Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2018, 03:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Processing on Tablets

Hi.
Can anyone recommend a good tablet. I am looking at the huawei media pad m3 lite, Android 7, 32gb, 3gb ram, micro sd card slot, £200

I am still new to the world of photography (2years) and have been using an old iPad and snapseed to process photos. I know it is not professional but right now it does for me. It is quick and easy to use which is good as my brain is still overwhelmed by the science of capturing the picture. My iPad was fine if a little stretched when processing files from my K30 but now I have moved up to the K3 it cannot cope, so, I need a new tablet. Portability is important otherwise I would just use my Lappy. I have DXO on that but haven’t worked it out yet. When I travel I like to upload my days shots to my iPad, delete the rubbish and save the ones with promise. I do have the option of remotely uploading them to storage at my home but that would probably exceed fair usage policy. So, has anyone found anything that is frankly too good to miss?

03-06-2018, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is much chatter on this topic. I have refrained from investing in tablet photo editing until now due to the limitations. I believe that nothing short of the iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen or comparable windows surface is the go. I have paired the iPad Pro with affinity photo. The below link is an example of photo editing using this combo.

FF comparison: k15mm aspherical vs k15mm non-asp vs FA20mm - PentaxForums.com

I processed raw images from the k-1, cropped and exported with ease. Not a cheap setup though.
03-06-2018, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While traveling I am using a surface pro 4 with Lightroom Classic.
Its a beautiful touch screen. The device is limited in connection ports but has robust wireless connectivity. It struggles a wee bit with k-1 RAW files.... IMO get the most ram you can afford.
03-06-2018, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want to use Android, you're pretty much out of luck - there is nothing with the power to be usable and apps are limited. For Windows, only the Surface Pro is up to it, but you can get a high-end laptop for that money and I would personally rather the versatility and power than the convenience. Same goes for the iPad, spend the same on a laptop and you will get way more for your money and not be restricted by fixed RAM and storage, limited connectivity and the whole closed system thing...although some might like that.

03-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
There is much chatter on this topic. I have refrained from investing in tablet photo editing until now due to the limitations. I believe that nothing short of the iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen or comparable windows surface is the go. I have paired the iPad Pro with affinity photo. The below link is an example of photo editing using this combo.

FF comparison: k15mm aspherical vs k15mm non-asp vs FA20mm - PentaxForums.com

I processed raw images from the k-1, cropped and exported with ease. Not a cheap setup though.
Affinity is getting some very good press and the mobile version is only £20 at the moment.
03-06-2018, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
If you want to use Android, you're pretty much out of luck - there is nothing with the power to be usable and apps are limited.
This is not true if you are subscribed to Adobe's photographic plan for Lightroom and Photoshop. I'm currently using a Samsung 7" Android tablet to edit my photographs in Lightroom CC (previously Lightroom Mobile) when I'm out and about. A 7" tablet is small but usable. A larger tablet would be better, but I chose this size because it fits in a number of my camera bags. All my edits in the Android version of Lightroom CC show up on my desktop.
03-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Do you need to store everything on the tablet from the day? If so something like a Surface is probably much more flexible imo. For me, I just pick a couple I would like to post to share immediately, send them to my phone (Android) and edit in snapseed. It can handle DNG just fine.

03-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Do you need to store everything on the tablet from the day? If so something like a Surface is probably much more flexible imo. For me, I just pick a couple I would like to post to share immediately, send them to my phone (Android) and edit in snapseed. It can handle DNG just fine.
I will be storing stuff for the duration of the holiday, that is why the option of a micro SD is so interesting I also know you can use pen drives as additional storage on android tablets. The problem with the surface is the cost. I will probably clear my memory card every day, force of habit and paranoia I also like to review each evening, once again, habit. Also, an android tablet means I can share the odd photo on WhatsApp. Re. processing options, we do have snapseed and Photoshop express (free) affinity (£20) and Photoshop so android is fairly well served in the processing department. I also find that a touchscreen is easier to handle than a trackpad (personal preference) so I would currently rather process on a tablet than on my laptop. OK, there are downsides but sadly money dictates. Regarding the cost, there is a good Asus 10" with 4gb ram for £270, the huawei is £200 and that has 3gb so the price is right, I just have to decide which one.

Edit. You can't get affinity, looks like that is just for iPads. Bu**er

Last edited by Cerebum; 03-06-2018 at 04:49 PM.
03-07-2018, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I have used an iPad for years. It does a decent enough job although I much prefer the large screen of a monitor so my tablet use is mostly for viewing and quick edits while away form home. I think the best choices currently are either the iPad Pro or the Microsoft Surface. The iPad Retina screen is awesome and the new ones are even better than my old one. The Photos app recognizes RAW shots and there is also a Lightroom app. I also own a Samsung Galaxy Tab and IMO it's nothing more than a toy. I don't have much good to say about Android anyhow. Verizon was giving away the Samsung tablets with an iPhone 8 purchase back in December. I really tried to like it and give it a chance because my iPad is 5 years old. It's now back in the box and will likely become a birthday or Christmas present.