Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2022, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #76
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
I've always seen this as a team effort, easily as our signatures as Pentaxians would be overlooked on DxO's busy radar if we didn't amplify them now and then by acting together
Absolutely. The point is underlined when you see from the DxO forum how many other claims there are on DxO's resources. And for every lens, there are numerous modules to be created.
I wouldn't invest so much energy if I didn't know how PhotoLab can make our Pentax DNG's shine, and if it wasn't so much fun editing in it.
Amen.
Shot this morning, utilizing ambient light, K-3 at ISO's 5000 and 4000, respectively. These shouldn't look all that great, but processed to taste in PL5, they didn't come out half as bad:
Those are wonderful examples. I see from your site that you have a whole troupe of gorgeous models on hand, which helps.

10-03-2022, 02:53 PM - 3 Likes   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Those are wonderful examples. I see from your site that you have a whole troupe of gorgeous models on hand, which helps.

Thanks again, Des, glad you enjoyed my humble efforts. Yep, the abundance of available talent sure helped, although three out of the litter of four have meanwhile found new homes. It was the first time I witnessed a cat giving birth, and it's nothing short of a little wonder. They all have their own personalities, and on that account I would have loved to keep the white one (Shiro) besides Shiori, the dark tabby you saw in the samples. But they grow up and you have to feed and sustain them, and particularly in these uncertain times you have to remain responsible.

A little off-the-cuff pet journalism certainly helps to compensate for not being able to pursue more substantial photo projects when life and work intervene, as they so often do. And when the little critters are gone, it's only the memories and the images that remain (so you'd better take halfway decent ones while you can).

+++ UPDATED ON 7 OCT 2022 +++

On 5 October, DxO PhotoLab 6 was released. Checking in the trial version (v6.0.0 Build 3) reveals that profiles for
  • HD Pentax-D FA 21mm F2.4 ED Limited DC WR
  • HD Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 Limited
  • HD Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
  • HD Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
are available now, whereas the one for
  • HD Pentax- DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED PLM AW
hasn't materialized yet. Well, that's at least a start, I guess, and the DA* profile may see the light of day fairly soon. DxO staffer Marie hinted on their forum two days ago that they "will add more (i.e. lens profiles) before Christmas".

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-07-2022 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Update on lens calibrations corrected.
10-20-2022, 01:30 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the new 100 Macro just released, I submitted a lens module suggestion from within the PL6 trial for
This looks to be a meaningful upgrade to a classic piece of Pentax glass, kept affordable too, so feel free to submit yours. Let's show them that there's enough demand to justify a dedicated module. ✊
10-20-2022, 01:57 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the new 100 Macro just released, I submitted a lens module suggestion from within the PL6 trial for
This looks to be a meaningful upgrade to a classic piece of Pentax glass, kept affordable too, so feel free to submit yours. Let's show them that there's enough demand to justify a dedicated module. ✊
Officially announced but not yet available (in the americas at least. ) shipping dates are in November.

11-14-2022, 09:08 AM   #80

Photos: Gallery
Note that currently for the FA limited, on PL5 the software doesn't differ between the SMC and HD Versions, it updates the profiles to the HD Versions. Whether you want it or not. This is a recognized bug. DXO promised to solve the bug with the next update which was stated to take around 1 month.
11-14-2022, 12:19 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
Note that currently for the FA limited, on PL5 the software doesn't differ between the SMC and HD Versions, it updates the profiles to the HD Versions. Whether you want it or not. This is a recognized bug. DXO promised to solve the bug with the next update which was stated to take around 1 month.
That's not the experience I had just the other day. I had already installed the SMC module for my HD 31. I then loaded the HD module. When I navigated to a folder with pictures taken with this lens, there was a yellowish/orange indicator on all the pictures taken with the 31. When I clicked on it, it allowed me to choose which module it should take for the image, with the option to apply that one to all the images in that folder. I have uninstalled the SMC module afterwards, and now it does not show me the indicator anymore.
11-17-2022, 04:02 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Still hoping for to see the Q series supported in DxO PL. I just upgraded to 6 and still MIA.

