC is clearly the future for Adobe, if for no other reason than that it's newer code, and easier to maintain. (I suspect, also, that the reason Adobe has had so much trouble speeding up Classic is because the code is legacy, and has a lot of cruft in it that can't be easily walked back.)

The big question, for me, is what Lightroom is going to be a year from now. If Adobe goes full-on cloud and kills Classic, I think that's a problem. I also think it's very possible.
Ah, yeah. I think Adobe is going to keep Classic going for quite a while. As noted, many people (and maybe more importantly, institutions and businesses) can't really make much use of CC. If CC ends up with the organizational chops of Classic, fine. I'd switch in a heartbeat. But it can't even do keywords effectively yet, despite people requesting that since the days of Lr Mobile.

And besides, they wouldn't kill it I'd bet. Just turn it into a mostly an organizer. Kind like how Bridge is now. They'd just update the ACR part of it, but add the new sexy retouching tools to CC instead. Lr would be left with essentially what it has now, which might not need much updating. Have it send files to CC for image adjusting, and they get sent back, a la how plugins work now. Who knows?