Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
? re: printing services in USA

Folks,
I do some of my own printing but want to have some larger prints (even pano's up to about 40"+) made - I've never used a 3rd party lab for printing and I'm interested to get some input/recommendations on companies, soft-proofing using the lab's profiles, etc.

(I'm using LR6 for post processing/printing at home on Epson P600)

Thanks/Bill

03-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Miller's Printing (mpix.com) for me - they've handled film processing, printing snapshots, large calendars, all the way to 36" art prints for hanging in my home - great, quick, and are also quick to respond and correct any errors...
03-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, do you send jpeg or uncompressed (tiff) file?

Do they provide ICC profiles for soft proofing?
Bill
03-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I use Adoramapix for all my printing needs. They have been fantastic. As far as I recall, they do have ICC profiles available. Ive done 3 24x30" prints on metal, and a 20x40" print on acrylic (which I don't believe they do prints on acrylic anymore). All of them have turned out great! Just make sure that your image has the resolution and range to print that big

03-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #5

I have had good results with Adoramapix and ProDPI.

JB
03-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wgosma Quote
Thanks, do you send jpeg or uncompressed (tiff) file?

Do they provide ICC profiles for soft proofing?
Bill

I send jpegs only and refuse any color correction they offer - you'd have to check with them for ICC profiles...
03-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I send jpegs only and refuse any color correction they offer - you'd have to check with them for ICC profiles...
Try “web White wall”
03-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote
I have had good results with Adoramapix and ProDPI.

JB
Thanks....ProDPI looks interesting as they do provide 4 ICC profiles for soft proofing on each of 4 papers. I don't see that offered (any longer) with Adoramapix, unless I'm just missing where to look.

It seems that most of these large companies don't provide soft-proofing ICC profiles - and it sort of makes sense as they probably use many different printers and offer prints on a multitude of media. Maybe I need to try some free test prints from these services to see what I get. Printing at home one gets used to having full control of the workflow, which is not the case on outsourcing final prints. Such is life.

Bill

03-24-2018, 09:44 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 for mpix. I have used them for years for large prints and when I did school portraits. I haven’t ordered from them in about a year, but I use to be able to send files in TIFF format. I also always refuse color corrections.

I had them mess up once and crop the top off a mess of portraits. A quick phone call and they had new prints sent out the same day.
03-25-2018, 05:33 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Try “web White wall”
German engineering...now this looks quite interesting indeed-thanks for posting!
Bill
03-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nations Photo Lab... Yes they have ICC profiles...
03-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by wgosma Quote
Thanks....ProDPI looks interesting as they do provide 4 ICC profiles for soft proofing on each of 4 papers. I don't see that offered (any longer) with Adoramapix, unless I'm just missing where to look.

It seems that most of these large companies don't provide soft-proofing ICC profiles - and it sort of makes sense as they probably use many different printers and offer prints on a multitude of media. Maybe I need to try some free test prints from these services to see what I get. Printing at home one gets used to having full control of the workflow, which is not the case on outsourcing final prints. Such is life.

Bill
I think Adoramapix has monitor correlation offered on their site somewhere. ProDPI offers free proofs to check your system versus theirs. I did this and we were dead on. I refuse color correction, size/ratio adjustment, and cropping so my images are printed as sent.

JB
03-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Try “web White wall”
Just received the sample packs I ordered from White Wall; my my these folks appear to do impressive work, and they provide ICC soft-proofing profiles for every paper they offer - U.S. website is here WhiteWall.com: Acrylic Photo Prints, Canvas, Metal Prints & much more

Thanks/Bill
03-29-2018, 02:44 PM   #14
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Got my free 8x10 metal print from Adoramapix that came with my VIP 360 membership. Had to pay for shipping but it was perfectly protected and when I unpacked it, I was very impressed by the mounting and printing. Looks great overall and even has a card with the name of the inspector taped to the mounting frame. Very impressed so far.