Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2020, 01:32 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just renewed my request - for what must be about the sixth time - for the K-3 + 55-300 PLM. I don't know the sales figures, but I wouldn't be surprised if the the PLM was Ricoh's second- or third-bestselling Pentax lens, for many buyers the first lens they pick up beyond the kit lens. And as of today, there's still no PhotoLab profile for it!

Much as I love DxO photo editing software, and I really do and will most probably continue to, but that is absolutely ridiculous. I bet SoCaNikon users get the crappiest or most esoteric lens options supported in almost anticipatory obedience (well, maybe not, but I'm slightly peeved, as you may be able to tell). Let's hope the advent of the K-new will make them remember that there are still a few Pentax shooters out there. From what I seem to recall, France, the country where DxO is based, still has one of the bigger Pentax communities in Europe (though far behind the bigger brands of course).

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 07-29-2020 at 11:40 AM.
07-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #32
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Just renewed my request - for what must be about the sixth time - for the K-3 + 55-300 PLM. I don't know the sales figures, but I wouldn't be surprised if the the PLM was Ricoh's second- or third-bestselling Pentax lens, for many buyers the first lens they pick up beyond the kit lens. And as of today, there's still no PhotoLab profile for it!
I wondered a while ago whether someone at DxO said, "We've got modules for the Pentax 55-300 lenses. These complainers are mistaken." Or maybe Ricoh hasn't supplied a free sample of the DA 55-300 f4.5-6.3 PLM for testing. It's hard to think why otherwise the PLM is not covered but, say, the Sigma 55-200mm f4-5.6 is. I don't remember ever seeing a photo from that lens on PF.
07-29-2020, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I wondered a while ago whether someone at DxO said, "We've got modules for the Pentax 55-300 lenses. These complainers are mistaken." Or maybe Ricoh hasn't supplied a free sample of the DA 55-300 f4.5-6.3 PLM for testing.

Both sound perfectly possible to me, but my first guess would be they are just inundated by the flood of new lenses for SoCaNikon that they feel they have to test to keep the masses happy. Pentax may just not be particularly high on their priority list, in which they frankly don't differ much from other editing software companies.

At least as a backup, where support is lacking from third-party software, I would love Ricoh to afford their DCU software that ships with the cameras a new and less tacky UI. Every time I open even the latest version, I feel transported back to the year 2005, can't overcome my exasperation and close that thing again. Which is a shame, given that it's free and by all accounts a capable piece of software.
07-31-2020, 02:57 AM   #34

Photos: Gallery
I am also still waiting for the K-70+55-300PLM optic module.
Anytime I write them email only coming the stupid bla-bla-ba answers that they are very busy with other lenses.
Of course I am so stupid to beleive it. The point is guys, there is a marketing or who knows what kind of reason is in the background but that they definitely don't want to make it for the PLM. It is so sad...

08-05-2020, 04:09 AM - 5 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just posted the following - as I hope kindly worded - feature request on DxO Forums:

"I reckon that you get a lot of requests for specific camera-lens combos, so much so that it must seem like fighting a deluge. And, on the whole, Pentaxians have been able to rely on DxO to provide optics modules for new and current Pentax lenses in a timely fashion. I also understand that Pentax has arguably become a niche brand that will likely not be your top priority when allocating your resources.

But, then again, given the consistent history of your brand support (and the somewhat patchy experience elsewhere), and the excellent processing results of Pentax PEFs and DNGs with PhotoLab, you may have a small but loyal customer base in the Pentaxians using your products.

Could it be, then, that the HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE has somehow slipped under your radar? Because otherwise it would be hard to believe that such an absolute bread-and-butter lens, released in 2016, and likely one of the bestselling current Pentax offerings, is still without support. Over on PentaxForums, there is a long and increasingly disbelieving thread of users who are, shall we say, puzzled by how their formal suggestions via your site regarding the optics module seem to have yielded nothing but the usual apologetic responses for years.

Is that really going to be DxO's last word on the HD DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE?"

Not sure if it will have the effect we hope for, but at least I tried.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 08-05-2020 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Typo corrected.
08-06-2020, 06:33 PM - 3 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a work around for the 55-300 PLM that I have been using since December of 2019. What I do is change the Maker Notes to make PhotoLab read the 55-300 PLM as a HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR instead and I get the full capability that having a module gives me in RAW processing. If you can use text editor and have a up to date copy of EXIFTool on your computer as well then you can try this for yourself. i have seen no detrimental effects from this other than Flickr or other sites will not report that your PLM is a PLM it will be shown as the HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR.

