Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 09:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Printer for Windows 10 OS

Needing to purchase a new printer. Would be grateful for your suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

03-10-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. Ed Quote
Needing to purchase a new printer. Would be grateful for your suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.
Ed,
a) Whatʻs your budget?
b) Mostly for photographic prints or text?
c) Mostly color or is good B&W prints important?
d) Whatʻs the max size you want to print?
e) How important is speed? Is this going to be used at events or just in your home/office?
03-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Ed,
a) Whatʻs your budget?
b) Mostly for photographic prints or text?
c) Mostly color or is good B&W prints important?
d) Whatʻs the max size you want to print?
e) How important is speed? Is this going to be used at events or just in your home/office?
Would like good photographic capabilities, mostly color. I don't ever print any larger than 8 x 10 (don't have that capability) but probably more 5 x 7 & 4 x 6. Do have the need to print text on occasion and the scanning ability on my old printer was handy. Speed is not a problem as I am usually printing one of photo and text is really not an issue. I probably need something that is an all in one but I really would like an excellent photographic printer as well. Would like to spend no more the $500 but I have been known to push my budget.
03-10-2018, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An all in one would probably do you just fine. I have one for general printing so I’m not using my large format printer for everything. I have the Epson Workforce Pro WF-4630 around $225. It’s only 3 color plus black but does good prints up to 8X10. I had an HP 6 color all in one but it died last year.

03-10-2018, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would like good photographic capabilities, mostly color. I don't ever print any larger than 8 x 10 (don't have that capability) but probably more 5 x 7 & 4 x 6. Do have the need to print text on occasion and the scanning ability on my old printer was handy. Speed is not a problem as I am usually printing one of photo and text is really not an issue. I probably need something that is an all in one but I really would like an excellent photographic printer as well. Would like to spend no more the $500 but I have been known to push my budget.
My top choice for your budget and needs would be the Epson Expression Photo XP-8500 Small-In-One Inkjet Printer for $200. Iʻve been using both entry-level Epson All-in-One inkjet printers (on sale for $50 at Walmart or Target) to printer only models like the Epson SureColor P800 to even their large format (44" roll paper) and have been very happy with their reliability, quality, and availability of many different paper types and sizes.

The six color Epson Claria ink is excellent and as is true with every inkjet printer, the printer is cheap relative to the overall cost youʻll be putting into ink cartridges. So coming $300 under budget should go to good inkjet paper (I like Epson Ultra Premium Luster) and a supply of cartridges. Note that youʻll burn through black, light magenta, and light cyan 2-3x faster than cyan, magenta, and yellow.

To really get the best black and white, however, youʻll want a nine color printer that includes light black, light light black, and matte black. However, these are usually not "all-in-one" with a scanner and are dedicated printers only. Iʻd highly recommend the Epson SureColor P600 which has a mail-in rebated ending March 31 so you can get it for $550.
Epson SureColor P600 Inkjet Printer C11CE21201 B&H Photo Video

95% of all printers these days are Windows and Mac compatible, so I wouldnʻt worry about that. Many people swear by Canon and HP inkjet printers, but at home and at school, I have used Epsons going back over 10 years that still work fine and have never needed repair.
03-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't ever print any larger than 8 x 10 (don't have that capability)
Would you print larger if you did have the capability? I never printed larger than A4 until I got an A3+ printer, now I do it a lot.
03-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got the Canon Pixma Pro 100 from Adorama for a net cost of $69. It's a $400 photo printer. If the deal is still on, you get $50 of free 13x19" paper, a $250 cash card and an additional discount at checkout. You have to send in a rebate form for the $250 American Express cash card. Initial prints are great.

03-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My top choice for your budget and needs would be the Epson Expression Photo XP-8500 Small-In-One Inkjet Printer for $200. Iʻve been using both entry-level Epson All-in-One inkjet printers (on sale for $50 at Walmart or Target) to printer only models like the Epson SureColor P800 to even their large format (44" roll paper) and have been very happy with their reliability, quality, and availability of many different paper types and sizes.

