Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2018, 12:12 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Today Was a Good Day - The Print is the Thing

Drove to the old hometown and back this morning and took delivery of a number of fairly large prints. My house is now a temporary display gallery, hehehe, with a few more on the way. Definitely the largest volume of large prints I've ever done at once by far. Man, I don't want to give them up now.
Anyhow... had to share. (Sorry for the poor quality)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
BBB100-1  Photo 
04-10-2018, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Large prints do add a certain something to an image. Enjoy!
04-10-2018, 01:12 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Kudos on not just printing your work, but printing them big and displaying them. Sharing both publicly and privately adds windows to your vision and our world and is so much more meaningful than a blank wall or someone elseʻs art.
04-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Were these on paper or canvas? Let us know who did the work, and are you happy with the print quality?

04-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello Kevin. I know that you are a GR user as I am and I've seen your fine work on flickr. I've recently moved and now have some large blank walls and I'm planning to make some big prints as well. I was wondering, have you done any large prints from the GR ?

Dennis
04-10-2018, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Were these on paper or canvas? Let us know who did the work, and are you happy with the print quality?
None are canvas (I've never been a canvas fan); they are on a variety of substrates and mounting types:

I had three done by FineArtAmerica...
1 direct wood-print, 1 direct metal print, and 1 direct acrylic print. The first two were very good, the acrylic was good except the edges were not well finished.

I also had eight done by my regular high-quality printer, Bumblejax in Seattle whom I cannot recommend enough. I've still never seen their equal on acrylic.
They did
- 3 very large face-mount prints to acrylic, one on satin, two on metallic paper. These three are beyond exceptional. Ridiculously gorgeous, all of them.
- 2 medium-large back-mount (the normal way) prints to aluminum, one metallic, one satin. Awesome looking.
- 3 additional medium large (one a long panorama) prints mounted to either bamboo or birchwood ply. The finish on these is utterly outstanding.

FineArtAmerica is quite decent and half the price of Bumblejax... but in all honesty it looks half the price when they're next to each other. Without direct comparisons I think most would be happy with their results. But for about 6 years now, Bumblejax has been my gold-standard. I've done a fair number of images with them, many film, many digital (this batch was about 2/3 film, 1/3 digi images) and the only time I've had a problem, Bumblejax worked with me to get a new file, reprinted it and sent it out free. Corey, the founder, is just a solid friendly and knowledgeable guy who knows what they heck he's doing. They were one of the first to do acrylic face-mounts, and they're still best I've seen in person myself.

I will say that the metal prints done by FineArtAmerica are a really good value for the quality you get. (I can't say which printer specifically did my pieces from them as they work with a small network of smaller printers around the country).

---------- Post added 04-10-18 at 12:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by denpapp Quote
Hello Kevin. I know that you are a GR user as I am and I've seen your fine work on flickr. I've recently moved and now have some large blank walls and I'm planning to make some big prints as well. I was wondering, have you done any large prints from the GR ?

Dennis
Hey Dennis - thanks. Oddly, no, I haven't done any large prints from a GR (but I did have one in the running that I queued for next time). No real reason other than chance. The GR files are crazy good and can print exceptionally large if they're well-processed. One of the largest in this last print run came from a back-up camera I bought while traveling, a tiny Canon S90, while my GRDIII was for repair (I dropped it into some very wet sand and seized the lens mechanism :-O ). The S90 had an identical sensor to the GRD3 IIRC, though an inferior lens (zoom) with more distortion and not quite as sharp. Still a great performer. My point being, yes you can print a GR image large quite easily; it's a full APS-C sized sensor with arguably the best compact lens made for a camera of that size... it regularly out-resolved my Pentax K-5 with very nice glass on it at the time.

---------- Post added 04-10-18 at 12:25 PM ----------

Admins - I posted this here initially because most of the prints were from my Pentax film cameras but since this conversation has become about printing, feel free to move it to a more appropriate sub!

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-10-2018 at 12:46 PM.
04-10-2018, 08:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks!

04-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Admins - I posted this here initially because most of the prints were from my Pentax film cameras but since this conversation has become about printing, feel free to move it to a more appropriate sub!
Done!