here is how you do this:
You need EXIFTool to do the modification.
1. Read this from Phil Harvey it explains how to write a script to do what you need to do. Changing lens info for DxO recognition
2. reference this page for Pentax Lens Types. Pentax Tags
3. Use note pad or any text editor and paste this to the text editor:
-n
-lenstype=7 203
-overwrite_original_in_place

then save the script as 55-300-PLM or what ever you want to save the script as then copy the script to the same folder location that EXIFTool.exe is located (usually C:\Exiftool
4. Create a shortcut executable Icon with the Target of the script as C:\ExifTool\exiftool(-k).exe -@ 55-300-PLM.txt and save it to your desktop with the label name you used for the saved script and all you have to do is drag and drop the PEF, DNG or JPG files or groups of files to the Icon and the Maker Notes should be modified then use EXIFTool GUI to finish the operation by using the EXIFToolGUI modify menu Exif: LensInfo from MakerNotes to write the lens info to the Exif Data field LensType. Now you can use PhotoLab to process your RAW files and use the full capability of PhotoLab.
08-08-2020, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just posted the following - as I hope kindly worded - feature request on DxO Forums:

"I reckon that you get a lot of requests for specific camera-lens combos, so much so that it must seem like fighting a deluge. And, on the whole, Pentaxians have been able to rely on DxO to provide optics modules for new and current Pentax lenses in a timely fashion. I also understand that Pentax has arguably become a niche brand that will likely not be your top priority when allocating your resources.

But, then again, given the consistent history of your brand support (and the somewhat patchy experience elsewhere), and the excellent processing results of Pentax PEFs and DNGs with PhotoLab, you may have a small but loyal customer base in the Pentaxians using your products.

Could it be, then, that the HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE has somehow slipped under your radar? Because otherwise it would be hard to believe that such an absolute bread-and-butter lens, released in 2016, and likely one of the bestselling current Pentax offerings, is still without support. Over on PentaxForums, there is a long and increasingly disbelieving thread of users who are, shall we say, puzzled by how their formal suggestions via your site regarding the optics module seem to have yielded nothing but the usual apologetic responses for years.

Is that really going to be DxO's last word on the HD DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE?"

Not sure if it will have the effect we hope for, but at least I tried.
I just added my support to your request and added a vote to your request also. I would suggest that Pentaxian PhotoLab users go to the DXO forum and join if not already a member and add your support and vote for @Madaboutpix DXO support request for the 55-300 PLM the link is: Still no lens module for HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - really? - Which feature do you need? - DxO Forums the more votes for the module the better. Without we Pentaxians pushing for support of the 55-300 PLM, DXO will probably not do anything. Even if you don't have a 55-300 PLM please add your support.

08-08-2020, 08:04 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I just added my support to your request and added a vote to your request also. I would suggest that Pentaxian PhotoLab users go to the DXO forum and join if not already a member and add your support and vote for @Madaboutpix DXO support request for the 55-300 PLM the link is: Still no lens module for HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - really? - Which feature do you need? - DxO Forums the more votes for the module the better. Without we Pentaxians pushing for support of the 55-300 PLM, DXO will probably not do anything. Even if you don't have a 55-300 PLM please add your support.
Just joined and added my vote
08-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
Just joined and added my vote
Thanks!!
08-13-2020, 05:57 AM - 3 Likes   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Hello,
I’m sorry we missed that lens.
We will add it to the roadmap but we need a loan from Pentax first. I’ll keep you up to date.
Regards,
Marie (DxO staff)"

The above is what Marie of DxO staff posted just an hour ago over on DxO's forum: Still no lens module for HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - really? - Which feature do you need? - DxO Forums. Looks like something may finally get done about the missing module.

Of course, the stated intention to do something is not the usable module yet, but I consider that we are at least thus far the result of a remarkable team effort emanating from this very thread. I'd like to thank everyone involved in this, particularly Larry, who led the effort to actually pool our voices in this matter. Guess I was too shy to do so myself, although I should've, given that it seems to be working.
08-13-2020, 06:06 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone could volunteer their lens...
08-13-2020, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Someone could volunteer their lens...

DxO is based in France, and I don't know if they accept informal loans from private individuals. My best guess is that it would be Ricoh Imaging Europe's call to provide a loan. This would also give them the chance to send a copy that they consider within specs?
08-13-2020, 02:29 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Of course, the stated intention to do something is not the usable module yet, but I consider that we are at least thus far the result of a remarkable team effort emanating from this very thread. I'd like to thank everyone involved in this, particularly Larry, who led the effort to actually pool our voices in this matter. Guess I was too shy to do so myself, although I should've, given that it seems to be working.
Great work Marc and Larry. Well done to everyone who contributed.

Marc you should be an ambassador somewhere. I'm sure you could sort out conflicts in the Middle East or between the US and China.

One thread on the DxO support forum looks to have achieved what countless form submissions could not!

Makes you wonder:
1. why DxO bother having a lens nomination form
2. what scanning DxO do for new products
3. what Ricoh do to inform software developers about their products

It all looks rather amateurish, on the part of both DxO and Ricoh. Makes me think that there isn't much chance of DxO providing advanced brand-specific features, such as the sort of support for PixelShift images that RawTherapee offers.

