Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Carlos33 Quote
Yes, in DxO the color is very accurate. In LR for me doesn't offer the "embedded" colour profile only the common Adobe Color, Adobe Standard, etc. appear.
I missed something or what shall I do? I shoot DNG RAW + jpg. The interesting thing is that a SOOC is extremely very good in most situations and almost no need to touch it or just slightly like exposure or color.

Do you encounter the colour issues also with the DNG files? As far as I know, RAW converters like PhotoLab and LR offer camera-specific colour profiles only if you work on RAWs, not for JPEG processing. With JPEGs, you're stuck with what the in-camera JPEG engine has come up with and otherwise generic profiles provided by your editing software.

03-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Do you encounter the colour issues also with the DNG files? As far as I know, RAW converters like PhotoLab and LR offer camera-specific colour profiles only if you work on RAWs, not for JPEG processing. With JPEGs, you're stuck with what the in-camera JPEG engine has come up with and otherwise generic profiles provided by your editing software.
This is really very interesting. I loaded my RAW and DNG photos from my K-70 in LR but non of them offered embedded profile. I had a DNG K-70 photo that I downloaded from the internet last year and here yes, offer embedded profile. Maybe I have to set something in the camera but what? This I really don't understand. Otherwise the embedded profile is exact matching with the camera color?
03-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is really very interesting. I loaded my RAW and DNG photos from my K-70 in LR but non of them offered embedded profile. I had a DNG K-70 photo that I downloaded from the internet last year and here yes, offer embedded profile. Maybe I have to set something in the camera but what? This I really don't understand. Otherwise the embedded profile is exact matching with the camera color?

To my knowledge, the embedded profile is if you will Adobe's best guess as to what a certain in-camera JPEG style from the K-70, or a group of similarly rendering Pentax DSLRs, would look like. Pentax calls those Custom Image styles. Whether Adobe aims to mimic the "Vibrant" default or "Natural" style I cannot say, although I would find "Natural" the most meaningful starting point for further edits. I understand that the embedded option will only be available if LR can gather from the EXIFs of a given RAW file what camera captured it. Therefore, I would check whether the problem files happen to have corrupted EXIF data, and if and how they differ from the downloaded files that didn't give you any issues.
03-11-2020, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
To my knowledge, the embedded profile is if you will Adobe's best guess as to what a certain in-camera JPEG style from the K-70, or a group of similarly rendering Pentax DSLRs, would look like. Pentax calls those Custom Image styles. Whether Adobe aims to mimic the "Vibrant" default or "Natural" style I cannot say, although I would find "Natural" the most meaningful starting point for further edits. I understand that the embedded option will only be available if LR can gather from the EXIFs of a given RAW file what camera captured it. Therefore, I would check whether the problem files happen to have corrupted EXIF data, and if and how they differ from the downloaded files that didn't give you any issues.
I found here in LR where the Color Profiles are:

• Go To Profile Browser.
  • Click on the '+' drop down and select Manage Profiles.
  • Select "Legacy" group -> Save
  • In the profile browser, you will find a group called "Legacy"
  • Open the Legacy group to find the "embedded" profile.

03-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found here in LR where the Color Profiles are:

Okay, so it seems "embedded" can be selected manually, which could be advantageous. Hope you can make it work for you.

Frankly, couldn't be bothered with LR for years, ever since I made the jump to DxO in 2015. As far as I can tell, my wife's DNGs from her K-70 look great in PhotoLab, just as my K-7 and K-3 files do, so absolutely no regrets.
03-13-2020, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I've been using DxO products (Optics Pro and now PhotoLab) for some years now. One of the things I like is the availability of modules for most of my camera/lens combination.

The list of modules for each supported camera can be found here: Supported cameras | DxO.com

There's often a lag in DxO bringing out modules for new lenses and cameras - sometimes up to 12 months. But it surprises and irks me that DxO haven't released any modules at all for the Pentax HD DA 55-300 f4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE, which has been on the market since June 2016 and must surely be one of Pentax/Ricoh's most popular lenses. It's not just cameras that required a firmware update to use the PLM lens (like my K-3) that are unsupported; even new models like the K-P that have native support for the PLM don't have a module for it.

