Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2018, 04:28 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DxO users: which extra Pentax/Ricoh lens/camera modules do you want?

I've been using DxO products (Optics Pro and now PhotoLab) for some years now. One of the things I like is the availability of modules for most of my camera/lens combination.

The list of modules for each supported camera can be found here: Supported cameras | DxO.com

There's often a lag in DxO bringing out modules for new lenses and cameras - sometimes up to 12 months. But it surprises and irks me that DxO haven't released any modules at all for the Pentax HD DA 55-300 f4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE, which has been on the market since June 2016 and must surely be one of Pentax/Ricoh's most popular lenses. It's not just cameras that required a firmware update to use the PLM lens (like my K-3) that are unsupported; even new models like the K-P that have native support for the PLM don't have a module for it.

For some lenses the availability of a module is more critical than others. There isn't one for my FA*300 f4.5, for example, and I'm sure there never will be. But that lens doesn't need much correction anyway. The 55-300 PLM, on the other hand does - for example, it vignettes like crazy.

As far as I can see, all of the other DA and DFA lenses are now supported. In the FA series there's only the three Limiteds (31, 43 and 77) and the FA 50 f1.4. (Some FA lenses might get coverage accidentally: for example, I have the FA 50mm f2.8 macro, which isn't listed - but DxO treats it as the optically-identical DFA 50 macro, which is.) There are no older Pentax lenses supported. Most of the popular relatively recent lenses from Samyang, Irix, Tamron and Sigma seem to be there.

Are there any other conspicuous absentees?

I've filled in the suggestion box several times, but I'm thinking that a concerted campaign for a handful of lenses (and cameras?) might just have some effect.

Last edited by Des; 02-01-2018 at 06:11 PM.
02-01-2018, 05:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last time I checked they don't support any of the q lenses.
02-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #3
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Last time I checked they don't support any of the q lenses.
Still don't support any of the Q series cameras/lenses.

Amongst K-mount cameras, the *ist series, K100D and K100D Super, and K110D are not supported, but all the others are.

So are the 645D and 645Z.

The Ricoh GR and GR II are supported.

Pentax/Ricoh models that don't offer RAW support (e.g. Ricoh WG, Ricoh Theta, Pentax Optio) are also not supported.
02-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll have to look and think about it.

02-02-2018, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have been using OpticsPro since v10 and PhotoLab since release and been quite happy with it. Support for my K-3 and my Pentax DA lenses leaves little to be desired, apart from the fact that the module for the DA10-17 Fish-Eye applies overcompensation for vignetting (which can be dialled back of course). Given that the latest-version 55-300 should be a well-received (and -sold) consumer lens, I'm pretty sure that DxO will come up with a module in one of the next revisions.

Third-party support is not bad but a little more sketchy, in particular with some of the newer manual focus options on the market. Personally, I'd love to find K-3 support with lenses like
  • Laowa: 12mm F2.8 Zero-D, 60mm F2.8 Macro-Ultra 2:1 (AFAIK, no Laowa support at all yet)
  • Samyang: 135mm F2 ED UMC
  • Mitakon: 20mm F2 4.5x Super Macro, Creator 135 F2.8 II
As far as I recall, I have already submitted the above as suggestions, but maybe I'm not the only one who would appreciate them?
02-02-2018, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
As far as I recall, I have already submitted the above as suggestions, but maybe I'm not the only one who would appreciate them?
I've just put in requests for each of these, FWIW. Given DxO's support for a number of Samyang lenses, it seems likely they will add the 135mm f2 in the near future. (They don't seem to have it in any mounts at present.) The Laowa and Mitakon might be another story - from a quick look, DxO don't seem to have modules for any manual aperture lenses, as far as I can see.
02-02-2018, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I've just put in requests for each of these, FWIW.

Great idea for a thread pushing correction modules for Pentax in DxO's much-overlooked raw conversion software. Sure appreciate your effort, Des.

03-10-2020, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
I've been using DxO products (Optics Pro and now PhotoLab) for some years now. One of the things I like is the availability of modules for most of my camera/lens combination.

The list of modules for each supported camera can be found here: Supported cameras | DxO.com

There's often a lag in DxO bringing out modules for new lenses and cameras - sometimes up to 12 months. But it surprises and irks me that DxO haven't released any modules at all for the Pentax HD DA 55-300 f4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE, which has been on the market since June 2016 and must surely be one of Pentax/Ricoh's most popular lenses. It's not just cameras that required a firmware update to use the PLM lens (like my K-3) that are unsupported; even new models like the K-P that have native support for the PLM don't have a module for it.

For some lenses the availability of a module is more critical than others. There isn't one for my FA*300 f4.5, for example, and I'm sure there never will be. But that lens doesn't need much correction anyway. The 55-300 PLM, on the other hand does - for example, it vignettes like crazy.

As far as I can see, all of the other DA and DFA lenses are now supported. In the FA series there's only the three Limiteds (31, 43 and 77) and the FA 50 f1.4. (Some FA lenses might get coverage accidentally: for example, I have the FA 50mm f2.8 macro, which isn't listed - but DxO treats it as the optically-identical DFA 50 macro, which is.) There are no older Pentax lenses supported. Most of the popular relatively recent lenses from Samyang, Irix, Tamron and Sigma seem to be there.