The six color Epson Claria ink is excellent and as is true with every inkjet printer, the printer is cheap relative to the overall cost youʻll be putting into ink cartridges. So coming $300 under budget should go to good inkjet paper (I like Epson Ultra Premium Luster) and a supply of cartridges. Note that youʻll burn through black, light magenta, and light cyan 2-3x faster than cyan, magenta, and yellow.

To really get the best black and white, however, youʻll want a nine color printer that includes light black, light light black, and matte black. However, these are usually not "all-in-one" with a scanner and are dedicated printers only. Iʻd highly recommend the Epson SureColor P600 which has a mail-in rebated ending March 31 so you can get it for $550.
Epson SureColor P600 Inkjet Printer C11CE21201 B&H Photo Video

95% of all printers these days are Windows and Mac compatible, so I wouldnʻt worry about that. Many people swear by Canon and HP inkjet printers, but at home and at school, I have used Epsons going back over 10 years that still work fine and have never needed repair.
Thanks for the input. I am looking at the XP960 as the size looks small enough and the capabilities are all I need. Only slightly more than the XP8500 and there is a instant savings at this time at B&H. After further investigation, appears the 8500 is more compact than the 960. Picture of the 960 appeared to be shorter and more sleek but that was not the case.

Last edited by Mr. Ed; 03-11-2018 at 12:00 PM.
03-11-2018, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the input. I am looking at the XP960 as the size looks small enough and the capabilities are all I need. Only slightly more than the XP8500 and there is a instant savings at this time at B&H. After further investigation, appears the 8500 is more compact than the 960. Picture of the 960 appeared to be shorter and more sleek but that was not the case.
Yes, the XP960 and XP8500 are very similar in specs and are both excellent choices if youʻre not picky about B&W prints. Donʻt trust the photos; as youʻve done, trust the dimensions on the specs tab.

---------- Post added 03-11-18 at 02:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Would you print larger if you did have the capability? I never printed larger than A4 until I got an A3+ printer, now I do it a lot.
Thatʻs a good point. In my Photo II course, we print A3+ as our standard size.

The only thing problematic Iʻve found is the A3+ is approximately 13x19" which is not a standard size in the US (11x14" or 16x20") and thus framing, or at least the matting, needs to be customized. We cut our own mat frames, so for us, itʻs a good learning experience. Have photos mounted, matted, and framed commercially is expensive. DIY, especially if youʻre doing a set of images or selling your work, is a fraction of the commercial cost if you have access to a decent mat cutter.
03-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The only thing problematic Iʻve found is the A3+ is approximately 13x19" which is not a standard size in the US (11x14" or 16x20") and thus framing, or at least the matting, needs to be customized..
Well, a simple cutter and ruler is cheap enough and it's a fairly easy process once you get some practice. A large commercial quality cutter is a very pricey overkill for the occasional persoan frame.

An even simpler alternative is to print the largest standard size you can and trim the print - you can get an 18x12 easily, which is a fairly standard size, and is still much larger than A4. Either way, you at least have options with a larger format printer that you don't with an A4.
03-12-2018, 10:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The only thing problematic Iʻve found is the A3+ is approximately 13x19" which is not a standard size in the US (11x14" or 16x20") and thus framing, or at least the matting, needs to be customized. We cut our own mat frames, so for us, itʻs a good learning experience. Have photos mounted, matted, and framed commercially is expensive. DIY, especially if youʻre doing a set of images or selling your work, is a fraction of the commercial cost if you have access to a decent mat cutter.
You can find 13x19" frames at Michael's stores. Once you use their coupons they can be fairly inexpensive. But still not as cheap as the 11x14" or 11x17" frames.
03-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
You can find 13x19" frames at Michael's stores. Once you use their coupons they can be fairly inexpensive. But still not as cheap as the 11x14" or 11x17" frames.
Thanks....but the nearest Michaelʻs is about 2600 miles from me.
03-13-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dmoran Quote
I just got the Canon Pixma Pro 100 from Adorama for a net cost of $69. It's a $400 photo printer. If the deal is still on, you get $50 of free 13x19" paper, a $250 cash card and an additional discount at checkout. You have to send in a rebate form for the $250 American Express cash card. Initial prints are great.
I really wanted that Canon and with the rebates it is a really good deal. My problem is I really need to be able to copy/scan occasionally. I went with the Epson XP 8500.