Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Days Ago   #1

Luminar 2018 loads .dng's dull and flat

Does any one else use luminar? I loved Luminar to process my .nef nikon photos but when when I load photos from my new Pentax k1ii they look flat and require more editing. Is this normal or what settings should I change.

5 Days Ago   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtstgeorge Quote
Does any one else use luminar? I loved Luminar to process my .nef nikon photos but when when I load photos from my new Pentax k1ii they look flat and require more editing. Is this normal or what settings should I change.
It may well be normal. How is it with PEF or example K-1 (v1) DNG from someplace like Imaging Resource (LINK)

Steve
5 Days Ago   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It may well be normal.
One question...what are your "custom image" settings? Press ▶ (right arrow) on the 4-way controller to see the current setting. If it is dull like the one in Luminar, what you are seeing is likely the preview JPEG packaged with the RAW data in the DNG. Some programs default to the JPEG when they are unable to render the RAW.

Steve
4 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Digital capture is linear, unedited RAW files appear very dark, dull and flat, if seen without first applying a tone curve.
Most editors apply some sort of default profile, so you see the RAW similar to a regular OoC jpeg.

Probably Luminar has no default profile for your camera and just shows RAW data?
Or you have a flat in-camera jpeg profile like Steve said, and you're just looking at the integrated preview.

4 Days Ago   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote

Probably Luminar has no default profile for your camera and just shows RAW data?
To even see a picture on the monitor, the software must apply some kind of profile with a tone curve.

4 Days Ago   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
To even see a picture on the monitor, the software must apply some kind of profile with a tone curve.
Yeah but if it's y = x then...
4 Days Ago   #7

I'm currently using Lightroom and evaluating Luminar as an alternative and might consider to switch once their asset manager is ready. No real difference between them in picture quality when loading DNG files from my K-3 II. Looks every bit like jpegs from a "normal" setting.
I'm using a Mac, could there be a difference if you use Windows?

Last edited by strongbow; 4 Days Ago at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling
4 Days Ago   #8

Hello from a fellow Pentaxian using Luminar. I just put up a post about creating some videos for Skylum Software for the Japanese market so you can check out my wife and I using and editing pics.
I'm no software engineer, just a guy pressing a shutter button, but I think that with the latest version you can select how it views the RAW files with a profile selector. From what I've heard their should be a digital asset manager coming this year which will be awesome.

Chris

4 Days Ago   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
One question...what are your "custom image" settings? Press ▶ (right arrow) on the 4-way controller to see the current setting. If it is dull like the one in Luminar, what you are seeing is likely the preview JPEG packaged with the RAW data in the DNG. Some programs default to the JPEG when they are unable to render the RAW.

Steve
OK I've got lots to learn. I had it set to auto (factory default) I've only had the camera for three day. So I steped outside and took 4 test shots. one in auto, one in neutral, one in vivid, and one in landscape, then opened each in luminar to see what happened. And that was the problem. Luminar and I like the neutral one best for a starting point.

---------- Post added 04-16-18 at 08:47 PM ----------

Thanks all for the help. I feel much better now. However, I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot the things I wanted the pentax for. But at least now I will be able to edit them

On the other hand can Luminar handle the super resulution files?