Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Exif stripping

All the discussions in the monthly contest made me look at my own exif data and it is not there! I shoot raw, process in Lightroom (version 2 now) mostly, export to flickr using Jeffery Friedl plug-in and use that to import into pentaxforums. Some photos I do more processing in Photoshop elements. Looking in flickr all of my exif is gone. how do I maintain it and keep int he photos here?

09-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I pre-process in Pentax Photo Lab (I know - pretty bad) and extract a jpeg there. Touch up in Elements and upload to pbase; I LINK from pbase to PentaxForums. For some reason my EXIF gets stripped when I upload to the PF Gallery and link from there.
09-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

In the LR Export window make sure you don't have Minimize Embedded Metadata chosen, and in your Flickr account there is an option in Privacy & Security to keep or hide the EXIF data of the images uploaded.
09-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

One at a time. Before you upload the files to Flickr, are your EXIF data intact?

09-02-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You might also want to check what version of the flickr photo you're looking at. Anything but the original sized photo has the exif stripped, i.e. the square, thumbnail, small and medium versions of the photo on flickr will not have the exif.
09-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In LR the exif is still there. And yes I almost always use the medium version in flickr when I trasnfer to pentaxforums. I'll check the export and flickr settings tonight.
09-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've noticed that the flickr software strips the exif for all versions of uploaded shots other than the "original".
Purely speculative here, but I suspect this is due to them using embedded functions (e.g. imageCreateFromJpeg() in PHP) rather than system calls to ImageMagick/convert when they build the small/medium/large versions of the photos uploaded.