For some lenses the availability of a module is more critical than others. There isn't one for my FA*300 f4.5, for example, and I'm sure there never will be. But that lens doesn't need much correction anyway. The 55-300 PLM, on the other hand does - for example, it vignettes like crazy.

As far as I can see, all of the other DA and DFA lenses are now supported. In the FA series there's only the three Limiteds (31, 43 and 77) and the FA 50 f1.4. (Some FA lenses might get coverage accidentally: for example, I have the FA 50mm f2.8 macro, which isn't listed - but DxO treats it as the optically-identical DFA 50 macro, which is.) There are no older Pentax lenses supported. Most of the popular relatively recent lenses from Samyang, Irix, Tamron and Sigma seem to be there.

Are there any other conspicuous absentees?

I've filled in the suggestion box several times, but I'm thinking that a concerted campaign for a handful of lenses (and cameras?) might just have some effect.
I've sent many requests for the PLM module and what I did was use EXIFTool to change Maker notes for the PLM to Lens Type 7 203 which is the Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR lens. Using this I get the benefits of the module for the DA 55-300. I have not noticed any problems with doing this, however, DXO personnel cautions against doing it for some reason. Along the same lines I've had to handle my Sigma 18-200 contemporary lens the same way for over three years with no ill effects. It might not be the best solution but it works for me.

Additionally, DXO PL3 supports my recently won DA* 11-18 so there should not be any excuse for them not to support the PLM.

Last edited by Larrymc; 03-13-2020 at 07:07 AM.
03-13-2020, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #22

I sent many letter and request and got this "empty, cloudy" answer. Talking popularity of the PLM? How much popularity need more? Redicilous what is happening here.

Greetings,

As you may know, we are constantly updating our database with new modules. At this time, however, there are no guarantees as to which or when modules will be added.

In case you haven't already done so, what we would suggest is that you go to our module request page at:

Suggest Module - DxO

and add your lens to our database. We take this database into consideration in our planning. However, given our limited resources, we rely on several criteria to determine our priorities for creating new modules including popularity of the lens, the amount of correction possible, etc.

We also recommend that you monitor our website, as well as emails, on a regular basis. As new modules are added, they will be posted as soon as they are available for download.

regards,
DxO Customer Support

Dear DxO Support,

My name is Karoly and have bought a Pentax K-70 camera that I enjoy so much. Not long time ago I invested a HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE lens that is so wonderful. One day I wanted to adjust a bird photo and sadly I realized that the mentioned lens is not supported however older Pentax 55-300mm lens is supported, this I don't understand. I would like to ask please create a support DxO optics module for the above mentioned very popular Pentax lens because it is so important to me and for many other people. I heard from many people on the internet, in real life, different forums, etc. that everybody would like to have this support.

I appreciate the DxO company and the efforts that this wonderful software is created. I really like so much to use it.

Once more thank you very much for your help and I wish further high success for the DxO team!
03-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #23

I second the request for adding 55-300 PLM and I've also sent a request via the official form. It's a great lens with tremendous rate of value/quality/weight so I think it is already quite popular and will continue to be. The second lens I use on trips is 15mm Limited and the optics module really does a great job a speeds up my workflow. And the fact that I can achieve good results very quickly is one of the main reasons why I ditched Lightroom...

Does anyone have a good set of settings, particularly for sharpness and aberation to share? I am struggling a bit here, somehow I still have rather soft images (e.g. for 55mm, f/9, 1/160), so any help would be tremendous. I am not that concerned about distortion...

03-21-2020, 02:51 PM   #24
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maui Quote
Does anyone have a good set of settings, particularly for sharpness and aberation to share?
Do you mean for the 55-300 PLM?

Here's what I use as a preset for birds/animals with the PLM (PL 3.2 Elite):
Light:
- Exposure compensation: Highlight priority - strong. (I sometimes change this to Slight or Centre-weighted, but I usually prefer to adjust exposure with the tone curve)
- Smart lighting. Spot-weighted, medium, with the starting point being a square in the centre
- ClearView Plus - 30
- Contrast - 0
- Microcontrast - Auto
- Tone curve: Black point at 4, white point at 250. I use a slight S curve: shadows down a little, midtones up a little and highlights up a little more. I make adjustments from there to suit the image. (I have a preference for reasonably contrasty settings for most shots.)

