Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2018, 06:14 AM   #1

Bleach bypass

I'm new to the forum - hoping to find a way out of a mistake I made on a recent trip to Big Bend. I have a K-3, and save in jpeg, not RAW. Somehow during my trip i managed to change a setting to Bleach Bypass. i did not notice this for nearly two days on the Rio Grande, and have about 300 photos that most certainly do not want the Bleach Bypass effect. Is there anyway within the camera, or via external software, to undo this special effect - to return the jpeg image to Natural or Bright? Thank you!

03-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The only way I know of to alter colors enough to get near normal from a Bleach shot is to use L*A*B adjustments. L*A*B allows you to manipulate the Red/Green, Blue/Yellow color channels separately. Not all programs have the option and you won't learn it over night. For 300 images you'd probably need to save you settings and apply to each one.

The ACDSEE programs have an advanced color tool where you can manipulate colors with sliders. I've never tried them on an image that needs such a change so YMMV.

Good Luck
03-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Once that JPEG data is saved, there's no way to un-save it.

Bleach bypass (which is intended to replicate the special effects of bypassing the bleach step in traditional E-6 film processing) is a pretty harsh look. You might be able to tone down the results by manipulating colour and contrast in Photoshop or similar software, but without a raw file, there's no way to go back to a normal shot.
03-16-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
P.S. there's a book out there that details L*A*B adjustments. It's for Photoshop. The only 2 programs that I know of that give you easy Access to L*A*B adjustments are PS or Corel Photo Paint. Paint Shop Pro can but it's a serious PITA.

03-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I recently had an occurrence on my K-3 when the custom setting went from "bright" to "cross-processing' three times in a single day. Fortunately I was shooting in RAW as well as JPEG. Not sure how it happened, but I don't think that we need to be able to change to these exotic types of settings from the four-way controller on the back of the K-3. For me there's too high a risk of an "accident", and I would rather have it as something I access though the menu. Even so, I don't think I would ever take 300 shots without checking the images from time to time on the LCD monior.
03-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you didn’t shoot RAW as well then you are stuck with the files processed this way.

Best you could do now is play with one to adjust it as best you can, and then save the details to batch change the rest in bulk. That’s pretty easy in something like lightroom software.

You won’t be able to recover overexposed highlights etc, but could at least warm it up, increase the shadows and a lower the contrast etc.
03-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for quick replies. Doesn't sound like an easy fix for me, unfortunately. Perhaps a hard lesson that will push me towards shooting RAW...

03-17-2018, 06:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
I recently had an occurrence on my K-3 when the custom setting went from "bright" to "cross-processing' three times in a single day. Fortunately I was shooting in RAW as well as JPEG. Not sure how it happened, but I don't think that we need to be able to change to these exotic types of settings from the four-way controller on the back of the K-3. For me there's too high a risk of an "accident", and I would rather have it as something I access though the menu. Even so, I don't think I would ever take 300 shots without checking the images from time to time on the LCD monior.
There is an easy way to do what you want........just keep the focus point selection active and you have to press the Change AF Point/Card slot switch button to access custom settings if you don't keep the focus point selection active then its very easy to accidentally change the custom selections as well as many other shooting selections.

Larry