Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2018, 12:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

I learned the hard way!

When I first got into digital photography.... and the post processing that would follow, I made the dumb mistake of deleting the originals once I had edited them and had what I THOUGHT was a good finished product. What a goofy thing to do!

Now, I create a folder with the day's images, give it a name.... and within THAT folder, there will be 2 sub-folders labeled, "PP," and "Originals." I'm OC about organizational matters and I've developed a system that's almost fool proof, making it quite easy to retrieve just about any photo I've ever taken. Usually!

03-23-2018, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got a stupid story of my own

2 days ago, I went out for a few photo in snow and later rain for like 8 hours. I came back with handful of keeper which makes me really happy.
Back at the warm and comfortable room, I try to transfer files from SD card to a computer. Make a cup of coffee, enjoy cookies while wait for the transferring
and.. I somehow select all folders in SD card then hit delete BEFORE it finishes transferring the files!
The system asks if I am sure I want to delete? I am again hit “Yes”! then go back to enjoy my coffee.

Notice it later when the computer said it cannot transfer the selected files because it doesn’t exist!!!
I has never done that, I always format it in camera after everything is done and usually several days or a week later.

At first, I loosed almost half of my photo from that day. Trying to use recovery tools to take back some of them, some corrupted beyond recovery. After all, I lose almost 1/3 of the images. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ [do not try multitracks after a long day of shooting!]

Anyway, I you want to try recovery deleted file, these 2 might come to handy.
https://recuva.en.softonic.com/
Pandora Recovery - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
03-23-2018, 02:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I always make at least 2 copies of my original raws:the first in a safe external HD and the second in my desktop. I import my pictures in Lightroom as copies and there I see the pictures and delete the most of them I don't like or don't think to develop. But some accident happens in ttansferring\organizing folders when once a year I label my folders in the HD .
03-23-2018, 03:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
When I first got into digital photography.... and the post processing that would follow, I made the dumb mistake of deleting the originals once I had edited them and had what I THOUGHT was a good finished product. What a goofy thing to do!

Now, I create a folder with the day's images, give it a name.... and within THAT folder, there will be 2 sub-folders labeled, "PP," and "Originals." I'm OC about organizational matters and I've developed a system that's almost fool proof, making it quite easy to retrieve just about any photo I've ever taken. Usually!
You're not alone.
My first overseas vacation with a digital camera was not only shot in JPG, but like you, I kept only the edited versions of images when I was done.
It was standard practice for me with almost everything I shot initially. I've gone back to find tons of tiny 1000pixel, or smaller, jpegs left behind. "More than large enough" for the day, but depressing to try to find something I can use now.

Of course, now I'm looking at getting another set of 6TB drives to hold all the excess raw files and .PSD files that I am afraid of deleting.
I keep a working drive. I also have a local backup drive. The files get backed up to offsite storage throughout the day.
And only after that is all done, do I clean my SD cards.

Last edited by amoringello; 03-23-2018 at 03:19 AM.
03-23-2018, 03:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep both the DNG and the PP'd JPG.
My raw files are prefixed KP<underscore><underscore> (eg KP__9999DNG) when I get to 9999 I change the prefix the KP<underscore> (eg KP_10000 and then (if I get there!) KP100000).
(I did the same when I had my K5)
When I PP the files, I maintain the file name and add a description, eg KP__9999 bridge on River Kwai.jpg.
I file the raw files in a different LR catalogue so I can readily re-PP if necessary.
On the other hand, Dewman, I have encountered your problem, before I started this system, and co-incidentally when my PP was worse than it is now.
03-23-2018, 03:20 AM   #6

If possible, I always leave a copy of the latest images on a renamed directory on the original SD card. They will be replaced on the next iteration.
I keep the original and two separate backups on storage. You really need 3 copies, because you have a risk of messing up when doing backup/restore operations.
03-24-2018, 04:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
You really need 3 copies, because you have a risk of messing up when doing backup/restore operations.
hehe, worse than that, if you house is robbed, freak electrical short destroys every hard drives connected the there power outlet (speaking from experience), or of a freak asteroid hits your block... you need an off site copy. Whether is be a paid service in the cloud, or you keep an backup drive in a drawer at work or friends house.

03-24-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
hehe, worse than that, if you house is robbed, freak electrical short destroys every hard drives connected the there power outlet (speaking from experience), or of a freak asteroid hits your block... you need an off site copy. Whether is be a paid service in the cloud, or you keep an backup drive in a drawer at work or friends house.

I always keep several 64GB flash drives on hand.... and keep at least duplicates of all my images on them. It's never failed me.... so far.
03-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
you need an off site copy
For sure, one of the storages is a rented server, or if my home server counts... a cloud
03-24-2018, 03:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I wanted image files to have a unique name. So i have written a software tool for suffixing guid to every file name. After copying the files to harddrive, first thing I do is run that tool. It changes all the names. That is one of the advantage of being s/w programmer.
Ex: _K3_2902_62aab992-1598-4426-bcec-039aafd5e9c5.jpg
_K3_2902_62aab992-1598-4426-bcec-039aafd5e9c5.dng
_K3_2902_62aab992-1598-4426-bcec-039aafd5e9c5.xmp
03-24-2018, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I travel, I have a routine at the end of the day. I take the days shots and download them onto my laptop. From there I make another copy onto an external hard drive. So between the memory cards, laptop and external drive I have four copies of the RAW files. It only take a few minutes. I got into this habit in my last job in field service. You can never have too many digital copies.