Color:
- RAW white balance - start with As shot. (Usually don't change it for birds/animals although I often adjust it for landscapes.)
- Vibrancy +15
- Saturation -5
- Rendering: Category Camera body; Rendering Pentax K10D. Intensity 100. (This is really a personal preference. I tried many different renderings, including the camera body used, but settled on this one.)

Detail:
- Noise reduction - PRIME, auto (Even with low ISOs, I don't find this a problem)
- Chromatic aberration. Lateral CA box is greyed out for the PLM (no module). I use the Auto setting for intensity and size. I don't set purple fringing by default but turn it on as required.
- Vignetting. Correction manual. Intensity 20, Middle 10. (The lens has significant vignetting. I based these settings on taking some shots of the sky at the long end and adjusting the edges and centre manually. Ideally this would be done at a number of different focal lengths.)
- Unsharp mask: intensity 100. Radius 0.5. Threshold 4.

Geometry:
- Distortion: I haven't set this. If it matters (e.g. architecture shots), some modest pincushion correction could be dialled in. For my usual shots it makes no practical difference.

These settings are based on trial and error. I only use them as a starting point. There is always scope for improvement. I would be interested to hear the experience of others.
03-22-2020, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #25

Thanks Des! Yes, I mean for the 55-300 PLM, specifically sections Chromatic aberation, Unsharp mask, Vignetting and Distortion (the last 2 bother me less). For the rest I have my personal preset which works very nicely for me

1) I see that you adjusting, vignetting - thanks, these values look good. Very helpful!
2) CA - your setting seems to be the default, I didn't come up with a tailored one either.
3) Unsharp mask - your setting seems to be the default, which for me is a a bit too soft. For now I am using Intensity 220, diameter 0.5, threshold 4, edge offset 20. It sharpens the picture well and brings up very little noise. For details and structure of materials thershold 0 or 1 would be better, but then there is visible noise in the skies (but might work well for close ups), thershold 8 or 10 smoothes the sky but structure of materials remains soft (still could work well on some landscapes).
4) Distortion, same as you, for now I keep the default, which is no correction.

Does anyone else have good set of parameters for the 55-300 PLM?

FYI, I am using the lens on K-70.

Last edited by maui; 03-22-2020 at 03:10 AM.
03-22-2020, 04:42 AM   #26
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maui Quote
Unsharp mask - your setting seems to be the default, which for me is a a bit too soft
Yes I am a bit conservative about adding sharpening. Occasionally I increase the sharpness around a subject using local adjustments, but mostly I find that locally adjusting the microcontrast and ClearView makes the subject standout in a more subtle way. I see a lot of oversharpened images here- especially those hosted on Flickr which adds its own. Using sharpening to overcome slightly missed focus or motion blur seems to be a common trap.

Thanks for the tip. I will give your setting a go.
03-23-2020, 02:01 AM - 2 Likes   #27

For me DNG:
- Chromatic aberrations: Default
- Raw white Balance: As Shot
- Clear View Plus: +12
- Vibrancy: +16
- Saturation: +14
Prime Noise Reduction (play only with luminance, the rest are Default)

Unsharp mask
- Intensity: 120
- Radius: 0.6
- Threshold 3
- Edge Offset +41

It depends also on the picture, my other photo Unsharp mask was:
- Intensity: 140
- Radius: 0.55
- Threshold 2
- Edge Offset +25

I think the Intensity is optimal between 90-170
Radius is optimal between 0.5-0.7
Threshold is optimal between 2-4
Edge Offset is optimal between 20-50

But of course it depends on the photos and these are only my opinions

You cannot go wrong with these settings but of cousre DxO Optic module would be the best.
04-12-2020, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Interesting that this old thread still has the same right to exist that it had more than two years ago when it was started: the PLM is still not supported.

I have just submitted my request for that to be done at Suggest Module - DxO

Interesting that the thread got a bump back to life just a month ago. Let's hope that our pleas will be heard at DxO.
04-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #29
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Interesting that the thread got a bump back to life just a month ago. Let's hope that our pleas will be heard at DxO.
Hear, hear. Thanks for adding your voice to the chorus.
07-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
May as well keep it alive then, sent my request yesterday and then found this thread, so disappointing.