Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Retina, 4K and FHD in post processing RAW files ?

Hello folks. I'm thinking of gradually replacing my 8 years old laptop (32bits) (hopefully before it fails), and also upgrading to 4K.
But... I'm asking myself if editing images with better (high density) display will not actually degrade the viewing quality when some people will see the same picture on a FHD (1920x1080) display.
What I mean, for example, a photograph taken with a soft lens may still look sharp on a 4K display because pixels are closer to each other, and the same image will look soft when viewed with a FHD display.
Anyone could share his/here experience when switching from FHD to retina/4K or back to lower resolution FHD ? Many thanks.

01-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

That's an interesting question -- one that I hadn't thought of. Now I'm curious about the answer too.
01-31-2018, 02:23 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What I mean, for example, a photograph taken with a soft lens may still look sharp on a 4K display because pixels are closer to each other, and the same image will look soft when viewed with a FHD display.
Or it may look much the same except for smaller lineal dimensions. Or perhaps the user might opt to magnify (upsample ) the image so that it is not so small, with predictable degradation.

Steve

(...prefers to remain ignorant about high-res displays that few people have adequate visual acuity to appreciate and which I cannot afford...)
01-31-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

That is the exact situation. My wife uses a 21.5 inch iMac that's 4k. I use a 27 inch 2650x 1600 iMac ( 7 years old, quad core i7). When it matters, she brings her files over to my machine. Pixel peeping you have a much more accurate idea of what is and isn't in focus on the 103 pixels per inch, than the 200 and something. Evaluations on the big screen are with lower resolution are simply better.

I'm thinking of getting a maxed out MacBook pro and using to this screen through Thunderbolt to get the advantages of a newer system without having to give up this screen. If it's like my other iMacs this one is good for at least another 5 years, maybe as many as 10. But, I'm going to need a new system as this one is getting near the end of the list of upgradeable machines when new Operating Systems come out.

It's been through almost 8 years of upgrades and still hanging in there. Because I went quad core and top spec. it's hasn't slowed down a bit.

Last edited by normhead; 01-31-2018 at 02:59 PM.
01-31-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That is the exact situation. My wife uses a 21.5 inch iMac that's 4k. I use a 27 inch 2650x 1600 iMac ( 7 years old, quad core i7). When it matters, she brings her files over to my machine. Pixel peeping you have a much more accurate idea of what is and isn't in focus on the 103 pixels per inch, than the 200 and something. Evaluations on the big screen are with lower resolution are simply better.
Ah Ok, thanks a lot for confirming that. It means for PP of our raw files, we are better off doing it on a HD display. And to enjoy the beauty of the resulting image with a 4K display.

---------- Post added 31-01-18 at 23:26 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Or it may look much the same except for smaller lineal dimensions.
:-) yes I'm having in mind photographs posted for the web. Images uploaded to PF gallery should be 1000 pixels max, that means they look significantly smaller when displayed on a 4K display.
01-31-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

:-) yes I'm having in mind photographs posted for the web. Images uploaded to PF gallery should be 1000 pixels max, that means they look significantly smaller when displayed on a 4K display.
There have been a few threads on this site by people complaining about small display size of moderate-sized images on high pixel-density displays on small screens, but I don't remember the outcomes. Here in the U.S., I would just go down to Best Buy and ask them to demo a monitor there in the store with a short tour of the Web including Flickr and Pentax Forums. Certain forum features such as the enlarged review images are a natural for evaluation since they are moderately size and fixed pixel dimensions. If things are too teeny, I would ask the salesperson to demonstrate how to make them more readable. The similar concerns would be true for Web page scaling where margins and such are often hard-coded.

Steve