Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2018, 12:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
? re: printing services in USA

Folks,
I do some of my own printing but want to have some larger prints (even pano's up to about 40"+) made - I've never used a 3rd party lab for printing and I'm interested to get some input/recommendations on companies, soft-proofing using the lab's profiles, etc.

(I'm using LR6 for post processing/printing at home on Epson P600)

Thanks/Bill

03-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Miller's Printing (mpix.com) for me - they've handled film processing, printing snapshots, large calendars, all the way to 36" art prints for hanging in my home - great, quick, and are also quick to respond and correct any errors...
03-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, do you send jpeg or uncompressed (tiff) file?

Do they provide ICC profiles for soft proofing?
Bill
03-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I use Adoramapix for all my printing needs. They have been fantastic. As far as I recall, they do have ICC profiles available. Ive done 3 24x30" prints on metal, and a 20x40" print on acrylic (which I don't believe they do prints on acrylic anymore). All of them have turned out great! Just make sure that your image has the resolution and range to print that big

03-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #5

I have had good results with Adoramapix and ProDPI.

JB
03-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wgosma Quote
Thanks, do you send jpeg or uncompressed (tiff) file?

Do they provide ICC profiles for soft proofing?
Bill

I send jpegs only and refuse any color correction they offer - you'd have to check with them for ICC profiles...
03-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I send jpegs only and refuse any color correction they offer - you'd have to check with them for ICC profiles...
Try “web White wall”

03-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote
I have had good results with Adoramapix and ProDPI.

JB
Thanks....ProDPI looks interesting as they do provide 4 ICC profiles for soft proofing on each of 4 papers. I don't see that offered (any longer) with Adoramapix, unless I'm just missing where to look.

It seems that most of these large companies don't provide soft-proofing ICC profiles - and it sort of makes sense as they probably use many different printers and offer prints on a multitude of media. Maybe I need to try some free test prints from these services to see what I get. Printing at home one gets used to having full control of the workflow, which is not the case on outsourcing final prints. Such is life.

Bill
03-24-2018, 09:44 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 for mpix. I have used them for years for large prints and when I did school portraits. I haven’t ordered from them in about a year, but I use to be able to send files in TIFF format. I also always refuse color corrections.

I had them mess up once and crop the top off a mess of portraits. A quick phone call and they had new prints sent out the same day.
03-25-2018, 05:33 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Try “web White wall”
German engineering...now this looks quite interesting indeed-thanks for posting!
Bill
03-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Nations Photo Lab... Yes they have ICC profiles...
03-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by wgosma Quote
Thanks....ProDPI looks interesting as they do provide 4 ICC profiles for soft proofing on each of 4 papers. I don't see that offered (any longer) with Adoramapix, unless I'm just missing where to look.

It seems that most of these large companies don't provide soft-proofing ICC profiles - and it sort of makes sense as they probably use many different printers and offer prints on a multitude of media. Maybe I need to try some free test prints from these services to see what I get. Printing at home one gets used to having full control of the workflow, which is not the case on outsourcing final prints. Such is life.

Bill
I think Adoramapix has monitor correlation offered on their site somewhere. ProDPI offers free proofs to check your system versus theirs. I did this and we were dead on. I refuse color correction, size/ratio adjustment, and cropping so my images are printed as sent.

JB
03-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Try “web White wall”
Just received the sample packs I ordered from White Wall; my my these folks appear to do impressive work, and they provide ICC soft-proofing profiles for every paper they offer - U.S. website is here WhiteWall.com: Acrylic Photo Prints, Canvas, Metal Prints & much more

Thanks/Bill
03-29-2018, 02:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Got my free 8x10 metal print from Adoramapix that came with my VIP 360 membership. Had to pay for shipping but it was perfectly protected and when I unpacked it, I was very impressed by the mounting and printing. Looks great overall and even has a card with the name of the inspector taped to the mounting frame. Very impressed so far.