I've filled in the suggestion box several times, but I'm thinking that a concerted campaign for a handful of lenses (and cameras?) might just have some effect.
I am very happy for my K-70 and 55-300 PLM lens combo. But I can see that DxO Photolab 3 still not support the PLM lens! This is the most important new serious lens from Pentax and I am very disappointed because even older 55-300 lens has DxO optics module. This is so annoying situation. Does somebody has info?

Last edited by Carlos33; 03-10-2020 at 03:09 AM.
03-10-2020, 02:19 AM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Carlos33 Quote
I am very happy for my K-70 and 55-300 PLM lend combo. But I can see that DxO Photolab 3 still not support the PLM lens! This is the most important new serious lens from Pentax and I am very disappointed because even older 55-300 lens has DxO optics module. This is so annoying situation. Does somebody has info?
No news Carlos. It's hard to understand why they haven't done modules for this lens, given its popularity.
03-10-2020, 03:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

They have no lens module support in K-mount for the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II. That's my current gripe with DxO. I've asked about it a few times.

DxO keeps on suggesting the Pentax or Tamron 70-200's or the Sigma OS 70-200 as lens options, but they aren't a good enough match.
03-10-2020, 03:17 AM   #11

Hi Des,
It is exactly so strange that happening around the camera business. Fx. in Lightroom there isn't any Camera matching profiles for K-70 only Adobe profiles. I switched from Nikon D7200 and I couldn't switch OFF the VR at the Nikon AF-P 70-300 telephoto lens because there isn't physical switch on the lens. Instead Nikon included a feature in the menu to switch ON or OFF VR. Of course, because of again marketing decision even the latest D7200 firmware this option is never included. Only the few very latest Nikon camera model got it in their firmware. What a mess and deliberate actions everywhere. All the camera has some disadvantages regarding compatibility, or software, etc. issues...unbelievable.
03-10-2020, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am very happy for my K-70 and 55-300 PLM lens combo. But I can see that DxO Photolab 3 still not support the PLM lens! This is the most important new serious lens from Pentax and I am very disappointed because even older 55-300 lens has DxO optics module. This is so annoying situation. Does somebody has info?

It is annoying indeed, and unfortunately, I don't have any info other than that I have filed several requests for a K-3 / 55-300 PLM module already. The PLM has been on my wishlist for quite a while, and I would definitely like to see it supported. How they can ignore a lens that must be one of the first lenses beyond the kit zoom Pentaxians will pick up is beyond me. Presumably, they are busy adding profiles for zillions of SoCanNikon lenses. PhotoLab remains an awesome piece of editing software, however.
03-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #13

It is annoying indeed, and unfortunately, I don't have any info other than that I have filed several requests for a K-3 / 55-300 PLM module already. The PLM has been on my wishlist for quite a while, and I would definitely like to see it supported. How they can ignore a lens that must be one of the first lenses beyond the kit zoom Pentaxians will pick up is beyond me. Presumably, they are busy adding profiles for zillions of SoCanNikon lenses. PhotoLab remains an awesome piece of editing software, however.
Yes, this is so sad that the people have to look after other software etc. I wrote a letter to DxO to support the Pentax 55-300 PLM lens.

Fx. I also realized that the LR doesn't give accurate K-70 colors.
Is there a good Camera matching profile somewhere that gives pleasing colors in LR? I realized that the yellow has a slightly greenish tint, strange. Thank you.
03-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, this is so sad that the people have to look after other software etc. I wrote a letter to DxO to support the Pentax 55-300 PLM lens.

Fx. I also realized that the LR doesn't give accurate K-70 colors.
Is there a good Camera matching profile somewhere that gives pleasing colors in LR? I realized that the yellow has a slightly greenish tint, strange. Thank you.

Have never written actual letters to DxO, but have used that feature of both their software and website where you can suggest modules. They also have their own forum if you're looking for additional communication channels.

Haven't used LR for several years now, but I do recall that the "embedded" colour profile used to work reasonably well for my K-7 and K-3 - have you selected that? However, I like DxO's colour profiles for the more recent Pentax APS-C bodies much better than LR's, I must say.
03-10-2020, 12:43 PM   #15

Have never written actual letters to DxO, but have used that feature of both their software and website where you can suggest modules. They also have their own forum if you're looking for additional communication channels.

Haven't used LR for several years now, but I do recall that the "embedded" colour profile used to work reasonably well for my K-7 and K-3 - have you selected that? However, I like DxO's colour profiles for the more recent Pentax APS-C bodies much better than LR's, I must say.
Yes, I did both, letter + suggest modules as well.

Yes, in DxO the color is very accurate. In LR for me doesn't offer the "embedded" colour profile only the common Adobe Color, Adobe Standard, etc. appear.

I missed something or what shall I do? I shoot DNG RAW + jpg. The interesting thing is that a SOOC is extremely very good in most situations and almost no need to touch it or just slightly like exposure or color.