But let's focus on the positives:
1. A real person in DxO looked at it and frankly acknowledged an oversight. No more obfuscation.
2. We won't have to use hacks and workarounds for processing images from one of our favourite lenses.
3. DxO will now have coverage for every DA and DFA lens, I think. (Of course there will be a lag for new ones like the DFA*85,)
4. Happy PL users won't need to qualify their recommendations of DxO PL to other Pentaxians about coverage of current Pentax lenses.
DxO is based in France, and I don't know if they accept informal loans from private individuals. My best guess is that it would be Ricoh Imaging Europe's call to provide a loan. This would also give them the chance to send a copy that they consider within specs?
Perhaps a polite email to Ricoh Imaging Europe from one of their European customers to tell them about this might do the trick? ;-)
08-14-2020, 07:23 AM - 3 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just emailed the following inquiry to Ricoh Imaging Europe S.A.S utilizing their online contact form:

"Dear Sir or Madam

Ever since the HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE was launched in 2016, Pentaxians who also use DxO OpticsPro and meanwhile PhotoLab have been waiting for a lens correction module for that particular lens in the powerful raw conversion software. For most other current Pentax optics, DxO has provided such correction modules in a timely manner. By now, DxO seems to be aware of the gap in their lens profile library, but a DxO staffer on their forum indicated that for the creation of such a lens-specific profile they would need a loan copy of that lens.

Is there any possibility that, maybe due to some uncharacteristic oversight, such a loan copy of the above lens has never been provided to DxO, or otherwise got lost in the mail? Nor do I know if DxO have reached out to Ricoh Imaging Europe in this matter.

From my interactions with other Pentaxians from various countries and threads on PentaxForums and the DxO Forum, I get the feeling that I am not alone in hoping for the correction module. And we imagine that it cannot be undoable to select, pack, and ship a loan copy of a compact consumer lens from one Paris-based company to another in the same beautiful city?

We know that it has long been one of the foremost goals of your mission to keep your customers happy, and if the collaboration of Ricoh Imaging and DxO has worked in all the other cases, why would it fail for this particular lens, which must be one of the bestselling Pentax optics?

Could you keep a loyal Pentaxian updated about Ricoh Imaging's efforts regarding this matter?

Yours faithfully

Marc Synwoldt"

Let's see what happens.

---------- Post added 08-14-20 at 04:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Marc you should be an ambassador somewhere. I'm sure you could sort out conflicts in the Middle East or between the US and China.

Wow, that must be the most lavish praise I've received anywhere in years, Des, even if adjusted for good-natured hyperbole. What I did was a small thing, and anyway this has been a team effort in which you were involved too (including your suggestion to reach out to Ricoh Imaging Europe). Otherwise, I've long felt that diplomacy is a powerful thing, not just in dealing with corporate and public entities, but also in international politics. (I'm saying this as an interested observer of international politics, not as someone praticing it.)

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 08-14-2020 at 09:59 AM.
08-17-2020, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just emailed the following inquiry to Ricoh Imaging Europe S.A.S utilizing their online contact form:

"Dear Sir or Madam

Ever since the HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE was launched in 2016, Pentaxians who also use DxO OpticsPro and meanwhile PhotoLab have been waiting for a lens correction module for that particular lens in the powerful raw conversion software. For most other current Pentax optics, DxO has provided such correction modules in a timely manner. By now, DxO seems to be aware of the gap in their lens profile library, but a DxO staffer on their forum indicated that for the creation of such a lens-specific profile they would need a loan copy of that lens.

Is there any possibility that, maybe due to some uncharacteristic oversight, such a loan copy of the above lens has never been provided to DxO, or otherwise got lost in the mail? Nor do I know if DxO have reached out to Ricoh Imaging Europe in this matter.

From my interactions with other Pentaxians from various countries and threads on PentaxForums and the DxO Forum, I get the feeling that I am not alone in hoping for the correction module. And we imagine that it cannot be undoable to select, pack, and ship a loan copy of a compact consumer lens from one Paris-based company to another in the same beautiful city?

We know that it has long been one of the foremost goals of your mission to keep your customers happy, and if the collaboration of Ricoh Imaging and DxO has worked in all the other cases, why would it fail for this particular lens, which must be one of the bestselling Pentax optics?

Could you keep a loyal Pentaxian updated about Ricoh Imaging's efforts regarding this matter?

Yours faithfully

Marc Synwoldt"

Let's see what happens.

---------- Post added 08-14-20 at 04:35 PM ----------

Wow, that must be the most lavish praise I've received anywhere in years, Des, even if adjusted for good-natured hyperbole. What I did was a small thing, and anyway this has been a team effort in which you were involved too (including your suggestion to reach out to Ricoh Imaging Europe). Otherwise, I've long felt that diplomacy is a powerful thing, not just in dealing with corporate and public entities, but also in international politics. (I'm saying this as an interested observer of international politics, not as someone praticing it.)
Excellent work Marc, you deserve a big Atta-Boy on this! Lets hope that this gets the ball rolling. Its strange that the HD PENTAX-DA* 11-18mm F2.8 ED DC AW introduced by Ricoh/Pentax almost 3 years after the 55-300 PLM and DXO has a module for it. The HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW was released in June 2018 and it also has a module. It appears to me that perhaps Ricoh Imaging Europe dropped the ball along the way or possibly they didn't consider the 55-300 PLM as being important enough to loan one to DXO. What ever the problem was, I hope your efforts pays off with a module in the near future.

Again, many thanks for your effort to get this problem resolved.