Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2020, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Excellent work Marc, you deserve a big Atta-Boy on this! Lets hope that this gets the ball rolling. Its strange that the HD PENTAX-DA* 11-18mm F2.8 ED DC AW introduced by Ricoh/Pentax almost 3 years after the 55-300 PLM and DXO has a module for it. The HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW was released in June 2018 and it also has a module. It appears to me that perhaps Ricoh Imaging Europe dropped the ball along the way or possibly they didn't consider the 55-300 PLM as being important enough to loan one to DXO. What ever the problem was, I hope your efforts pays off with a module in the near future.Again, many thanks for your effort to get this problem resolved.

Sure appreciated Larry, but your own role shouldn't be underestimated. Hope our concerted "campaign" will serve as a reminder to DxO that the Pentax part of their camera/lens profile library deserves some renewed attention. And there is still work to do: While I trust that they won't overlook the new HD PENTAX-DFA* 85mm F1.4 ED SDM AW, there aren't yet dedicated modules for the recent reissues HD PENTAX-FA 35mm F2 AL and HD PENTAX-DA Fish-Eye 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (both have been the subject of several lens module suggestion forms I have sent). Plus, I noticed that the vignetting compensation in the existing module for the smc PENTAX-DA Fish-Eye 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 overshoots so that you end up with "dodged" corners, unless you take back the intensity of the correction to about 25%. Wouldn't be surprised if their testing/calibration regime struggled with the extreme FOV of fisheye lenses.

Will attend to these matters as soon as I can, but currently I have to balance them with the requirements of my day-to-day job.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 08-17-2020 at 09:17 AM.
09-24-2020, 06:44 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just received an email notification about the respective thread over on DxO Forums where DxO staffer Marie writes,

"Hello,

we will support this lens (i.e. the 55-300 PLM) for the end of the year.

Regards,
Marie"

In its original context: Still no lens module for HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - really? - Which feature do you need? - DxO Forums

Should we really get our lens module after all?

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 09-24-2020 at 06:55 AM.
09-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #48
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Great news. Thanks for passing this on.
09-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Great news. Thanks for passing this on.
Great news

09-24-2020, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just received an email notification about the respective thread over on DxO Forums where DxO staffer Marie writes,

"Hello,

we will support this lens (i.e. the 55-300 PLM) for the end of the year.

Regards,
Marie"

In its original context: Still no lens module for HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - really? - Which feature do you need? - DxO Forums

Time will tell, thanks for passing this along. Marc. You have done a great job with this....many thanks.
12-09-2020, 01:20 PM - 5 Likes   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Larry has alerted me that the PLM correction module is now available in DxO PhotoLab v4.1.0 Build 4467.

It would seem DxO has kept its promise to come up with such a module till the end of the year. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to check whether the corrections make sense, given that I don't own the PLM.

At least, the news may indicate that DxO does react if we play the long game and insist on modules for lenses that somehow have slipped under their radar.

I would like to thank all of you guys here on PF who helped to increase the pressure on DxO's own forum for some action.

Of course, some gaps with regard to Pentax correction modules still remain, but who knows, maybe we can get some more of those filled ...
12-09-2020, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #52
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Larry has alerted me that the PLM correction module is now available in DxO PhotoLab v4.1.0 Build 4467.

It would seem DxO has kept its promise to come up with such a module till the end of the year. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to check whether the corrections make sense, given that I don't own the PLM.

At least, the news may indicate that DxO does react if we play the long game and insist on modules for lenses that somehow have slipped under their radar.

I would like to thank all of you guys here on PF who helped to increase the pressure on DxO's own forum for some action.

Of course, some gaps with regard to Pentax correction modules still remain, but who knows, maybe we can get some more of those filled ...
Yes it's a great result. Well done to you Marc and to Larry and everyone else who added their voice to the chorus.

There is now fairly comprehensive coverage of DA and DFA lenses. The only gaps I can see in those ranges are the DA 560 f5.6, DFA*85mm f1.4 and the DFA 70-210 f4. Perhaps we need to raise those ones with DxO?

The coverage of FA lenses is patchy: the three Limiteds, 35 f2 (HD version), 50 f1.4, 28-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8. It doesn't seem likely that DxO would add modules for other FA lenses like the FA*300 f4.5 which have been out of production for more than 15 years.

Popular Sigma and Tamron models are well covered, although the Sigma 50-500 (Bigma) is one obvious omission (curious because the last version of the 150-500 is covered). I guess we are not likely to see any new models in K-mount from those manufacturers, unfortunately.

That leaves the Laowa, Samyang and Mitakon lenses that Marc listed above.

Any others?

Last edited by Des; 12-10-2020 at 01:42 PM.
12-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #53
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Note that in its list of modules (Supported Cameras - DxO) DxO says that the HD-DA 55-300mm f4.5-6.3 PLM is now supported from PhotoLab 3.0.0. You don't need the update to the latest build of PL4 to install the modules for the PLM - I downloaded and installed them (for the K-3, KP and K-S2) in the previous build and they work!

