Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2021, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #61

Photos: Gallery
DXO needs for a new camera or a new lens a new module for the software (measurements based), to make full advantage of the software. DXO does that based on user requests.

Would you mind, requesting the K-3 III to be added, even if you don't use the software?

The corresponding Link: Suggest Module - DxO

Thank You

04-30-2021, 11:20 PM - 2 Likes   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great idea to signal some demand, Ulrich. Just entered the K-3 III as a camera suggestion. (Although, to give DxO the benefit of the doubt, I find it hard to believe that they would ignore a flagship release like this, even if its from a niche player like Ricoh. But who knows, let's play it safe.)
06-04-2021, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
DXO needs for a new camera or a new lens a new module for the software (measurements based), to make full advantage of the software. DXO does that based on user requests.

Would you mind, requesting the K-3 III to be added, even if you don't use the software?

The corresponding Link: Suggest Module - DxO

Thank You
I just did and got this auto-response "Good news, roadmap expects camera for 2021‑10 (in / DxO PhotoLab)." I hope they put it in PhotoLab 3 as well as 4, otherwise, I will have to get a new computer too!
01-10-2022, 03:54 PM   #64

I noticed that when I use the DA*300mm with the 1.4x TC that DxO 5 says that "no optics module is available" - I guess they never tested with the teleconverter. Sigh.

01-11-2022, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote
I noticed that when I use the DA*300mm with the 1.4x TC that DxO 5 says that "no optics module is available" - I guess they never tested with the teleconverter. Sigh.
I’ve never noticed that on other lenses but I’ve not used the tc lately since the dxo5 update. I’ll need to check results with my lenses.
01-11-2022, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote
Yeah, that's a pity, almost a reason to not even use the TC at all when files taken without it can look better because of the lens profiles being applied with no work needed.
01-11-2022, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Yeah, that's a pity, almost a reason to not even use the TC at all when files taken without it can look better because of the lens profiles being applied with no work needed.
I turn off lens correction in the camera to speed it up a bit. Then the software can fix anything it likes while I concentrate on other aspects of the post processing. But I guess the DA*300mm doesn't need much correction anyway.

As an aside DxO 5 responds really well in the new M1 Mac mini with 16gb. DxO 4 really sucked in my old Mac mini.

04-10-2022, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay, I have just renewed my efforts to help bring about a little more progress on the lens module front by posting this thread on the DxO Forums:

1 yr after release, Pentax K-3 III still without key lens support - Which feature do you need? - DxO Forums

As usual, if you want to become part of this effort, you can do so by both up-voting that thread and by individually posting lens module suggestions on the DxO site.

Don't even own a K-3 III yet, nor probably will for considerable time, but hey, those modules usually filter down to older models like my K-3 too.
04-15-2022, 01:32 PM   #69

K-3 iii is supported since quite a whole.
04-15-2022, 01:48 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Okay, I have just renewed my efforts to help bring about a little more progress on the lens module front by posting this thread on the DxO Forums:

1 yr after release, Pentax K-3 III still without key lens support - Which feature do you need? - DxO Forums

As usual, if you want to become part of this effort, you can do so by both up-voting that thread and by individually posting lens module suggestions on the DxO site.

Don't even own a K-3 III yet, nor probably will for considerable time, but hey, those modules usually filter down to older models like my K-3 too.
I use DxO PhotoLab 5.x, perhaps not my first choice every time, but fairly often. There's not yet been a K3III and Pentax lens combo that wasn't recognized. I do use mostly KAF4 lenses so perhaps there's old ones that aren't yet supported?
DxO Supported Cameras & Lenses
04-15-2022, 03:11 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I use DxO PhotoLab 5.x, perhaps not my first choice every time, but fairly often. There's not yet been a K3III and Pentax lens combo that wasn't recognized. I do use mostly KAF4 lenses so perhaps there's old ones that aren't yet supported?

Er, how about
  • HD PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE 10-17mm 1:3.5-4.5 ED
  • HD Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8ED PLM AW
  • HD PENTAX-FA 1:2 35mm
  • HD PENTAX-FA 1:1.8 31mm AL Limited
  • HD PENTAX-FA 1:1.9 43mm Limited
  • HD PENTAX-FA 1:1.8 77mm Limited
  • HD PENTAX-D FA 1:2.4 21mm ED Limited DC WR
So, they'd have quite a few recent lenses to catch up with. I know some of those are FF, but the first two are not, and the DA* 16-50 PLM is a pretty glaring omission in my book.
04-15-2022, 03:43 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter

Er, how about
  • HD PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE 10-17mm 1:3.5-4.5 ED
  • HD Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8ED PLM AW
  • HD PENTAX-FA 1:2 35mm
  • HD PENTAX-FA 1:1.8 31mm AL Limited
  • HD PENTAX-FA 1:1.9 43mm Limited
  • HD PENTAX-FA 1:1.8 77mm Limited
  • HD PENTAX-D FA 1:2.4 21mm ED Limited DC WR
So, they'd have quite a few recent lenses to catch up with. I know some of those are FF, but the first two are not, and the DA* 16-50 PLM is a pretty glaring omission in my book.
Thanks! Apparently, I've not used any of those particular camera/lens combos yet with DxO. Agreed there are some glaring omissions, with the 16-50PLM being the most obvious. The others I could probably live without. Well, I guess I obviously have, but I'm sure you know what I meant.
10-02-2022, 05:53 AM - 4 Likes   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally, there's some good news from the lens profile front.

On the DxO Forum, staffer Marie has listed five HD Pentax lenses among the profile calibrations planned for October/November:
  • HD Pentax- DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED PLM AW
  • HD Pentax-D FA 21mm F2.4 ED Limited DC WR
  • HD Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 Limited
  • HD Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
  • HD Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
Here's the thread link for those interested: DxO PhotoLab - New Optic Modules released and Cameras & Lenses support (14 September 2022 update) - #134 by KevDoc - News and announcements - DxO Forums

So far, it's only the announcement of plans, but as battle-hardened Pentaxians, we're grateful for what we're getting, aren't we?

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-03-2022 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Spelling.
10-02-2022, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #74
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Finally, there's some good news from the lens profile front.On the DxO Forum, staffer Marie has listed five HD Pentax lenses among the profile calibrations planned for Oktober/November:
I'm sure your efforts have helped Marc. Well done.
10-03-2022, 03:50 AM - 3 Likes   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I'm sure your efforts have helped Marc. Well done.

Thanks for your kind words, Des. I've always seen this as a team effort, easily as our signatures as Pentaxians would be overlooked on DxO's busy radar if we didn't amplify them now and then by acting together - like you just did in the thread on the DxO Forum. I guess I wouldn't invest so much energy if I didn't know how PhotoLab can make our Pentax DNG's shine, and if it wasn't so much fun editing in it.

Shot this morning, utilizing ambient light, K-3 at ISO's 5000 and 4000, respectively. These shouldn't look all that great, but processed to taste in PL5, they didn't come out half as bad:

Otherwise, let's not rest too much on our laurels. After all, the fight goes on.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-03-2022 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Sample photos added.