Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm looking for a Mac based photo storage application

For years I used iPhoto to download and store photos. That quickly proved to be a pain and insufficient. Then I switched to Google photos and have been pretty happy since all my photography has been jpg and 35mm film developed by thedarkroom.com and downloaded as jpg scans.

Now that I'm getting my first high quality DSLR (K-70), I want to start shooting RAW. Do any of you have recommendations for a good, stable, and efficient application for the Mac that I can download and store my files to? I've already downloaded Darktable and will try learning how to develop RAW images with that. I'm assuming it would be best to have a separate application to download off the memory card and store, and then use Darktable for developing.

03-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The latest version of Apple Photos is quite good. Especially if your not doing any fancy paintbrush editing like in Lightroom or Photoshop. I have an old Mac connected as a file server via 5.6GHz wifi and I'm quite happy with the responsiveness. I also do iMovie with this set-up - also happy with the responsiveness. So I import with photos and movies with Photos and iMovie directly to the Mac file server and the Mac has its won backup drive - about 1 or 2 terabyte.
03-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom?
03-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Lightroom?
I know very little about Lightroom, or Darktable, or any other photo processing applications. Do you download your memory cards directly into Lightroom and use Lightroom as your storage/file management application in addition to using it to process/edit your photos?

03-04-2018, 09:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
Do you download your memory cards directly into Lightroom and use Lightroom as your storage/file management application in addition to using it to process/edit your photos?
Correct. It is really the gold standard for photographic developing and management. The program most others attempt to emulate. That said, it is only available as a subscription @$10 per month. I honestly cannot see working without it. But its not for everyone and Darktable and others are getting closer.

I suggest you research Lightroom, even if not interested, to see what it does. Then you can judge the other programs based on Lightroom's feature set.
04-17-2018, 05:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
For years I used iPhoto to download and store photos. That quickly proved to be a pain and insufficient. Then I switched to Google photos and have been pretty happy since all my photography has been jpg and 35mm film developed by thedarkroom.com and downloaded as jpg scans.

Now that I'm getting my first high quality DSLR (K-70), I want to start shooting RAW. Do any of you have recommendations for a good, stable, and efficient application for the Mac that I can download and store my files to? I've already downloaded Darktable and will try learning how to develop RAW images with that. I'm assuming it would be best to have a separate application to download off the memory card and store, and then use Darktable for developing.
Just adding in! I myself am new to this whole digital photography thing, getting back in after 50 years! I purchased Paintshop Pro Ultimate and it came with After Shot, you may want to look at it as it is a license purchase and not an ongoing subscription. Raw editor and lists support for most Pentax cameras, I myself have a K-70.
RAW Photo Editing Software & Raw Converter - Corel AfterShot Pro 3

Should have said, supports Windows & Mac!

Last edited by SharkyCA; 04-17-2018 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Update
04-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

Do you need a editor/RAW converter and DAM (Digital Asset Manager) or just a Asset Manager.
Editor/RAW converter options:
Lightroom - requires a monthly subscription.
Adobe Phtotoshop Elements - standalone system not as powerful feature rich as Adobe subscription (Lightroom/Photoshop)
Capture One - Expensive to start off - somewhat limited in support of Pentax cameras.
Media Pro SE - Phase One's (i.e. Capture One's parent company) DAM support - no real editor.
My favorite combination - Capture One and Affinity Photo with Media Pro as a post processed image DAM.
Most of the other image processors are limited in their DAM applications.
Note: I use a Windows based PC, so the Mac environment is not my forte, but Raw Therapee, the Corel products and other systems like DarkTable etc. might fit your needs. You might want to look around here and see what other software some of the members are looking at, plus spending some quality time on bingle (Bing/Google) to narrow down your selection.

04-18-2018, 04:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I should point out that if you have a Mac then you probably have Photos but you have to enable the advanced features to get the pro editing tools. Otherwise you may think its really too basic. Check online how to do this.
04-18-2018, 05:26 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Luminar by Skylum is getting DAM this year. I'm hoping it will be in the June update...

Luminar 2018 - The Best Photo Editing Software for Mac & PC | Skylum (ex-Macphun)
04-18-2018, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I have to bookmark this thread just in case of the possibility Aperture will stop working.

I've been using it 12 years and counting.
Too bad they didn't just hand it out for free on a "use at your own risk" basis when they discontinued it.

I tried to get it for my grandson by installing Aperture 2 on his MacBook Pro to create file that could be upgraded, but couldn't get it to load. I just installed it on my new macBook Pro and it works fine, although it will be only used while I'm travelling.