07-14-2023, 11:49 AM - 3 Likes   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having received at least two newsletter emails over the last couple of months about new support added - without a single Pentax item covered or even scheduled since February - I renewed my efforts on DxO Forums to request modules for the following today:
  • Pentax K-3 III Monochrome
  • HD Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4
  • smc Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 Classic
  • HD Pentax-FA 35mm F2
  • HD Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED
07-14-2023, 08:39 PM - 2 Likes   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I renewed my efforts on DxO Forums to request modules for the following today:
  • Pentax K-3 III Monochrome
Highly unlikely. Even Leica users don’t get the love. DXO prime is built on color info and the simple way to put a true monochrome file into DXO is to convert to tiff first. My monochrome k-3 has the advantage of being able to masquerade as a color camera raw file - albeit without some of the benefits - which made raw processing easier for me.
07-15-2023, 10:40 AM - 3 Likes   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's what DxO staffer Marie replied 3 hours ago to my support request:

"Both Pentax 50mm F1.4 will be supported in September. I will look for the (HD FA, my addition) 35mm as well. I can’t say about the (HD DA 10-17mm) fish-eye for now."

So, it would seem they haven't lost us completely on their radar.
08-30-2023, 12:48 PM - 3 Likes   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay, DxO has kept its word and just made available three new lens modules for Pentax glass, namely
  • HD Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4
  • smc Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 Classic
  • HD Pentax-FA 35mm F2

They come with the updates PL v6.9 and Nik Collection v6.3.

Step by step we're getting there, I guess. This is good news, AFAIC.
08-30-2023, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #87
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
DxO has kept its word and just made available three new lens modules for Pentax glass
That's good news Marc.

Just to repost the DxO Forums link for anyone else who might wan to weigh in: DxO Software - New Cameras & Lenses support (30 August 2023 update) - #428 by platypus - General news & announcements - DxO Forums

Unfortunately there is one user there who makes a habit of trolling Pentaxians. Don't bite.
08-30-2023, 04:43 PM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's good news Marc.

Just to repost the DxO Forums link for anyone else who might wan to weigh in: DxO Software - New Cameras & Lenses support (30 August 2023 update) - #428 by platypus - General news & announcements - DxO Forums

Unfortunately there is one user there who makes a habit of trolling Pentaxians. Don't bite.
But it sounds like fun…
08-31-2023, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #89
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
But it sounds like fun…
Responding to trolls is not my idea of fun. But on 16 July Marc( @madaboutpix ) provided an exemplary response to the usual sledge about Pentax users:

"Well, normally, there should be enough space under the sun for users of all reasonably accessible brands. It’s just that niche brand users may now and then have to signal that they still exist, otherwise they risk getting ignored.

BTW, I firmly believe that diversity enriches photography, rather than being some sort of menace or threat that needs to be discouraged at every turn. At the end of the day, we’re all photographers or at least photo enthusiasts of various ilks, right?

Heck, if it didn’t kill the design aesthetics, I would happily tape up the brand plate on my camera - not because I don’t take pride in what I shoot (quite the opposite, really), but to avoid having to constantly explain my choices to shooters of bigger brands (don’t mean you, Mike; most Nikonians that I have met seem to kinda dig Pentax, maybe because pro-grade Nikons are built like tanks too, or because Pentax used to be a household name in the film days). Real photographers usually understand that great photographs don’t depend on the brand that was used, while photographers produce their best work with the sort of gear that compels them enough to go out and actually take photos in the first place."

Touché!
08-31-2023, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Responding to trolls is not my idea of fun. But on 16 July Marc( @madaboutpix ) provided an exemplary response to the usual sledge about Pentax users

You're too kind, Des. Actually, I maybe shouldn't have fed the troll and given him the stage and cheap thrills he was craving so much. Just couldn't resist speaking my mind and trying to work against some of those popular stereotypes about Pentaxians out there, yet knowing while I was doing so that it wouldn't change that person's mind in the least, but rather make him feel validated in some deranged manner. It seems as if with dpr's demise, those toxic creatures from the comment sections have found new habitats where they hope to thrive.