In fact there are modules even for cameras that don't support KAF4, such as the K10D, K-7 and K-5. If you are using the 55-300 PLM with one of those, shooting wide open with manual focus, PL4 has you covered!

That leaves a question about versions older than PL3. I have PL2 on an old laptop, so I tried going through the Optics Module installer in that program. The PLM module is not available.

I then tried copying the modules for the PLM (K-3, KP and K-S2) which I had downloaded in PL4 and putting them in the modules folder for PL2. When I reopened PL2, it listed the modules for those cameras and the PLM amongst the installed modules, but when I opened some PLM images taken with the KP, they were shown as taken with an unsupported lens.

So if you have Optics Pro, or PL1 or PL2, it appears you are out of luck, unless someone can work out a hack.
12-10-2020, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The coverage of FA lenses is patchy: the three Limiteds, 35 f2 (HD version), 50 f1.4, 28-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8.

Unfortunately, there is no direct support for the HD PENTAX-FA 35 F2, which has been around since 2019, only for the older smc version. I suspect coatings will have some effect on chromatic aberrations, even if that may be small. Besides, we have separate modules for the HD and smc versions of the classic DA 55-300s and various other lenses, so why not in this case? As a serious but affordable 35-mil option for both FF and APS-C, the HD FA is not exactly a rare lens, one should think.
12-10-2020, 07:59 AM - 2 Likes   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately, there is no direct support for the HD PENTAX-FA 35 F2, which has been around since 2019, only for the older smc version. I suspect coatings will have some effect on chromatic aberrations, even if that may be small. Besides, we have separate modules for the HD and smc versions of the classic DA 55-300s and various other lenses, so why not in this case? As a serious but affordable 35-mil option for both FF and APS-C, the HD FA is not exactly a rare lens, one should think.
That’s an excellent point. I agree.
12-11-2020, 04:09 AM - 3 Likes   #56
Forum Member

Thanks to DXO for a profile for the HD Pentax 55-300mm PLM. It took some time, but the result is good.

---------- Post added 12-11-2020 at 04:12 AM ----------

So if you have Optics Pro, or PL1 or PL2, it appears you are out of luck, unless someone can work out a hack.
The best hack is to buy an update and thus support the people who make it.
12-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That leaves a question about versions older than PL3. I have PL2 on an old laptop, so I tried going through the Optics Module installer in that program. The PLM module is not available.
I tried to find it from inside PL3, first through the "Install new optical modules" dialog from the menu, then by opening some PLM images, but no luck either way. I did purchase the upgrade to PL4, but haven't installed it yet. I had pushed it back until I had refreshed my backups, which I vastly accelerated before installing Cyberpunk 2077, which occupies most of my free time now Perhaps when I've lost interest in that, the module will roll out to my PL3 version
12-11-2020, 09:44 PM   #58
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sindbad1 Quote
The best hack is to buy an update and thus support the people who make it.
I agree with the sentiment, but people who paid good money for, say, PL2 might think part of the deal was getting access to new camera/lens modules as they were released.
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I tried to find it from inside PL3, first through the "Install new optical modules" dialog from the menu, then by opening some PLM images, but no luck either way.
That's disappointing. But you will like PL4, especially for processing high-ISO images with DeepPrime. That is, if you can drag yourself away from Cyberpunk!
12-12-2020, 06:23 AM   #59

Same here, don't see it yet in PL3. I wanted to finish processing pictures from one trip before purchasing and migrating to PL4, but the optics module would be useful...

I think there could be some results with trying to push on the forum for some of the popular recent lenses, but discontinued FA lenses will be difficult, especially as they have to have them physically. Then of course some of the FA (like the 35mm) are still available, so there might be a case. But I guess there is a need for coordinated effort from the forum members just like in the case of 55-300 PLM.
12-14-2020, 04:09 PM - 3 Likes   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm normally a strong supporter of backwards compatibility, and I have no affiliation to DxO apart from having happily used their software since 2015, but to me it's clear as day: PhotoLab 4 with the introduction of DeepPrime is the most significant upgrade to their trademark RAW converter since they introduced their Prime noise reduction with OpticsPro 9. Your photography deserves it. Go out and get it, apply it to your files, and make them sing. And sooner or later, together, we will get them to fill those gaps in the correction modules.

Despite all the work that remains to be done, DxO deserves some credit for keeping off-Adobe RAW processing alive for all these years.They survived chapter-11 bankruptcy, they rescued and have begun evolving the Nik Collection, integrating its U-point technology into their PhotoLab, and so much more. And along the way, they have helped us unlock the magic of our Pentax DNG and PEF files. We've enjoyed their support, and, hey, from time to time, they need our support to carry on, too. Just my two bits.