Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2018, 01:08 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Darktable 2.4.2 (Windows, Linux, etc)

Release darktable 2.4.2 released · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

04-01-2018, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did anyone else get an "arcade video game" start-up screen in darktable today? Had a good laugh (I'm using 2.4.2 on Ubuntu)
04-01-2018, 05:00 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Did anyone else get an "arcade video game" start-up screen in darktable today? (I'm using 2.4.2 on Ubuntu)
Yup. April fools Easter egg.

04-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have downloaded Darktable 2.4.2 and I am switching to it from RawTherapee. Previously I've used Aftershot Pro (crashes too much, camera support is too slow) and Pentax DCU 5.

I've only played with Darktable a little bit but I can already tell that I will uninstall RawTherapee soon, there's no reason for me to go to it anymore. The user interface is really simple and it is a more full-featured program that has a lot of things I've been missing:
-Clone/Heal (seriously, why doesn't RawTherapee have this??)
-Framing
-Watermark
-Masks and local adjustments (yes! I've missed this so much from Aftershot Pro). And you can mask different shapes, too!

The only thing missing was some nice film emulations like I have in RawTherapee... especially the XtransIII set by Stuart Sowerby which I liked a lot. I found out that someone ported them to Darktable and was pretty excited - but it turns out they don't work well in Darktable, overexposing by about 1.5 steps any picture that they touch. There was a 2nd release by someone who claimed that they fixed an underexposure (!!) problem with these styles and I thought I'd try them, but now I'm 2 1/2 steps over, it seems when I use them. So they got deleted.

So enter this guy called Joćo Almeida (online name t3mujin) who created a large number of film emulations for dark table that he uses for his professional work and made them available for everyone. And they're great! And all he does to achieve the look of the films is to use the tone curves, and the monochrome module for turning it into B&W.

I think I'm here to stay! And now... So much to learn...

04-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Darktable has only one flaw currently: its underlying raw converter, rawspeed, can not decode multi-frame images such as used in Pentax's pixelshift files. But for all other image types, it rocks. Check out the darktable tutorials on youtube. You will be amazed at what you can do using the parametric masks and the equalizer module.

Jack
04-24-2018, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

New version of darktable (2.4.3)

Release darktable 2.4.3 released · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub
05-27-2018, 01:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had been using darktable on my iMac however when I upgraded to High Sierra, currently version10.13.4, it will not run and I find it impossible to contact darktable for support, any thoughts ?

05-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best is to open a ticket on darktable's bug support system. Details on how to do this are on the darktable.org website.
05-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Best is to open a ticket on darktable's bug support system. Details on how to do this are on the darktable.org website.
I would but there seems to be no support page and the I find the mailing lists totally confusing.
06-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #10
Forum Member

Bug Workflow - darktable - darktable - photography workflow application

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
I would but there seems to be no support page and the I find the mailing lists totally confusing.
06-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

New version of darktable (2.4.4)

Release release-2.4.4 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub
06-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Now that I have a good hang of the workflow I'm really enjoying Darktable... the only thing I wish for is that it would be a bit faster processing and saving files. Not a huge issue because I'm not a professional making money... in which case I'd probably have a faster computer
06-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #13
Forum Member

Glad you're getting the hang of it. I've seen darktable come a long way since I switched to it four years ago. I couldn't see myself using any other program to process my photos in Linux.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Now that I have a good hang of the workflow I'm really enjoying Darktable... the only thing I wish for is that it would be a bit faster processing and saving files. Not a huge issue because I'm not a professional making money... in which case I'd probably have a faster computer
07-03-2018, 08:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

So Darktable decided to create art on one of my photos while exporting it.

So I exported again and this time it came out right. No idea what happened!

07-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. I hope someone has an explanation.